Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Plug in wiring harness vs. dedicated circuit

Old 09-28-2011, 04:04 PM   #1
Dewey7015 is on a distinguished road
Dewey7015's Tacoma Gallery
Plug in wiring harness vs. dedicated circuit

Hey guys,
I have an 09 DC, access cab. I am towing a small (under 10 feet) trailer with brake lights and side markers..
My question is this, Will a plug in harness be enough? (2.1 amp capacity), or do i need to go with a dedicated circuit type system?
This truck won't be pulling enclosed trailers with 100 different lights, just the basic.
thanks in advance
D.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:10 PM   #2
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
I recommend a setup that draws power from a dedicated battery wire no matter how small the trailer. They're not very expensive.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:27 PM   #3
sechsgang will become famous soon enough
sechsgang's Tacoma Gallery
2.1A @ 12V is about 25W.
What is the wattage of the brake light bulbs? I bet it's at least 25W each. So no, I don't think that harness would be enough.

Where would that plug in harness plug into?
Old 09-28-2011, 10:07 PM   #4
Jerry Bear has a spectacular aura aboutJerry Bear has a spectacular aura about
Name: Jerry
Jerry Bear's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoose View Post
I recommend a setup that draws power from a dedicated battery wire no matter how small the trailer. They're not very expensive.
I agree with the Moose.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:58 AM   #5
The bottom of the package at walmart says 2.1 amp..
Dedicated circuit it is then. You know the next ? Is coming... Anyone know where to get them? Is it called a trailer power inverter? Converter?
Thanks again.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:08 AM   #6
Banned
hawking is on a distinguished road
Name: Stevie
hawking's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey7015 View Post
The bottom of the package at walmart says 2.1 amp..
Dedicated circuit it is then. You know the next ? Is coming... Anyone know where to get them? Is it called a trailer power inverter? Converter?
Thanks again.
Buy it from Toyota. As far as I understand, the OEM trailer wiring harness is the only option for a dedicated circuit. It plugs in to two plugs by the driver's kick panel (one for the converter box, the other for the actual wire), and adds a couple fuses as well as a single RELAY into the fuse panel under the hood. Should cost about $100. At the parts counter of your Toyota dealership, refer to it as a "trailer wiring harness".

The really nice thing about this trailer wiring harness is that if you short something out on your trailer, it won't take out the truck's tail lights with it.

Note that the tail lights (all of them) on the truck, run on a single 10 amp fuse. That includes brakes, signals, backup lights, and tail. It doesn't leave much for running a trailer.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:33 AM   #7
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Etrailer.com
Old 09-29-2011, 09:20 PM   #8
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytower View Post
Etrailer.com
Yep.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:27 PM   #9
For a Gen 2 Tacoma which came without the factory towing package, the part number of the kit to add a 4-wire trailer socket is 08921-04960. When I bought mine, the lowest price I could find was from a Toyota dealer on eBay. Just search titles and descriptions for that part number.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:37 PM   #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawking View Post
Note that the tail lights (all of them) on the truck, run on a single 10 amp fuse. That includes brakes, signals, backup lights, and tail.
I have to disagree with you there. I have the 2010 Toyota Tacoma Electrical Wiring Diagram book in front of me. It says that:

The backup lights are powered by the 10 Amp IG1 fuse.

The stop lights are powered by the 10 Amp STOP fuse.

The tail lights are powered by the 10 Amp TAIL fuse.

The turn lights are powered by the 15 Amp TRN-HAZ fuse.

The other Gen 2 Tacomas should be the same.
Old 09-30-2011, 03:32 AM   #11
As always, a wealth of knowledge, along with multiple opinions. Love it!!
Old 09-30-2011, 08:47 AM   #12
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
You're better off with a dedicated power line from the battery. You need a converter for the turn signals anyway.