Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

U-Haul tow dolly

Old 11-03-2011, 11:43 AM   #1
Rellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant future
Law Enforcement: Police Officer (retired NYPD)
Name: Craig
Rellik01's Tacoma Gallery
U-Haul tow dolly

Will be towing a 1999 Camry on a U-Haul dolly (front wheel drive) with my 2011 TRD Sport 2wd (Heavy duty tow package). Any advice for towing a car like this as I've never done it before.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:54 AM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Take your time and be mindful where you pull into so you don't have to try and back out.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:59 AM   #3
MAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MAXTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
x2.... you cannot back up and keep your truck in 4th.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:02 PM   #4
Goldstar225 is on a distinguished road
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tom
Goldstar225's Tacoma Gallery
Allow extra distance for braking and increase your following distance to other traffic. You'll have 3000 pounds pushing you when you try to stop.
Old 11-03-2011, 01:04 PM   #5
--- --- --- - ----
LEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

LEX's Tacoma Gallery
Why can't you put a car dolly in reverse?
Old 11-03-2011, 01:09 PM   #6
Ckytard is on a distinguished road
Law Enforcement:
Name: Brian
Ckytard's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEX View Post
Why can't you put a car dolly in reverse?
you can drive it in reverse, but unless you have towed many times it is not a situation you want to find out about.
Old 11-03-2011, 01:13 PM   #7
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckytard View Post
you can drive it in reverse, but unless you have towed many times it is not a situation you want to find out about.
^^ This, unless you have have previous experience backing up hay wagons. Anyone who's tried this knows how much of a bitch this is to do!
Old 11-03-2011, 01:19 PM   #8
Rupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Rupp1's Tacoma Gallery
I towed a 73 firebird on a U-Haul dolly about 250 miles. Just mind the braking as stated earlier. On the highway it was hard to tell the car was behind me. Mine is a 4x4, and I kept it in 4th most of the time.

Best advice...................Do everything smooth.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:10 AM   #10
--- --- --- - ----
LEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

LEX's Tacoma Gallery
While we're on the topic. Do you guys think it'll be ok to tow say a 2wd 1969 Chevy truck using a dolly w/o removing the drive shaft? It's only going to be about a 40-50 mile trip.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:12 AM   #11
Motorboatin' SOB
Fink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Former FF/EMT
Name: Chris
Fink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEX View Post
While we're on the topic. Do you guys think it'll be ok to tow say a 2wd 1969 Chevy truck using a dolly w/o removing the drive shaft? It's only going to be about a 40-50 mile trip.
I don't see any problem with this given that it is 2WD.

Fink
Old 11-04-2011, 08:17 AM   #12

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Check the weight of that thing against what the tow dolly is rated for. Those old metal bodied pickups can be pretty bulky.

This is from Uhaul's website:
Towed vehicle requirements
  • Front-wheel or all-wheel drive vehicles must not weigh in excess of 3,450 lbs.
  • Rear-wheel or four-wheel drive vehicles must not weigh in excess of 3,900 lbs and you must disconnect your driveshaft.
  • Must have a maximum outside-to-outside tire width of 72"
  • Must not exceed a body width (at the doors) of 75" Note: body widths over 72" must use late-model U-Haul Tow Dolly (identifiable by silver galvanized color)
  • Low-hanging equipment on the vehicle being towed such as spoilers, air dams, ground effects, etc., may be damaged by contact with the tow dolly during loading and unloading. Make sure there is enough clearance for these items.
  • Tow lights (tail/stop/turn) required at rear of vehicle being towed
Old 11-04-2011, 08:19 AM   #13
Motorboatin' SOB
Fink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Fink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Check the weight of that thing against what the tow dolly is rated for. Those old metal bodied pickups can be pretty bulky.

This is from Uhaul's website:
Towed vehicle requirements
  • Front-wheel or all-wheel drive vehicles must not weigh in excess of 3,450 lbs.
  • Rear-wheel or four-wheel drive vehicles must not weigh in excess of 3,900 lbs and you must disconnect your driveshaft.
  • Must have a maximum outside-to-outside tire width of 72"
  • Must not exceed a body width (at the doors) of 75" Note: body widths over 72" must use late-model U-Haul Tow Dolly (identifiable by silver galvanized color)
  • Low-hanging equipment on the vehicle being towed such as spoilers, air dams, ground effects, etc., may be damaged by contact with the tow dolly during loading and unloading. Make sure there is enough clearance for these items.
  • Tow lights (tail/stop/turn) required at rear of vehicle being towed
I stand corrected.

I still wonder what the mechanical reason for this would be? I have to assume this is just to cover their asses, but I could obviously be wrong.

I towed my 1985 4Runner on a U-Haul car trailer (not the dolly) - couldn't have been easier and the cost is not that much more. It will add quite a bit of weight though.

Fink
Old 11-04-2011, 08:32 AM   #14

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fink View Post
I stand corrected.

I still wonder what the mechanical reason for this would be? I have to assume this is just to cover their asses, but I could obviously be wrong.

I towed my 1985 4Runner on a U-Haul car trailer (not the dolly) - couldn't have been easier and the cost is not that much more. It will add quite a bit of weight though.

Fink
I would guess it's to cover their asses. That drive line spinning in the transmission I suppose could cause some sort of mechanical mishap if circumstances are just right (or if there was a pre-existing condition in the vehicle being towed). In all likelihood it'd be fine, hell if you get towed they don't pull the driveshaft, they just put you on the hook and off you go but according to Uhaul's recommendations it's not the correct way to go.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:35 AM   #15
Motorboatin' SOB

Fink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
I would guess it's to cover their asses. That drive line spinning in the transmission I suppose could cause some sort of mechanical mishap if circumstances are just right (or if there was a pre-existing condition in the vehicle being towed). In all likelihood it'd be fine, hell if you get towed they don't pull the driveshaft, they just put you on the hook and off you go but according to Uhaul's recommendations it's not the correct way to go.
Agreed - cheap insurance.

Fink
Old 11-04-2011, 10:32 AM   #16
--- --- --- - ----

LEX's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks, I'll have to think about what I'm going to do.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:41 AM   #19
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldstar225 View Post
Allow extra distance for braking and increase your following distance to other traffic. You'll have 3000 pounds pushing you when you try to stop.
X2..

the tow dolly does not have any trailer brakes to help slow your ass down..so, make sure you have plenty of space. your truck wont slow down fast enough in a panic braking situation..i know this because i tow my crawler a lot with my taco. braking sucks even with the trailer brakes i have on my trailer.