Notices

Relentless rear bumper towing capacity.

Old 09-06-2011, 04:43 PM   #1
rod8137 is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
Name: Jorge
rod8137's Tacoma Gallery
Relentless rear bumper towing capacity.

I have a 20 foot boat and was wondering will the relentless rear bumper be capable of towing this?
Old 09-06-2011, 04:45 PM   #2
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
You might want to PM Relentlesstaco he would know best.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:05 PM   #3
Air Force:
rod8137's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah I did twice idk if its just not going thrue or what.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:07 PM   #4
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Give it time he gets a lot of PM's
Old 09-06-2011, 05:09 PM   #5
Air Force:
rod8137's Tacoma Gallery
Oh ok haha. Its just weird because in my sent folder it doesn't show that I sent it, is this common. Sorry im new to the forum.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:12 PM   #6
The Man!

JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Yes it is there are settings that need to be changed in order to see them. I could help but im on my phone right now and its a pain to do it here. Maybe someone will chime in and tell you how.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:14 PM   #7
Air Force:
rod8137's Tacoma Gallery
No problem man, I appreciate the response.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:16 PM   #8
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
Look for his phone number. He is quite busy and I have very little luck with PMs.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:17 PM   #9
The Man!

JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Its in your control panel under edit options that's about all I can tell you until I get to a computer.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:19 PM   #10
Air Force:
rod8137's Tacoma Gallery
Ok cool I will look around.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:19 PM   #11
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
Control Panel > Edit Options > (Check Box) Save a copy of sent messages in my Sent Items folder by default
Old 09-06-2011, 05:20 PM   #12
Air Force:
rod8137's Tacoma Gallery
Yup I found it, thanks.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:21 PM   #13
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

And to actually answer your question, Eric doesn't have a number for the towing capacity for his bumpers. I can be confident when I tell you that it would be rated higher than the stock hitch
Old 09-06-2011, 05:22 PM   #14
Air Force:
rod8137's Tacoma Gallery
Oh really is this from personal experience?
Old 09-06-2011, 05:25 PM   #15
Vivid Illumination

Quote:
Originally Posted by rod8137 View Post
Oh really is this from personal experience?
No, I have seen the work that he has done and I talked to him on the phone about it. He doesn't know what it would be rated at, but he did say that this would have a better capacity than the stock one. That doesn't mean that you should go out and tow more than the truck is rated for though...
Old 09-06-2011, 05:26 PM   #16
Air Force:
rod8137's Tacoma Gallery
Of course not haha. But I was just wondering before I spent the big bucks.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:27 PM   #17
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by memario1214 View Post
No, I have seen the work that he has done and I talked to him on the phone about it. He doesn't know what it would be rated at, but he did say that this would have a better capacity than the stock one.
How ?
Old 09-06-2011, 05:27 PM   #18
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by memario1214 View Post
No, I have seen the work that he has done and I talked to him on the phone about it. He doesn't know what it would be rated at, but he did say that this would have a better capacity than the stock one. That doesn't mean that you should go out and tow more than the truck is rated for though...
I believe this was asked recently and they didn't know (well, couldn't give a definitive rating) simply because they don't go through all the testing and certifications that are required for mass produced receivers. He put up a bunch of pictures of what he towed and Memario is correct, they're in all likelihood stronger than most aftermarket receivers.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:28 PM   #19
n00b
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: MJ
MJonAgs32's Tacoma Gallery
Relentless has top quality products and Eric's a great guy, but member kyzmyss gave a fair assessment on the bumper and shed light on the hitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyzmyss View Post
I just wanted to thank Eric for getting me my bumper. I had it powder coated at a local shop and it turned out nice. The powder coating matched up perfectly to my All Pro front bumper.

I wanted to give an impartial review. In no way am I trying to put-down anyone, I just want to be objective so that anyone interested in a Relentless Bumper knows what they are getting...so hear goes...

I received the bumper after a longer wait then expected. I understand Eric is working solo, along with local shops to cut and process for him. This is out of his control. Eric does all the welding, and quality control (from what I am aware of). When I got it, I was stoked!

After it was powder coated I saw a few things that caught my attention. The welds were obvious, though they were all on the underside of the bumper so nothing is exposed. In my opinion, the welds should be ground down some to give it a cleaner look. But, to each his own...

In addition, there was a lot of weld splatter. Eric mentioned he cleaned up a lot of it though after powder coated it was obvious all the bumps that were still on the bumper. I blame this partially on the powder coater as I would expected him to prep the bumper, which obviously he didn't.

The part of the bumper that shows after it was installed has some bends and spots on the bumper that are not totally even. There appears to have been a problem with the bends that caused it to "dent" more so than the opposite side. As such, it shows a bit of flat spots in these areas. If this were a mall crawler, it would bother me a lot. But since it sees dirt and snow often, it doesn't really bother me.

The "new" bumpers come with cut outs that I did not expect. These cut outs are apparently high lift lifting points. I can live with these, but didn't expect or really want them. I didn't know they were on the bumper since the first post didn't show them.

As far as the tow hitch is concerned, it is welded on with no anchor points to the frame. This concerns me as the stock tow hitch appears A LOT more beefier than this one. It actually worries me to try and tow anything. I may very well try to have a local shop fab something so that I can anchor the bumper/hitch to the anchor points the OEM hitch had used. I know Eric said he had tried a few tugs with his bumper, but since nothing is documented/rated, and the bumper comes at my own risk, I'm going to take precautions...

Finally, if you buy one of these bumpers, make sure yours comes with the hardware for the lights and license plates. The stock hardware will not fit with this bumper. The holes are larger than the OEM screws/bolts. My bumper didn't come with the hardware and so I had to go to the hardware store to make it work for now. Eric promised to make it right, and said he'll send me the hardware :thumbsup

All and all a solid looking bumper. I'm happy with the look and install was a snap (aside from the hardware hangup).
Old 09-06-2011, 05:28 PM   #20
Vivid Illumination

Either way, if it is any consolation... I would be more than confident towing with one of Eric's bumpers that is equipped with a hitch. That's just me though. If you wanna talk to him, go to his website and just give him a call