1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tongue weight limit

Discussion in 'Towing' started by waynef, Sep 3, 2011.

1. Oct 5, 2012 at 10:56 AM
    shemp

shemp Well-Known Member

Member:
    The rear axle's actual capacity is greater than the entire truck's payload limit, which is limited by GVWR based on other capacities, such as braking capacity. In the very LEAST, the rear axle can support OVER 1500 pounds in addition to the empty weight, as the Tacoma configuration with the greatest payload capacity has a capacity over 1500 pounds. 4x4's and V6's have lower payload capacities despite their added weight being over the FRONT axle because of the GVWR limitations.

Tacoma 4-cyl prerunner ~1500
    Tacoma 4-cyl 4x4 or 6-cyl prerunner ~1400
    Tacoma 6-cyl 4x4 ~1300

Now there is some logic to the added rear axle weight being greater than the actual weight. This is because the load is extended behind the rear axle, this weight is therefore not straight down on the axle, but prying UP on the front of the vehicle. Weight is being transferred from the front axle to the rear axle using the same principle with which a WD hitch transfers trailer weight from the hitch to the front axle of the truck. HOWEVER, Toyota did account for this when establishing the towing limits. Tacoma is designed to support a minimum of 650 pounds on the trailer hitch. Probably a bit less cantilevered out from the hitch like that, but within the safety margin.

Find your GVWR and just don't go over that and you'll be perfectly fine.

Edit: I don't see any mention of 4x4 in your profile, is yours a prerunner?
    1430 payload cap - 500 hitch (the hitch capacity includes its own weight) = 930 pounds available for driver, passengers, fuel, and cargo.

2. Oct 5, 2012 at 11:41 AM
    puckstopper55

puckstopper55 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Long Island
    Vehicle:
    '11 Double Cab TRD Sport, Mag Grey
    tailgate anti-theft Map Light LED's Dome Light LED LP LED Halogen Bed Light Extra D-Rings in bed Anytime Fog Lights Tri-Fold tonnau cover Wet Ok's
    Nope. 4x4 V6 Sport

3. Oct 5, 2012 at 10:01 PM
    sechsgang

sechsgang Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD OR 4WD 6spd
    The 650lbs tongue weight limit assumes weight distribution, which would be difficult to apply with a basket like this.

You'd hope so, as the axle has to carry part of the empty weight of the truck also - besides part of the payload.

Sure, but he'll have the bed full on top of the 800lbs, I am sure. Otherwise he would not need that carrier to begin with, right? So I am assuming the 800 lbs are on top of an already loaded truck - that may be a bit much.

4. Oct 10, 2012 at 5:51 AM
    shemp

shemp Well-Known Member

Member:
    Are you certain about that? I've heard people reference that, but never actually seen it in print anywhere. I know for certain that it is good for at least a 500 pound tongue load without weight distribution.

Not all payload is heavy payload.... Some can be just bulky, a refrigerator, for example.

Products Discussed in

To Top