Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

towing and supercharger.

Old 11-11-2008, 03:34 AM   #1
EdgeR6 is on a distinguished road
EdgeR6's Tacoma Gallery
towing and supercharger.

What are you thoughts. I'd like to supercharge my truck with the TRD supercharger. would the supercharger be good or bad for towing a toyhauler?
Old 11-11-2008, 08:13 AM   #2
MyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
MyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Don't see any downside to it. More Torque & HP would be great for towing.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:18 AM   #3
I miss Lucy. :-(
HerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Computer Tech
Name: John
HerNameIsLucy's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to HerNameIsLucy Send a message via Yahoo to HerNameIsLucy
Might want to consider a tranny cooler (assuming it's an auto) and maybe even an oil cooler.
Old 11-11-2008, 01:06 PM   #4
EdgeR6's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerNameIsLucy View Post
Might want to consider a tranny cooler (assuming it's an auto) and maybe even an oil cooler.

Factory tow package, and I'm a 6 speed.
Old 11-11-2008, 03:22 PM   #5
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Get a Pyrometer and keep an eye on your exhaust temps. Factory is only good for short periods of 800 to 900* temps.
Old 11-11-2008, 04:48 PM   #6
EdgeR6's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Get a Pyrometer and keep an eye on your exhaust temps. Factory is only good for short periods of 800 to 900* temps.

Please explain?
Old 11-11-2008, 04:53 PM   #7
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdgeR6 View Post
Please explain?
Under a load, with a supercharger, or a turbo charger, your exhaust gasses can run a bit hotter than normal. You can run into problems if your EGT's (Exhaust Gas Temps) get to high. High EGT's are more prevalent in Diesels, but I ran my EGT's to high on my Dodge Dakota and cracked one of my headers. Mind you, it was an 6% grade that was about 4 miles long, and I was hauling about 1000# of crap. But, its something to keep in the back of your mind.
Old 11-11-2008, 05:30 PM   #8
wushaw has a spectacular aura aboutwushaw has a spectacular aura about
wushaw's Tacoma Gallery
I know with the turbo you can damage the turbo with excessive EGTs. I had not heard you need to worry about your standard exhaust also.

If it is a Toyota supercharger then wouldn't Toyota have the EGTs in mind?
Old 11-11-2008, 06:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wushaw View Post
I know with the turbo you can damage the turbo with excessive EGTs. I had not heard you need to worry about your standard exhaust also.

If it is a Toyota supercharger then wouldn't Toyota have the EGTs in mind?
You could be right. Also, My issue was with my POS Dodge, so the Toyotas may be ok.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:13 PM   #10
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
i dont see why the TRD supercharger would have any negative effects.... more power/torque and at around 3000+ RPMs where the downshift going up a grade would put you it seems like it could only help. curious.... how big of a toyhauler and what 'toys' do you put in it?
Old 11-13-2008, 04:04 AM   #11
EdgeR6's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreme450 View Post
i dont see why the TRD supercharger would have any negative effects.... more power/torque and at around 3000+ RPMs where the downshift going up a grade would put you it seems like it could only help. curious.... how big of a toyhauler and what 'toys' do you put in it?

I don't have the toy hauler yet. But teh one I wan to get is a KZ MXT 20
I guess its about a 25 foot trailer, weighs about 4300 dry. and has a 7k Carrying capacity. Of couse I will not be able to load it fully but.
Two bikes and gear. 07 Yamaha FZ1 (street) 05 Yamaha FZ6 (track) and associated gear and tools. two pedal bikes. one is an 07 Trek 7000 MTB. The other is the pepsi fila bike that pepsi rewards thing. thats the G/F's she is looking to upgade in the future there may be some dirt bikes to.
Old 11-13-2008, 05:12 AM   #12
tossed salad anyone?
jasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nice

jasonh's Tacoma Gallery
thats a beast of trailer. probably to big
Old 11-13-2008, 01:45 PM   #13
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonh View Post
thats a beast of trailer. probably to big
+1. we have a 24' Carson Fun runner super-light toy hauler for taking our quads to the dunes. Its rated for 7000lbs and we use my moms '03 Silverado 1500 to tow it and its even a bit big for the 1/2 ton rated at 7800 towing. If you expect to tow a trailer that big you're better off with a Tundra or a 3/4 ton pickup. If the Taco is the only option, dont get bigger than a 21 footer i'd say. Its not just the weight of the trailer thats the issue, its the frontal area bucking head wind at highway speeds, and the weight of the truck. you'd get blown around alot if it got windy.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:42 PM   #14
canadiankid is on a distinguished road
canadiankid's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreme450 View Post
+1. If the Taco is the only option, dont get bigger than a 21 footer i'd say. Its not just the weight of the trailer thats the issue, its the frontal area bucking head wind at highway speeds, and the weight of the truck. you'd get blown around alot if it got windy.
If you have a DC LB like mine then you are "OK" to pull up to about 27.5'. If you want to check the "max" length for your trucks wheelbase then look here
www.rvtowingtips.com/how-long.htm As far as the weight goes I would be careful not to go over the GCVW for your truck.

Good luck and I hope it all works out.
Old 11-13-2008, 11:24 PM   #15
sonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nice

sonjay's Tacoma Gallery
Get a temp gauge on the tranny, bigger cooler too. I've seen alot of crazy things on the hi-ways, the truck will be fine... its up to you to keep it on the road!
Old 11-13-2008, 11:45 PM   #16
Taco Traitor!
TRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to behold

TRD4x4858's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to TRD4x4858
^^^ second that, Dont let that tranny get too hot
Old 11-14-2008, 12:01 AM   #17
MyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
MyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD4x4858 View Post
^^^ second that, Dont let that tranny get too hot
Guys, it's a 6 speed......
Old 11-14-2008, 12:03 AM   #18
Taco Traitor!
TRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to behold

TRD4x4858's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to TRD4x4858
Oh haha nevermind then. oops haha
Old 11-14-2008, 09:04 AM   #19
sonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nice

sonjay's Tacoma Gallery
haha sorry... little bit stoned last night.