Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Miles

Old 10-07-2011, 05:46 PM   #1
flyguy51 is on a distinguished road
Name: Dave
flyguy51's Tacoma Gallery
Miles

I just got back from my trip to BC and my Taco (2010 double cab with V6 and auto transmission) just keeps blowing my mind. I towed my boat, a 17.9 foot Lowe with 130 Honda Motor weighing approx. 2700 lbs., without any problems. It's a little over 1800 miles one way and even with the long halls up mountains my little truck just kept cranking. In the first 2 days of the trip I logged over 1000 miles from Flagstaff AZ to Missoula MT. The total trip was 4859.5 miles of which over 3800 were towing the boat. I also backed into a ditch and had the truck resting on the frame in front of the back wheels. Put it in 4 Low and got out just fine. Any way I just can't believe what a capable truck it is and it just keeps surprising me with the stuff it will do.

There were a few times that I got worried about the transmission overheating while going over some mountains which just kept going up and up. It did hunt for gears even though I had the OD locked out. Maybe I just need to slow down some and enjoy the scenery some. Does anyone know if there are any really good tranny fluid coolers on the market?
Old 10-07-2011, 05:49 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
The "hunting" you were hearing was more than likely the torque convertor locking and unlocking. I would add a tranny cooler if I was doing any kind of towing but I don't have to since my truck has the tow package.
Old 10-08-2011, 02:00 PM   #3
Ainokea
RecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
RecklessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
The "hunting" you were hearing was more than likely the torque convertor locking and unlocking. I would add a tranny cooler if I was doing any kind of towing but I don't have to since my truck has the tow package.

Tow packages FTMFW! love them tranny coolers! i towed a 3500lb boat up to the high sieras from basically 1000ft to aproximately 7800ft in elevation. Was a pretty crazy climb but truck pulled it up the hill flawlessly
Old 10-08-2011, 10:45 PM   #4
My Tacoma does have a tow package so does it have a tranny cooler already in addition to the oil cooler?
Old 10-09-2011, 07:45 PM   #5
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Supra TT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguy51 View Post
My Tacoma does have a tow package so does it have a tranny cooler already in addition to the oil cooler?
Correct
Old 10-11-2011, 06:59 PM   #7
My trailer just has bearing buddies on it. I had the boat and trailer serviced just before I left for BC.