Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Suggested drop for hitch mount??

Old 09-15-2011, 09:38 AM   #1
Kindghost is on a distinguished road

Kindghost's Tacoma Gallery
Suggested drop for hitch mount??

hey guys i just bought my first tacoma and i must say i am lovin it!! i got the tow package on my 2011 prerunner and i was wondering what would be the usual ball mount drop thats recommended? i found one online that says its made especially for the tacomas and it has a 2 3/4" drop. would this be acceptable? it was kind of pricy tho. i'm new to towing too but i won't be towing anything real heavy or anything. maybe you guys with more experience can help me out a little b/c this is also my first truck
Old 09-15-2011, 09:40 AM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Sounds about right. I got a 2 inch drop Reese kit and the drop isn't enough. The Reese kit includes a locking pin that works with our trucks.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:43 AM   #3

yeah i def want a locking pin. people these days would steal it. how much would you say a good ball mount should cost?
Old 09-15-2011, 09:44 AM   #4
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
The Reese has everything. I think it cost me 20 or 30. Check around online.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:56 AM   #6
BELT FED 2OZ. PULL
river rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: River Boats,Mike's & PBR'S Viet-Nam 68&69
Name: Jim
river rat 69's Tacoma Gallery
walmart..... Jim
Old 09-15-2011, 10:00 AM   #7
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by river rat 69 View Post
walmart..... Jim
x2. I got a Reese kit at Wally World for like $30. It incluced the ball mount, 2" ball and a locking pin in a plastic carrying case. The case is the best part, I grease my balls so having a case to put it in afterwards is nice. And yes, I realize how that sounded and didn't see any way around it...
Old 09-15-2011, 10:05 AM   #8
BELT FED 2OZ. PULL
river rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: River Boats,Mike's & PBR'S Viet-Nam 68&69
Name: Jim
river rat 69's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
x2. I got a Reese kit at Wally World for like $30. It incluced the ball mount, 2" ball and a locking pin in a plastic carrying case. The case is the best part, I grease my balls so having a case to put it in afterwards is nice. And yes, I realize how that sounded and didn't see any way around it...
I waxed mine once but never,, hit em with grease
Old 09-15-2011, 10:08 AM   #9
THE OLD TACO721 with a new name.
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
i have a 2” drop that we had laying around. just have to put a ball on it. and on the the locking pin. MAKE sure that the SHAFT if 3” long. since are hitches are a little different and they require one with longer shaft. the 2 1/4” will not work.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:11 AM   #10
ILLINOISTACOMAGUY is on a distinguished road

Navy: CHIEF PETTY OFFICER
Name: Darryl
ILLINOISTACOMAGUY's Tacoma Gallery
I use a 2" and when its all said and done on my stock tacoma it sits about right....axle grease to lube it. I bought mine from Wal-Mart.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:13 AM   #11
Motorboatin' SOB
Fink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Former FF/EMT
Name: Chris
Fink's Tacoma Gallery
Looks like this is pretty well covered, but I will add that I have always been impressed by CURT Manufacturing's products for towing.

Definitely overkill for our little Tacoma's, but they make quality products nonetheless. AutoAnything.com is generally the best place to purchase them, unless you can find a local retailer.

Fink
Old 09-15-2011, 10:21 AM   #12

so whats the the rise have to do with anything? i just don't seem to understand it.

thx for all the input. it looks like i would be good with a 2 in drop, but what rise?
Old 09-15-2011, 10:22 AM   #13
Banned
The kit I posted will work just fine. Or if you want something fancy: http://inventivehitches.com/store/pc/home.asp
Old 09-15-2011, 10:24 AM   #14
davidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: David
davidpick's Tacoma Gallery
i just had to order a 14" drop for mine! i guess that's what happens when you have a 3" lift + having the receiver built up into an aftermarket rear bumper haha.

but seriously, in your situation, a 3" drop should be sufficient for most towing.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:32 AM   #15
Motorboatin' SOB
Fink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Former FF/EMT
Name: Chris
Fink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindghost View Post
so whats the the rise have to do with anything? i just don't seem to understand it.

thx for all the input. it looks like i would be good with a 2 in drop, but what rise?
99% of ball mounts can be flipped - making the ball higher, versus lower. The rise tells you how much higher the ball mount will be should the ball mount be flipped. The drop, which is what most people care about, is how much lower the ball will sit when used conventionally.

Here is a good link that describes just about all aspects of towing & hitch/ball mount measurements - http://www.etrailer.com/faq-ballmount.aspx

Generally, the rise measurement will be 2" less than the drop measurement because of where you measure it from, accounting for the 2" receiver size (on Class III & IV hitches).

Fink
Old 09-15-2011, 10:38 AM   #16

oohhhh.... sounds simple enuf. i will prob never flip it over. thanx.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:00 AM   #17
sechsgang will become famous soon enough
sechsgang's Tacoma Gallery
It will depend on the trailer.
I used a straight one (no drop) on my popup, no weight distribution hitch. The tongue weight dropped the rear of the truck so far down that the trailer was still nose down, LOL, I almost needed a rise, not drop.
My current TT requires a 2" drop I think.
But my truck is sits about 2" higher than stock. (1" blocks plus spring TSB)