1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How bigga boat can I tow?

Discussion in 'Towing' started by saupere, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Dec 13, 2011 at 7:49 AM
    saupere

saupere [OP] New Member

Member:
    Greensburg, PA
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma 4 Cyl 2.7 L
    Transmission cooler from U-haul
    I inherited this basic 2008 Toyota Tacoma single cab 4 Cyl 2.7 Litre Automatic when my dad passed away. It has less than 20,000 miles on it. He had gotten a Transmission Cooler installed by UHaul with the intention of hauling a boat. Now, buying that boat is my decision. I read that the factory towing capacity is 3600 lbs and that I could probably expect a little more with the Transmission Cooler. How much more I don't know. Have pondered other types of coolers that either cool your engine oil or your radiator coolant. Anyway I have my eye on a Starcraft Islander 221 BRKT fishing boat. It's quite long 24.5 feet but according to my calculations ought to weigh in at about 3777 lbs trailered. That includes a 150 Merc OB Engine and a full 52 gal tank of gas and as far as I can surmise a 4 wheel dual axel trailer. It is an all aluminum boat. If it was fiberglass and that long we'd be talking 5000-6000 lbs towing weight. It be driving it from Pittsburgh to Lake Ontario probably once or twice a year and I am figuring it's about 400 miles each way. The highways are fairly level, I'm talking I-79 and I-90 most of the way. Was wondering if anyone here has a 2.7 L 4 Cyl automatic and if you could give me any encouraging success stories as far as towing.

2. Dec 13, 2011 at 11:39 AM
    dexdawg

dexdawg Well-Known Member

Member:
    Frederick, MD
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC SB OFF-ROAD
    Don't want to sound like a dick but read the Towing Bible sticky. There is a lot of good information in there.

I tow a 2002 Monterey 180 edge. 18 1/2 feet and about 2,000 lbs. I have a double cab with 4 WD and 6500 tow capacity. Good luck.

Products Discussed in

To Top