Notices

towing package

Old 11-17-2008, 12:30 AM   #1
mkerros has a spectacular aura aboutmkerros has a spectacular aura about
Navy: aviation electricians mate 2nd class
Name: Mike
mkerros's Tacoma Gallery
towing package

How do u know if your truck has a towing package i bought it used and wasnt really worried about it so i never asked them. the only reasone im wondering is because it has a hitch on the frame and the jack for the tralier lights.
Old 11-17-2008, 12:33 AM   #2
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
genxer36's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW!

The dealer can check via the vin numbers & tell you what you have.

Mine has a hitch & the wiring harness I installed. But I do not have the towing package.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:55 PM   #3
Towing Guru
maverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

maverick491's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkerros View Post
How do u know if your truck has a towing package i bought it used and wasnt really worried about it so i never asked them. the only reasone im wondering is because it has a hitch on the frame and the jack for the tralier lights.
If it is the Factory Hitch the steel directly surrounding the hitch pin hole will be thicker than the rest of the receiver. The hitch will also be tied into the bumper by two bolts on either side of the ball mount hole.

Since you have an automatic you will also have a trans cooler (Which will look like a smaller radiator mounted in front of the standard radiator of the truck).

Lastly you can check the voltage of the top left pin, (the one in the roughly 10:30 position) on your plug. You should get 12-14 volts with the truck running.
Old 11-17-2008, 07:16 PM   #4
Land of Oz
rhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rhoppas's Tacoma Gallery
I believe you also get a larger alternator with the tow package. I have the tow package and unfortunately my fan blade clutch is pink. However, I am not sure if this is a valid way to tell.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:19 AM   #5
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick491 View Post
If it is the Factory Hitch the steel directly surrounding the hitch pin hole will be thicker than the rest of the receiver. The hitch will also be tied into the bumper by two bolts on either side of the ball mount hole.

Since you have an automatic you will also have a trans cooler (Which will look like a smaller radiator mounted in front of the standard radiator of the truck).

Lastly you can check the voltage of the top left pin, (the one in the roughly 10:30 position) on your plug. You should get 12-14 volts with the truck running.
Just curious.
How would the top left pin mean you have the towing package? Wouldn't that be the same either way?
Old 11-18-2008, 05:34 AM   #6
Towing Guru
maverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by genxer36 View Post
Just curious.
How would the top left pin mean you have the towing package? Wouldn't that be the same either way?
The top left pin is the rv battery charging circuit. More often than not people who have added a hitch and a 7 round plug do not connect that pin as it really is a major pain in the ass to do aftermarket. While it can be done, it's just pretty involved, so it is a good final thing to check assuming that you have all of the other things I mentioned as well, as the other things can be added aftermarket easier.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:43 AM   #7
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
I have the factory towing package and my fan clutch is pink also.

The factory tow packege on the Automatic trucks also got the transmission cooler (extra radiator looking device in the grill) and supplemental oil cooler (haven't really looked for this thing).
Old 11-20-2008, 01:09 AM   #8
Lord of Tomfoolery

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick491 View Post
The top left pin is the rv battery charging circuit. More often than not people who have added a hitch and a 7 round plug do not connect that pin as it really is a major pain in the ass to do aftermarket. While it can be done, it's just pretty involved, so it is a good final thing to check assuming that you have all of the other things I mentioned as well, as the other things can be added aftermarket easier.
But if they have the flat connector. that won't tell them anything. I have the flat 4-pin. I got the wiring harness from Toyota. Took me 5 minutes to install.Plug & play sorta speak
Old 11-20-2008, 05:59 AM   #9
Towing Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by genxer36 View Post
But if they have the flat connector. that won't tell them anything. I have the flat 4-pin. I got the wiring harness from Toyota. Took me 5 minutes to install.Plug & play sorta speak
If they have the flat connector then they do not have the factory towing package. My answers are all based on the original quiestion which was how to tell if a truck purchased used had the factory tow package.
Old 11-26-2008, 05:50 PM   #10
2xtreme is on a distinguished road

Air Force: Engineer
2xtreme's Tacoma Gallery
GM uses 2 or 3 digit codes listed in the glove box that correlates to all the installed options. Does anyone know if Toyota uses a code system like this?

I had an issue a few years back where I was wrongly informed by the dealer after a Vin search. Later I discovered the codes in the glove box which were correct. Nearest I could figure, the sticker and options are done at the same time on the assembly line. Who knows, maybe the Vin said I was to get one package but they ran out of those parts, so the truck got an unplanned upgrade.