Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Valley Hitch Install w/ Pics

Old 09-29-2011, 06:33 PM   #1
snowdrifter will become famous soon enough
snowdrifter's Tacoma Gallery
Valley Hitch Install w/ Pics

Have been really happy with my new Tacoma since I picked it up, but knew it needed a trailer hitch before I even left the dealer. Fast forward a few months and I finally got around to the upgrade. Ordered the following from etrailer.com:

http://www.etrailer.com/p-V82790.html

http://www.etrailer.com/p-118496.html

Pretty self explanatory install. Took about two hours, but took my time and had to deal with some rain.

The hitch arrived but had ripped through the box. No damage to the hitch though.

Before.

Before.

Remove these two bolts to remove the tail lights.

Easy install and everything went as expected. Haven't towed anything yet, but anxious to see how the 2TR-FE does.
Old 09-30-2011, 05:20 AM   #2
Banned
hawking is on a distinguished road
Name: Stevie
hawking's Tacoma Gallery
Be careful with trailer lights. You need to be aware that "circuit protected" only means that it will protect against SHORTS, not against excessive load. Your tail lights are all connected through a small 10 amp fuse -- when everything is all up and running, it comes pretty close to the limit withOUT a trailer connected. If you exceed 10 amps, you WILL blow the fuse and take out ALL your tail and trailer lights. Make sure that you bring spare fuses, and TEST every trailer with EVERYTHING GOING, which means headlights, brakes, reverse lights, maybe 4-way blinkers.

I recommend only pulling trailers with LED bulbs.
Old 10-03-2011, 03:51 AM   #3
snowdrifter will become famous soon enough
snowdrifter's Tacoma Gallery
Got to use the hitch for the first time yesterday. Pulled my 5x10 utility trailer full of furniture, total trip was about 100 miles. The Tacoma did fine, as expected. I could feel the trailer, but no trouble getting to or maintaining speed. And no problems with the lights, checked them twice before I left. So far +1 for the Valley Hitch and etrailer.com.