Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

4.0 V5 MANUAL taco owners, Need towing info.

Old 12-14-2011, 02:17 PM   #1
WheelinJ91 will become famous soon enough
Name: John
WheelinJ91's Tacoma Gallery
4.0 V5 MANUAL taco owners, Need towing info.

Hi Everyone,

So i have a 2012 TRD DCSB 4.0 V6 Manual w/ Tow package

My question is, How much can you pull (i know the factory rateing), and was this on flat or in mountains (up and down hill), conditions, and your set up like trailer break, lift, tire size.

i plan on getting an enclosed 8'x12' to haul the bike around and be able to use it for hauling other stuff aswell, i have herd that with a taco it would be best to go with a V nose and i think due to that i will be pulling somthing (big) i may just get a trailer break

Ideas and oppinions, thanks
Old 12-14-2011, 03:31 PM   #2
Gregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gregman's Tacoma Gallery
You should have a trailer brake to be safe.
You might also want to beef up your rear suspension. There are several ways to do this, I added Firestone Ride-Rite air bags to the rear axle and an air compressor under the hood with a controller and air gauge under the dash. This is a slick system as I can adjust the air pressure in the springs at any time stopped or driving down the road. Depending on how much stuff you have in that trailer, the rear end of your truck will sag and your headlights will blind oncoming traffic if you don't do something to level out your truck. Of course your truck will handle better and be safer this way too. You can also add heavier springs or spring boosters but they could give you a stiff ride when you are not loaded or towing.
You should also consider towing mirrors too.
Lots of good info in the towing bible stickey thread.
I would suggest trying to keep your loaded trailer weight under 4000 lbs to be able to climb hills, keep highway speed up without getting completely horrible fuel mileage (its going to suck hauling a trailer anyway), and to be able to stop safely. My Taco is rated to haul 6500 lbs but thats a lot for it to handle for anything but short little hauls.

Oh, and your title is funny, a V5?
Old 12-14-2011, 05:18 PM   #3
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
And 8'x12' enclosed!? Dam that is a big ass trailer for a taco!
Old 12-14-2011, 05:56 PM   #4
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.B. View Post
My camper is 8X18 no problems with that just don't fill the cargo trailer with bricks.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:06 PM   #5
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
What the hell is a V5?
Old 12-15-2011, 10:40 AM   #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregman View Post
You should have a trailer brake to be safe.
You might also want to beef up your rear suspension. There are several ways to do this, I added Firestone Ride-Rite air bags to the rear axle and an air compressor under the hood with a controller and air gauge under the dash. This is a slick system as I can adjust the air pressure in the springs at any time stopped or driving down the road. Depending on how much stuff you have in that trailer, the rear end of your truck will sag and your headlights will blind oncoming traffic if you don't do something to level out your truck. Of course your truck will handle better and be safer this way too. You can also add heavier springs or spring boosters but they could give you a stiff ride when you are not loaded or towing.
You should also consider towing mirrors too.
Lots of good info in the towing bible stickey thread.
I would suggest trying to keep your loaded trailer weight under 4000 lbs to be able to climb hills, keep highway speed up without getting completely horrible fuel mileage (its going to suck hauling a trailer anyway), and to be able to stop safely. My Taco is rated to haul 6500 lbs but thats a lot for it to handle for anything but short little hauls.

Oh, and your title is funny, a V5?
Yeah i was thinking of Airbags, i gotta look into them when the time comes =.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.B. View Post
not really i have a 8x12 flat tilt) deck right now and it is a little wide but i had no problems with my old explorer when it was loaded and that suv cant pull worth shit other then its auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
What the hell is a V5?
It's when the and i quote "4.0" has one cylinder blows....-.- but yeah i didn't even know i did that until you guys pointed it out, and i don't think i can fix it
Old 12-15-2011, 11:20 AM   #7
Dark Lord of the Sith
wrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Tech Insp: 404 ASB/4th CAB
Name: Ryan Mathis
wrmathis's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to wrmathis Send a message via Yahoo to wrmathis
i hauled a 8x12 uhaul trailer from ga to va and didnt have any issue. it was full with furniture and all my other crap from when i moved
Old 12-15-2011, 12:51 PM   #8
Earthlings are fun to watch!
Goober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Goober's Tacoma Gallery
Altitude affects cooling capacity and my Ridgeline manual stated to reduce the tow capacity by 3% for every 1000ft. of altidude, unless you were towing a boat. (it really said that) I could only assume because a boat would have less wind resistance. Read the manual which has guidelines for brakes and hitch usage. Toyota supposedly meets the 2012 SAE tow ratings, read those for details on towing conditions under which the guidelines are met. http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/towing/139258-new-tow-ratings-2013-s-e-j2807.html
Old 12-15-2011, 08:07 PM   #9
How about with lifts on them ? will the reduce the towing cap?
Old 12-27-2011, 08:30 AM   #11
XMF - Extreme Mexican Food fo Life!
fajitas21 has much to be proud offajitas21 has much to be proud offajitas21 has much to be proud offajitas21 has much to be proud offajitas21 has much to be proud offajitas21 has much to be proud offajitas21 has much to be proud offajitas21 has much to be proud offajitas21 has much to be proud offajitas21 has much to be proud of

Name: Lee
fajitas21's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
How about with lifts on them ? will the reduce the towing cap?
A lift will increase wind resistance and raiser center of gravity. Might affect power some and stability alot.

That said, I've towed a 6x12 V6 Tacoma like a champ. The extra width on the 8x12 is gonna make for more wind resistance, and as long as you don't have the trailer loaded to the brim it should be ok.

Keep an eye on the tongue weight, but you should be ok. Make sure your trailer brakes are good and working properly.
Old 12-28-2011, 02:44 PM   #12
So when going for a lift basically keep in mind everything else i will be doing with the truck before making a decision, i think for now im going to be carting the bikes around in the box of the truck so just a lift big enough to fit 33s on it which should allow me to still use a ramp
Old 12-28-2011, 02:53 PM   #13
Resident T100 guy
97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Melt
97T's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 97T
3.4 owner chiming in .... biggest ive towed is a 94 acura integra on a dolly with the bed of the truck filled with shit .... the bumper says the trucks rated to 5000 lbs but not sure if i believe that
Old 12-28-2011, 03:12 PM   #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97T View Post
3.4 owner chiming in .... biggest ive towed is a 94 acura integra on a dolly with the bed of the truck filled with shit .... the bumper says the trucks rated to 5000 lbs but not sure if i believe that
How did that go for you? like safety, did you feel safe about it? was it a good or bad experience?
Old 12-28-2011, 03:21 PM   #15
Resident T100 guy
97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Melt
97T's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 97T
towed it from napa cal to portland oregon, no complaints and ca and or have a 55 mph speed limit while towing .... i was also suprised as hell that i got 17 mpg doing it (truck gets anywhere between 20 and 22 unloaded)
Old 12-28-2011, 05:10 PM   #16
Thats good for towing on a small engine.
Old 12-28-2011, 05:13 PM   #17
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
Only thing I've ever towed is my boat which is a little over 2000lbs boat/motor/trailer. But hey it handles that without breaking a sweat. If I had to tow anything close to the rating I'd probably just get a full size truck.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:49 AM   #18
aCab is on a distinguished road
aCab's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BARTRD View Post
my friend uses 4.0 V6 to pull her EVO on a car hauler trailer with no problem
would love more info on this
Old 11-09-2012, 06:58 AM   #19
BARTRD has much to be proud ofBARTRD has much to be proud ofBARTRD has much to be proud ofBARTRD has much to be proud ofBARTRD has much to be proud ofBARTRD has much to be proud ofBARTRD has much to be proud ofBARTRD has much to be proud ofBARTRD has much to be proud of

Name: Brian
BARTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by aCab View Post
would love more info on this
Her truck is a TRD sport. 2 wd. Double cab. She has an EVO for a track car and a big ass trailer to haul it on. Gas mileage sucks I'm sure, but she still pulls it