Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

need help with trailer lights ASAP

Old 10-02-2011, 11:09 AM   #1
98_mud_bug
98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed

98_Mud_bug's Tacoma Gallery
need help with trailer lights ASAP

We are trying to hook up our Boy scout trailer to my dads 03 double cab, and it is a 7 pin so we got a 4pin to 7 pin adapter. well we plugged it in and the lights worked for a few minutes, we had brake lights, and blinkers but no running lights. well we started tracing wires out and could never find a problem in the wires with the test light. we made it back to the contoller box that is behind the back seat and we didnt have any connections that were hot. now none of the lights work. no brakes or blinkers or anything, I have checked all the fuses under the dash and under the hood. any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:27 AM   #2
40 Year Toyota/Chrysler Tech/ASE Master
Tacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Tacoma Mike's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98_Mud_bug View Post
We are trying to hook up our Boy scout trailer to my dads 03 double cab, and it is a 7 pin so we got a 4pin to 7 pin adapter. well we plugged it in and the lights worked for a few minutes, we had brake lights, and blinkers but no running lights. well we started tracing wires out and could never find a problem in the wires with the test light. we made it back to the contoller box that is behind the back seat and we didnt have any connections that were hot. now none of the lights work. no brakes or blinkers or anything, I have checked all the fuses under the dash and under the hood. any help would be greatly appreciated.
Unplug the trailer and see if you have everything in the truck.
If you have a test light you can probe the connector on the truck.
That will help you look at the trailer or truck for the problem.

Possible a bad ground on the trailer if you have truck lights and output at the 7 way.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:35 AM   #3
98_mud_bug
98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed

everything on the truck works fine. thats whats confusing me. all the lights worked but now they dont. it sounds like a blown fuse but i have checked all of them.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:41 AM   #4
Tacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
everything on the truck works fine. thats whats confusing me. all the lights worked but now they dont. it sounds like a blown fuse but i have checked all of them.
Ok. the truck works fine now.. So the truck is not the issue.

If you can see if you have power at the 7 way then we can eliminate something.

If you don't have power to the 7 way lamps, turn, brakes then it sounds like you lost the box. Remember your only using a few connectors on that adapter. make sure your probing the ones you need.

This isn't a factory tow package is it ??
Old 10-02-2011, 11:57 AM   #5
98_mud_bug

yes it its factory, i was thinking somebody spliced it in but it has toyota stamped in it. im thinking the box went bad.
Old 10-02-2011, 12:01 PM   #6

Quote:
yes it its factory, i was thinking somebody spliced it in but it has toyota stamped in it. im thinking the box went bad.
I agree.
FYI i can't remember off the top of my head but some of the earlier ones had an inline fuse to protect the box. I'm not saying yours has one but just do a quick look around. sorry I can't help you more.
Hope you get those scouts to camp.......
Old 10-02-2011, 01:17 PM   #7
98_mud_bug

i found it, there are 4 inline fuses below the box and one of those were blown. sweet relief because the box is expensive. and we actually just got back from camp this mornin.
Old 10-02-2011, 01:25 PM   #8

Quote:
i found it, there are 4 inline fuses below the box and one of those were blown. sweet relief because the box is expensive. and we actually just got back from camp this mornin.
ALRIGHT!!!! GOOD FOR YOU.

Guess the top of my head still has something in there..