Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

My truck is wimpy...

Old 09-23-2011, 03:33 PM   #1
kucelkj is on a distinguished road
Name: Ken
kucelkj's Tacoma Gallery
My truck is wimpy...

I recently towed a 6x12 trailer with 3 quads on it. The back end of my truck was sagging worse than an old set of tits. Can someone let me know what to do about it. New springs? Will the truck ride hard afterwards?

2011 4 dr 4x4 taco

Thanks,

-Ken
Old 09-23-2011, 03:33 PM   #2
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
look up spring TSB
Old 09-23-2011, 03:35 PM   #3
pudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
pudge151's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97yota4wd View Post
look up spring TSB
this is a good idea, it wont be the solution though.

you may need some aftermarket bumpstops or some air bag helpers if you plan on hauling all that weight often, or get a WD hitch
Old 09-23-2011, 03:42 PM   #4
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pudge151 View Post
this is a good idea, it wont be the solution though.

you may need some aftermarket bumpstops or some air bag helpers if you plan on hauling all that weight often, or get a WD hitch

that is the reason for the TSB springs

and yeah air bags will help but not needed unless your towing over 5klbs imo

the tsb leaf springs will handle hauling 3 quads just fine
Old 09-23-2011, 03:46 PM   #6
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilidogrc View Post
Ome leaf pack.
Yup

But be aware it lifts the rear 2 1/2" - 3"
Old 09-23-2011, 03:48 PM   #7
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Skip the TSB and go for bags. They will help more.
Old 09-23-2011, 03:50 PM   #8
pudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97yota4wd View Post
that is the reason for the TSB springs

and yeah air bags will help but not needed unless your towing over 5klbs imo

the tsb leaf springs will handle hauling 3 quads just fine
im not sure if you have a 2nd gen, but i have an 08, i did the TSB, it barely helped at all with hauling a load, i cant put 400 lbs in the back without bottoming out the rear susp, pre and port TSB, when I have 4 adults in the truck and go over bumps in the road it bottoms out. thus i got air bags and im very happy to say, no more bottoming out
Old 09-23-2011, 03:53 PM   #9
kucelkj's Tacoma Gallery
What's the deal with air bags? Are they shock replacements? What brand? Where do I get em?
Old 09-23-2011, 03:54 PM   #10
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Firestone bags. They are helper bags. Search search search.
Old 09-23-2011, 03:57 PM   #11
THE OLD TACO721 with a new name.
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
oh dang. i guess will se what mine does with a 7X12 and a side by side and 1 atv. think im going riding tomorrow.
Old 09-23-2011, 04:01 PM   #12
kucelkj's Tacoma Gallery
I'm down with the bags. Thanks everyone!!!!

Bags beat sagging tits any day.

Go riding everyone!!!!
Old 09-23-2011, 05:14 PM   #13
sechsgang will become famous soon enough
sechsgang's Tacoma Gallery
You should find out what the tongue weight is first. Sagging does not depend on the weight of the trailer towed, but the tongue weight. A simple solution would be to move the quads back on the trailer if the tongue weight is too high.
Air bags are not really the solution. They just make it feel / look better, but they do not change the weight added to the rear or the weight removed from the front. Only better weight distribution or a WDH will do that.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:25 PM   #14
Trying to Spread Common Sense and Rational Thought
tx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 1st Fast Co, Golf 2/4
Name: Zech (pronounced zak)
tx_shooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kucelkj View Post
I'm down with the bags. Thanks everyone!!!!

Bags beat sagging tits any day.

Go riding everyone!!!!

I'm installing Firestone Ride Rites tomorrow... baggin is where it is at.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:36 PM   #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by tx_shooter View Post
I'm installing Firestone Ride Rites tomorrow... baggin is where it is at.
Make sure you also practice how to climb out of a ditch and turn your truck / trailer back over if airbags is all you rely on to increase your towing capacity! LOL.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:41 PM   #16
Trying to Spread Common Sense and Rational Thought
tx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 1st Fast Co, Golf 2/4
Name: Zech (pronounced zak)
tx_shooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sechsgang View Post
Make sure you also practice how to climb out of a ditch and turn your truck / trailer back over if airbags is all you rely on to increase your towing capacity! LOL.

I grew up towing... not an idiot. The bags are just going to help my truck not look like a little bitch draggin its nuts on the pavement when I hook up a trailer to it. They are going to help support the added weight since I still have the stock 3 leaf pack. I bought the truck used after the 36k mile mark.

As for how air bags have shit to do with my truck flipping and ending up in the ditch; care to explain that one?
Old 09-23-2011, 07:49 PM   #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by tx_shooter View Post
I grew up towing... not an idiot. The bags are just going to help my truck not look like a little bitch draggin its nuts on the pavement when I hook up a trailer to it. They are going to help support the added weight since I still have the stock 3 leaf pack. I bought the truck used after the 36k mile mark.

As for how air bags have shit to do with my truck flipping and ending up in the ditch; care to explain that one?
This is kind of funny, but what air bags have to do with it is that people believe that air bags help them tow more because they make it look right. But that is wrong, unfortunately.
Measure your tongue weight, and get a WDH if your truck looks like a little bitch draggin its nuts on the pavement.
And if your tongue weight is just plain too much for a Tacoma (which unfortunately can't take much), get a bigger truck or tow less.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:50 PM   #18

Old 09-23-2011, 07:51 PM   #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by pudge151 View Post
LOL, I agree.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:52 PM   #20
Senior NEWBIE
Tigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Isaac
Tigahshark's Tacoma Gallery
Airbag helpers sounds like it should do the trick!