Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Do I need a weight distribution hitch

Old 10-28-2011, 06:13 AM   #1
grivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
grivera's Tacoma Gallery
Do I need a weight distribution hitch

I posted this in in other on-going threads but it's gotten lost in the shuffle.

I plan to tow a Jeep Wrangler, weighing about 3200 lbs, a distance of 125 miles. I have a choice of a car dolly or a auto transport. What concerns me with the transport, which weighs 2200 lbs, is my lack of a weight distribution hitch? Will I be OK for one time use or should I use the dolly? I intend to remove the drive shaft if I rent the dolly.

My truck is a DC V-6 automatic with the factory tow package.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:17 AM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by grivera View Post
I posted this in in other on-going threads but it's gotten lost in the shuffle.

I plan to tow a Jeep Wrangler, weighing about 3200 lbs, a distance of 125 miles. I have a choice of a car dolly or a auto transport. What concerns me with the transport, which weighs 2200 lbs, is my lack of a weight distribution hitch? Will I be OK for one time use or should I use the dolly? I intend to remove the drive shaft if I rent the dolly.

My truck is a DC V-6 automatic with the factory tow package.
If you're ok with removing the drive shaft, I'd just use the tow dolly. It's a lot lighter and will be easier on your Tacoma. Otherwise, I'm assuming you're renting the auto transport flatbed in which case you wouldn't be able to just throw on a weight distribution set-up. You'd most likely be fine without a w/d set-up using the Uhaul, just be mindful of where the jeep is placed on the flatbed and you may have to stop and make some adjustments to find that sweet spot.