Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Opinion on trailer?

Old 10-03-2011, 04:05 PM   #1
Trent is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrent is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrent is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrent is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrent is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrent is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrent is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrent is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrent is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrent is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrent is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Trent's Tacoma Gallery
Opinion on trailer?

The wife and I are looking at medium sized travel trailers for our family of four's growing camping addiction.

Found a pretty good deal on a 2011 Tracer Micro 225M camper locally, and I'd like you guys' opinion on it.

It's a 25' tandem axle (w/ electric brakes) with a dry weight of 3145 lbs. It seems pretty nose heavy though with a tongue weight of 525lbs.

That's my biggest concern. I'm getting the dealer to throw in a weight distribution hitch, but I'm not sure if that buys me enough room on the tongue weight.

My truck does not have the factory tow package, but I do have a Class III aftermarket hitch, a transmission cooler, brake controller, and Firestone Ride-Rite airbags.

My Class III hitch has a tongue weight limit of 500 lbs, and 550 with a WD hitch.

Seems like cutting it a bit close maybe?

Note that we never camp anywhere without hookups, so the tanks will always be empty.
Old 10-03-2011, 04:16 PM   #2
Buckeye Member
cc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: HT1st Class
Name: Chas
cc350's Tacoma Gallery
To much tongue weight! They give you a dry weight. By the time you load her up and fill the propane you'll be way over the top limit...
Old 10-03-2011, 04:16 PM   #3
pudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
pudge151's Tacoma Gallery
i think 525 is too much for out trucks. you say tanks will empty but what if you need them full just once, or you back stuff in the trailer. i think you want to be closer to 400#
Old 10-03-2011, 04:19 PM   #4
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pudge151 View Post
i think 525 is too much for out trucks. you say tanks will empty but what if you need them full just once, or you back stuff in the trailer. i think you want to be closer to 400#
x2. I wouldn't, especially without the tow package. You'll be well over your limit for sure.
Old 10-03-2011, 04:21 PM   #5
the Nightman cometh!
jjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
If it were close the other way (meaning if you were slightly under), but slightly over is a risk, especially like Pudge and cc mentioned, extra gear adds more weight. You may not fill the tanks until you get to the campsite, but what if you don't empty them before leaving.
Old 10-03-2011, 04:27 PM   #6
Trent is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrent is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrent is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrent is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrent is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrent is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrent is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrent is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrent is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrent is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrent is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Trent's Tacoma Gallery
Would you guys still say this if I were able to source a Class IV OEM hitch?

Not that I'm discounting what you guys are saying at all. I'm concerned about it too. That's why I'm asking.

I really can't understand why a trailer that is so light has such a friggin' heavy nose.
Old 10-03-2011, 04:50 PM   #7
dave in maine is on a distinguished road
Army: combat mp long ago
Name: dave
dave in maine's Tacoma Gallery
if you store stuff in back of the axles won't that lighten the tongue weight?
Old 10-03-2011, 04:52 PM   #8
ILLINOISTACOMAGUY is on a distinguished road

Navy: CHIEF PETTY OFFICER
Name: Darryl
ILLINOISTACOMAGUY's Tacoma Gallery
I think they make a weighted bumper for trailers also..that would lighten the weight up front.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:29 PM   #9
Earthlings are fun to watch!
Goober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Goober's Tacoma Gallery
My last trailer's dry hitch weight is listed at 279lbs. I weighed it loaded and it ws 550lbs. set up and I didn't have the battery which adds another 40lbs. Look at Trail-lite trailers.
http://www.trail-lite.com/PDFs/2012/...ilers-2012.pdf
Most Floorplans Rated for 3,500 Lbs. Tow Vehicles
Old 10-04-2011, 07:00 AM   #10
JDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
JDCPA's Tacoma Gallery
Weight limits are established for a reason. You might get away with pulling that much weight for a while but it is too much for the Tacoma when loaded. There will come a time you regret your choice.

One of the things you are overlooking is that the trailer towing capacity is reduced by passengers and other gear that are inside the truck itself. You will very quickly exceed the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (which is everything combined) with a trailer of that size and potentially endanger your family by operating the vehicle beyond its design limits.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:26 AM   #11
sechsgang will become famous soon enough
sechsgang's Tacoma Gallery
As everybody said, this is too much, especially the tongue weight. The real tongue weight after adding batteries and gear in the trailer will be more than 700lbs, believe me.
My TT says dry tongue weight is 440lbs, and I measured it to be 600lbs WITHOUT ANYTHING loaded in the trailer, as towed off the dealers lot. That's because of the added options (A/C, water heater, etc.) and the dual battery set up.
The dry weight numbers really don't mean much, you would not be happy towing that trailer with 4 people in the truck.
Old 10-04-2011, 02:02 PM   #12
XMF - Extreme Mexican Food fo Life!
fajitas21 has much to be proud offajitas21 has much to be proud offajitas21 has much to be proud offajitas21 has much to be proud offajitas21 has much to be proud offajitas21 has much to be proud offajitas21 has much to be proud offajitas21 has much to be proud offajitas21 has much to be proud offajitas21 has much to be proud of

Name: Lee
fajitas21's Tacoma Gallery
Agreed, watch the payload. I have a Silverado now and my Tow rating is 9600 lbs, but it doesn't really matter because by the time you add the hitch weight to my payload of the truck, and the people in it, you max out the GVWR way before you max the tow rating.

Also, weight distribution hitches move weight off of the rear axle using torsion bars, but they do not lighten tongue weight, it is still what it is, it's just changing the axle loading.
Old 10-04-2011, 02:13 PM   #13
pudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
pudge151's Tacoma Gallery
how much you wanna bet the OP still buys this trailer
Old 10-04-2011, 02:52 PM   #14
sechsgang will become famous soon enough
sechsgang's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
That would be like me. And then he's out shopping for a new truck. Just like me, LOL.
Only difference is in my case people said I'll be ok with the trailer. And I thought so, too. A few trips to the scales taught me otherwise.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:49 AM   #15
Trent's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Insanity is asking for advice, getting a consensus, and then just doing what you wanted to do anyway.

No sir, I am not buying this camper. Already informed the dealer.