Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

My truck is wimpy...

Old 09-23-2011, 07:53 PM   #21
Derp
Derpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
Derpy Derek's Tacoma Gallery
LOL.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:55 PM   #22
Trying to Spread Common Sense and Rational Thought
tx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 1st Fast Co, Golf 2/4
Name: Zech (pronounced zak)
tx_shooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sechsgang View Post
This is kind of funny, but what air bags have to do with it is that people believe that air bags help them tow more because they make it look right. But that is wrong, unfortunately.
Measure your tongue weight, and get a WDH if your truck looks like a little bitch draggin its nuts on the pavement.
And if your tongue weight is just plain too much for a Tacoma (which unfortunately can't take much), get a bigger truck or tow less.

Yeah, because something that helps stabilize your truck's body while under load can't be good for it. That excessive body roll and sag is fine... you're right. Air bags are a farce... the whole air support industry right up to big rigs are a farce. For the record, I belive in Santa Clause and the Easter Rabbit.

If my truck's "sag" was the measure for how much it can haul/pull then it seems that 200 lbs would be the limit.
Old 09-24-2011, 04:39 AM   #23
tx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Now that I am back to a regular keyboard:

The bags help support the weight of the trailer on the truck frame. This helps keep the back of the truck from diving and lifting the front of the truck. It should be obvious why the front of the truck having a force lifting it up is a bad thing; but I'll cover it anyways. The reduced weight on the front reduces the front tires contact which effects steering, braking, and ride quality. All bad things to give up; especially when towing.
Old 09-24-2011, 04:53 AM   #24
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
I would get the rear Spring TSB, measure the correct drop/rise you need to match your truck's hitch to the trailer tongue.

I towed my sleds in a enclosed trailer 4 yrs with no problems in the same configuration as your truck.
Loading placement also makes a difference as noted.

I didn't have to do anything else to my truck other than the TSB (free per customer complaint during warranty period) & correct bar mount.
Old 09-24-2011, 05:02 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon's Mom View Post
I would get the rear Spring TSB, measure the correct drop/rise you need to match your truck's hitch to the trailer tongue.

I towed my sleds in a enclosed trailer 4 yrs with no problems in the same configuration as your truck.
Loading placement also makes a difference as noted.

I didn't have to do anything else to my truck other than the TSB (free per customer complaint during warranty period) & correct bar mount.
The TSB would be nice - but in my situation I'm way out of mileage/warranty. Although I have found a hook up for a TSB set of springs.
Old 09-24-2011, 05:09 AM   #26
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tx_shooter View Post
The TSB would be nice - but in my situation I'm way out of mileage/warranty. Although I have found a hook up for a TSB set of springs.
oh I see...I was reading/replying to the OPs first post & he said he had an 11.
Out of Warranty is a whole different ballgame though it looks like you have it figured out...hope it works out for you too! Yeah the tsb out of warranty situation stinks for people who get a truck & previous owner did not want it & they do.
Old 09-24-2011, 05:59 AM   #27
pudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
pudge151's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
unless your hookup is giving them for free dont waste you time or money, the TSB springs are barely an upgrade over the 3 leaf pack.
Old 09-24-2011, 06:04 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by pudge151 View Post
unless your hookup is giving them for free dont waste you time or money, the TSB springs are barely an upgrade over the 3 leaf pack.
Damn near free and he is helping to install them.
Old 09-24-2011, 07:14 AM   #29
sechsgang will become famous soon enough
sechsgang's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Now that I am back to a regular keyboard:

The bags help support the weight of the trailer on the truck frame. This helps keep the back of the truck from diving and lifting the front of the truck. It should be obvious why the front of the truck having a force lifting it up is a bad thing; but I'll cover it anyways. The reduced weight on the front reduces the front tires contact which effects steering, braking, and ride quality. All bad things to give up; especially when towing.
That's all correct, tx. The problem is that the air bags won't help with the reduced weight on the front tires, they just make it look like it. With or without air bags, the weight on the axles will be about the same. Even with air bags you will have the reduced weight on the front wheels with all it's problems.
All the air bags (or Timbrens that I have) do is helping weak springs. You need a WDH if you want to distribute weight, but that does not work with a 5th wheel.
Old 09-24-2011, 07:42 AM   #30

Quote:
That's all correct, tx. The problem is that the air bags won't help with the reduced weight on the front tires, they just make it look like it. With or without air bags, the weight on the axles will be about the same. Even with air bags you will have the reduced weight on the front wheels with all it's problems.
All the air bags (or Timbrens that I have) do is helping weak springs. You need a WDH if you want to distribute weight, but that does not work with a 5th wheel.

Ok... you win. I can't argue with an idiot. They always pull me down to their level and beat me with experience. Damn it. One of these days I'll learn.
Old 09-24-2011, 07:44 AM   #31
sechsgang will become famous soon enough
sechsgang's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
One of these days I'll learn.
I hope so. Especially about towing, tongue weight and weight distribution. You did make a start here.
No need to get personal though if you don't understand.

Here is something to read for you:
http://www.lets-getaway.com/hitches-...stribution.htm

Quote:
Will Poly-Air Bags assist with weight distribution ?

When you push down on the handles of a wheelbarrow the front rises. That's what happens to the towing vehicle when you connect the caravan - the front wheels tend to lift, therefore reducing steering control.
Adding poly air bags is like stiffening the legs of the wheelbarrow. Certainly worth doing if the originals are too weak/soft. But it does not address the real problem which is, like the front of that wheelbarrow, the front wheels of the car tend to lift.
A weight distributing hitch addresses the latter problem and is necessary to have.
Old 09-24-2011, 07:49 AM   #32
"Old Timer," compliments of 11Taco2.7
rleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Master Sergeant, Training Superintendent, 67th Network Warfare Wing
Name: Bob
rleeharris's Tacoma Gallery
As stated above, new leaf packs will solve this problem... and then level out the front.
Old 09-24-2011, 07:53 AM   #33
Canadian Member
Scooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Scooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You should find out what the tongue weight is first. Sagging does not depend on the weight of the trailer towed, but the tongue weight. A simple solution would be to move the quads back on the trailer if the tongue weight is too high.
Air bags are not really the solution. They just make it feel / look better, but they do not change the weight added to the rear or the weight removed from the front. Only better weight distribution or a WDH will do that.
X2
Old 09-24-2011, 05:32 PM   #34
kucelkj is on a distinguished road
Name: Ken
kucelkj's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I'm installing Firestone Ride Rites tomorrow... baggin is where it is at.
He man, can you let me know how your install goes, how long it took and what difference you noticed?

Thanks,
Old 09-26-2011, 07:03 AM   #35
Gregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gregman's Tacoma Gallery
I installed Firestone Ride-rite air bags last year and it made a big difference, I love them.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:21 AM   #36
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
I tow an 18' camper about 3200# with the spring TSB no air bags no WD hitch but the tongue weight is correct. Handles fine and the lights are not in the trees. I also fill it with fire wood with out a problem.