1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Towing a car

Discussion in 'Towing' started by ETAV8R, Nov 18, 2008.

1. Nov 18, 2008 at 3:29 PM
    ETAV8R

ETAV8R [OP] Out DERP'n

Member:
    Republik of Commiefornia
    Vehicle:
    MGM 09 AC 4WD V6 TRD-OR w/ Tradesman Shell
    Just the basics
    This Friday I am going to vegas to tow my gfs car from there to socal. Uhaul has the trailer for the front wheels of her maxima and the back wheels will be on the pavement. Anyone have hints/tips for something like this? I've never towed anything before. I do have the factory tow package.
    Thanks.

p.s. Are there any good shops in socal, la/orange counties which provide tow setup advice and products?

2. Nov 18, 2008 at 4:55 PM
    JJ Customs

JJ Customs Supreme Leader!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    NV
    Vehicle:
    Silverado Crew Cab Z71, 5.3 made from real Tornado's!
    A few additions to make me feel cool.
    Is the car broken down? If not just take a Southwest flight and drive it back. If you have to tow it, make sure you have a receiver with wither a 1 7/8 or 2" ball. a 7 pin connector and other than that you will be fine. Take your time and you won't have any problems. Plus you are a Marine. All we do is break SH$T.....

3. Nov 18, 2008 at 4:57 PM
    maverick491

maverick491 Towing Guru

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Access Cab, TRD off road, 6 cyl, 6 spd
    Activator III brake controller, Extang Fulltilt toneau, Factory bed mat, Extra D-rings in the bed, 2ndary air filter removed, Garmin Ique GPS, Eco-2, AFE Pro Dry-s filter, USASPEC PA12-toy, Pioneer 3-way speakers, SG II on Blendmount, Gulf States Alarm added.
    The maxima is front-wheel drive, so it doesn't matter if the tranny is an auto or a stick, and there will be no need to disconnect anything.

Most U-haul trailers have surge brakes on them. (I say most because I am not sure if the car dolly does or not, having never used one personally)

Phantom is right. If the Maxima is able to move under it's own power, drive both it and your truck and dolly to a big open parking lot, and get used to how it handles and stops before heading out onto the roads where you may encounter other motorists.

Make sure you ratchet strap the front wheels to the dolly really well and check the straps a few times once you are on the road particularly after the first 20 miles or so since that is when the most of the stretching will take place.

Leave the car in neutral once it is strapped down so that you are not putting the strain on the transmission once it is rocking back and forth after you are underway. (This is another reason to make sure that the straps are secure and done correctly)

Even if the dolly has surge brakes, you are going to have noticably increased stopping distance, so be aware of that, as well as being aware that you have another 20 feet or so behind your tailgate when you are turning or changing lanes.

Last piece of advice be extra aware of other drivers as they do not know or care that it will take you longer to stop and they will likely do plenty of stupid shit in front of and around you on this trip.

Enjoy the trip and keep the rubber side down. :)

4. Nov 18, 2008 at 5:01 PM
    cheehab

cheehab I bleed Black and Gold

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Winter Park, CO
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra TRD Pro CrewMax
    I towed an Altima from Colorado to Maine once, and it was pretty easy. Acceleration and braking were the only times I even noticed the car back there. Since it was all highway it was pretty easy. The main thing is to make sure your tire pressure is right where you want it, and give yourself plenty of time to stop. We did about 75 mph for 36 hours straight and the Tacoma had absolutely no lingering effects from it. The UHAul dolly I uses required a 2" ball. Good Luck!

5. Nov 18, 2008 at 5:02 PM
    JJ Customs

JJ Customs Supreme Leader!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    NV
    Vehicle:
    Silverado Crew Cab Z71, 5.3 made from real Tornado's!
    A few additions to make me feel cool.
    Listen to Maverick! Anyone who has a pic of a trailer 3 times the size of his truck on here gives sound advise. Also do a thread search for the "towing bible" on here. A lot of good info.

6. Nov 18, 2008 at 5:06 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    +1 on Mavericks post...Just take your time and you will be fine. Towing changes the way the truck will operate..but you'll get a good feel for it pretty quick.
    (First thing I ever towed was my own Dakota on a trailer with a Ram 1500 I had never driven)

Take it slow and watch out for others- You'll be fine.

7. Nov 18, 2008 at 5:22 PM
    AUDITECH

AUDITECH Carolina Alliance: LAZY DIVISION

Member:
    charlotte nc
    Vehicle:
    07 double cab prerunner
    none
    Make sure the rear tires are at spec psi or the car will sway.

8. Nov 19, 2008 at 6:13 AM
    ETAV8R

ETAV8R [OP] Out DERP'n

Member:
    Republik of Commiefornia
    Vehicle:
    MGM 09 AC 4WD V6 TRD-OR w/ Tradesman Shell
    Just the basics
    Thanks for the replies. I have perused the bible. Lots of info there but just couldn't find what I needed suited to my situation. If I could drive the car to socal I would.

Jay, Semper Fi! The Stumps...ugh, been there done that. It is nice this time of year though. MCCES way back in 94.

Products Discussed in

To Top