Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

trailer brake controllers

Old 10-26-2011, 04:49 PM   #1
tim allan has a spectacular aura abouttim allan has a spectacular aura about

tim allan's Tacoma Gallery
trailer brake controllers

what kind do you use and how do you like it?
Old 10-27-2011, 09:24 PM   #2
sechsgang will become famous soon enough
sechsgang's Tacoma Gallery
Ford built in controller soon.
Towed with it last weekend - my trailer, friends truck. Best thing I ever experienced. Truck is on order, TBC comes with it.

In my Tacoma, I have a cheap one. Next time I would spend the extra money for a Prodigy P3. I think it's worth the cost.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:32 PM   #3
n00b
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: MJ
MJonAgs32's Tacoma Gallery
Tekonsha Prodigy

Old 11-01-2011, 07:49 AM   #4
Gregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gregman's Tacoma Gallery
What are the advantages of a Tekonsha P3 over a P2 ?
Old 11-01-2011, 07:56 AM   #5
Custom User Title
Zac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: CSAR
Name: Zac
Zac808's Tacoma Gallery
Tekonsha Voyager. Good enough to stop a trailer.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:02 AM   #6
Whiskeyjack is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiskeyjack is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiskeyjack is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiskeyjack is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiskeyjack is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiskeyjack is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiskeyjack is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiskeyjack is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiskeyjack is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiskeyjack is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiskeyjack is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Steve
Whiskeyjack's Tacoma Gallery
I towed several years with a Kelsey, which wasn't great. Then I went to a Prodigy P2, which did a good job for 3 trailers. When I bought my used '06 Prerunner, it came with a Voyager. I was going to replace it with a Prodigy, as I had become comfortable with that model. I tried the Voyager, and it does just fine. So I agree with Zac808, especially if, like me, you need to save a few bucks. I have no idea what a P3 would add to the table. Both the P2 and Voyager are plug 'n play, but to me, the Voyager adjustment is a little easier. Again, I have no idea on adjustment with the P3.
Old 12-24-2011, 06:16 AM   #7
Tacomanater is on a distinguished road

Tacomanater's Tacoma Gallery
Installed a Prodigy P2- works great, highly recommended due to the overall simplicity.
Old 12-24-2011, 08:24 AM   #8
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Tekonsha Prodigy....

Used it on the Grand Cherokee & the Dodge Ram. Love being able to set the brake pressures (so to speak) according to the load and being able to reach down and apply the brakes on the fly.
Old 12-24-2011, 08:34 AM   #9
Resident Lurker
JEP is one of the sharper tools in the shedJEP is one of the sharper tools in the shedJEP is one of the sharper tools in the shedJEP is one of the sharper tools in the shedJEP is one of the sharper tools in the shedJEP is one of the sharper tools in the shedJEP is one of the sharper tools in the shedJEP is one of the sharper tools in the shedJEP is one of the sharper tools in the shedJEP is one of the sharper tools in the shedJEP is one of the sharper tools in the shed
JEP's Tacoma Gallery
Any pictures of where everyone has them mounted?
I have a Tekonsha, don't know what model it's in a box somewhere right now. It did work good when I had it in my Yukon.
Old 12-29-2011, 03:03 PM   #10
docbrown is one of the sharper tools in the sheddocbrown is one of the sharper tools in the sheddocbrown is one of the sharper tools in the sheddocbrown is one of the sharper tools in the sheddocbrown is one of the sharper tools in the sheddocbrown is one of the sharper tools in the sheddocbrown is one of the sharper tools in the sheddocbrown is one of the sharper tools in the sheddocbrown is one of the sharper tools in the sheddocbrown is one of the sharper tools in the sheddocbrown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

docbrown's Tacoma Gallery
Tekonsha Prodigy P2. My truck does not have the factory towing package, but it was not too hard to wire. Does a great job with my trailer. Real easy to dial in.
Old 01-01-2012, 12:35 PM   #11
Tacomanater is on a distinguished road

Tacomanater's Tacoma Gallery
I do not use my ashtray, so I pulled it and mounted the P2 where the ashtray would go. Great location, easy access and I don't have to worry about taking any skin off my knee climbing in.
Old 01-01-2012, 12:41 PM   #12
The Mad Scientist
jberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
jberry813's Tacoma Gallery
Tekonsha P3
Old 01-26-2012, 10:09 PM   #13
WV_Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdWV_Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdWV_Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdWV_Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdWV_Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdWV_Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdWV_Tacoma is a splendid one to behold
WV_Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I heard the P3; pendulum type requires it to be close to flat and straight in-line with the truck? There was a tolerance, just don't remember, but it was not like the angle pictured above on the taco. I guess it works for him.

i am looking to buy one today.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:04 PM   #14
Woodstocktaco is on a distinguished road
Woodstocktaco's Tacoma Gallery
I have the Prodigy P2 & like it a lot. It has a 3 axis accelerometer rather than a pendulum sensor so it can be installed perpendicular to the plane of the road and it doesn't affect function, but it should be installed parallel to the direction of travel of the vehicle. Mine's basically in the same spot as MJonAgs (post #3). The "pocket" mount allows the controller to be easily removed when not in use.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:14 PM   #15
No matter where you go there you are.
taco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Galen
taco084gb's Tacoma Gallery
Here is mine and where it is mounted. Works great for our 7x16 enclosed trailer with 4 quads in and gear. It is a REESE 835. Have one also in the Wifes Tacoma as well for her horse trailer. So far they have been great and we have had them for about a year now. Very easy to install and hook up.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:32 PM   #16
WV_Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdWV_Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdWV_Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdWV_Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdWV_Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdWV_Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdWV_Tacoma is a splendid one to behold
WV_Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I have 05 prerunner w/ out tow package. If I buy the P3 with toy spec wireharness will it work with my non tow taco?
Old 01-28-2012, 08:47 AM   #17
Woodstocktaco is on a distinguished road
Woodstocktaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WV_Tacoma View Post
I have 05 prerunner w/ out tow package. If I buy the P3 with toy spec wireharness will it work with my non tow taco?
Sure, but you'll have to wire it into the under dash harness. Once you do that you should be good to go. Tenkonsha comes with a generic wiring diagram illustration. If you're handy with electrical stuff (which I'm not) you can probably have it set up in 30 minutes or less. There are some good deals on the P2 for less than $100 now unless you're heart is set on the P3.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:05 AM   #18
kavy is on a distinguished road
Name: Shaun
kavy's Tacoma Gallery
I also use a P3 and I highly recommend it.

I had it in my FJ and will be transferring it over to my new taco in the next few weeks. I will take some pictures as to where I mount it.

As to the question on it being level I used it at almost 30 degrees angle in my FJJ and saw no adverse effects.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:59 AM   #19
docbrown is one of the sharper tools in the sheddocbrown is one of the sharper tools in the sheddocbrown is one of the sharper tools in the sheddocbrown is one of the sharper tools in the sheddocbrown is one of the sharper tools in the sheddocbrown is one of the sharper tools in the sheddocbrown is one of the sharper tools in the sheddocbrown is one of the sharper tools in the sheddocbrown is one of the sharper tools in the sheddocbrown is one of the sharper tools in the sheddocbrown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

docbrown's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodstocktaco View Post
Sure, but you'll have to wire it into the under dash harness. Once you do that you should be good to go. Tenkonsha comes with a generic wiring diagram illustration. If you're handy with electrical stuff (which I'm not) you can probably have it set up in 30 minutes or less. There are some good deals on the P2 for less than $100 now unless you're heart is set on the P3.
If you mean can you just "plug and play" with the Toyota harness on a non-tow package vehicle, the answer is no. You can pull the brake signal for the controller off of the pigtail under the dash (thin blue wire), but you will have to run wires to the battery for power to the controller (run it through a breaker or fuse) and the power for the brakes to the 7 pin connector in the back of the truck. There is a relay and some wiring that does not come with the non-tow equipped trucks that prevents it from being plug and play. Check the Towing section for information on wiring this or you can get a wiring kit with instructions at most any auto parts store. If you are not comfortable doing this, take it to an RV service center and have them run it.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:19 AM   #20
Mhenry2712 is on a distinguished road
Mhenry2712's Tacoma Gallery
Has anyone Use/installed a Directlink brake controller. Looks amazing and easyhttp://direclink.com/
http://direclink.com/