Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Tires for Towing Boat

Old 09-28-2011, 10:59 AM   #1
T Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T Fades's Tacoma Gallery
Tires for Towing Boat

Want to get a fishing boat (17' bass tracker) and was wondering if anybody has a preference for the best tires to tow a boat with. In particular, I am concerned with the slippery boat ramps (either slimy pavement or loose gravel). Truck is a '11 DCLB PreRunner v6 (not 4x4).

Also, do you guys without 4x4 keep LSD on or off when launching a boat?

Sorry if this has been asked, and if so, can you point me to the thread.

Thx.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:01 AM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
BFG ATs are always good.

I would use ALSD.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:59 PM   #3
sechsgang will become famous soon enough
sechsgang's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
BFG ATs are always good.

I would use ALSD.
+1 on both.
You'll have to be careful on some ramps with a non 4x4. I needed 4WD a few times and really really really needed it twice (had to lock the rear those two times: slimy, over grown, steep saltwater ramp).
Old 09-28-2011, 05:53 PM   #4
Goldstar225 is on a distinguished road
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tom
Goldstar225's Tacoma Gallery
Interesting. I also have a 2011 DC Pre-runner, 4X2 and I pull a 17 foot bass tracker. The ramps have been no problem at all. I haven't had to bother with the ALSD button yet. Next week I give it the acid test in the White River Refuge. 45 degree concrete ramp surrounded by Gumbo Mud that when wet is the devils own concoction. If I can make it up that ramp, I'll not concern myself ever again. I'm running the stock dunlops but plan to get some all terrains at some point.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:45 PM   #5
sechsgang will become famous soon enough
sechsgang's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldstar225 View Post
Interesting. I also have a 2011 DC Pre-runner, 4X2 and I pull a 17 foot bass tracker. The ramps have been no problem at all. I haven't had to bother with the ALSD button yet. Next week I give it the acid test in the White River Refuge. 45 degree concrete ramp surrounded by Gumbo Mud that when wet is the devils own concoction. If I can make it up that ramp, I'll not concern myself ever again. I'm running the stock dunlops but plan to get some all terrains at some point.
Have you ever launched in salt water?
Old 09-29-2011, 08:02 AM   #7
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
I would avoid the steeper ramps and any quality all weather tire will work on concrete ramps.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:12 AM   #8
Will The Thrill
Warhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
Warhorseforever's Tacoma Gallery
Haven't launched with the Tacoma yet but when I launch a boat in the Chevy 1500 4x4 I always put it in low gear. I've seen people launch on slippery ramps in D that when it shift it slips and slides back. I'd say low gear, ALSD, nice easy throttle control, and you'll do fine. Also we run BFG AT's and haven't had a complaint about them yet. You should be fine on any decent at tire or even any all weather tire.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:29 AM   #9
T Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T Fades's Tacoma Gallery
Good stuff guys, really appreciate it.

Was thinking of eventually getting BFG ATs, so it is good to hear they are up to the task.

Good to hear the stock Dunlops do ok (thanks Goldstar). Please let me know how the devils ramp works out for you. Regarding your bass tracker, how do you like it? This will be my first boat that I owned (I always rent those aluminum boats with 8hp at marinas), but really like bass trackers aluminum hull, flat deck, swivel seats, hopefully a livewell and some storage.

As Warhorse mentioned, I think to ensure there are no problems, I will use low gear, go super easy on the throttle, and ingage LSD.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:33 PM   #10
Banned
hawking is on a distinguished road
Name: Stevie
hawking's Tacoma Gallery
It all depends on the quality of the ramp. A good concrete ramp with perpendicular grooves will offer incredible traction. I go in and out with my boat (18 foot fiberglass outboard ski boat) in 2wd, no slip at all ever (no locker, never needed alsd) -- stock dunlops. This ramp does NOT require the back wheels to touch the water. In fact, the boat is floating while the wheels are still over 2 feet from the water.

However, I do know of a boat ramp that would give you problems with a 4x4 locked front and back with gnarly mudders. I've seen plenty getting "helped" out of the hole.

The key is to know what you're going into and make sure that you've got the proper gear to recover yourself if there is a question of whether or not you'll make it out.
Old 09-30-2011, 02:58 AM   #11
Goldstar225 is on a distinguished road
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tom
Goldstar225's Tacoma Gallery
T Fades:I really enjoy the Tracker. For my use it's almost ideal. I'm running a 70 HP Yamaha. There's ample room for two to fish, three if they pay attention during the cast. Compared to the 14' jon boats I've used the past 18 years, the Tracker was a big step up. Certainly nothing like the full on bass boats the rest of my family has but it completely fulfills my needs.

sechsgang: I've never used a saltwater ramp. I presume from your inquiry that they are a different animal from a freshwater ramp? Bear in mind that the OP and I are retrieving a Tracker that has a combined boat/trailer weight of 1500 - 1800 pounds, not a huge heavy boat like many on the site have.