Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Pulling a 5000 lb (dry) weight, 500 lb tongue weight trailer

Old 12-23-2011, 09:54 AM   #1
IslandGuy is on a distinguished road
IslandGuy's Tacoma Gallery
Pulling a 5000 lb (dry) weight, 500 lb tongue weight trailer

Hi
I know there are a lot of threads here on towing but I have not spotted one that really addresses my basic question. I have a 2010 (6 spd manual) double cab 4x4 with the factory towing package and a fibreglass canopy. I am looking at buying an ultralight trailer, 28' 5000lb dry weight, 500 lb tongue weight bullet trailer. We have never towed before. In theory it seems the unit fits into the towing limits but on a practical basis is this a crazy combination? I want a safe, package but mileage and speed are not my real concerns.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:00 AM   #2
fishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
fishntaco's Tacoma Gallery
At 5000lbs dry, once its loaded with gear and other stuff you may be pushing max towing capacity. Don't know how much your cap weighs but you will definitely be close to GCVWR once loaded with people and other necessities. Me personally, I would look for something a little smaller.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:07 AM   #3
YNPFEO is on a distinguished road
YNPFEO's Tacoma Gallery
Agree with above......even at 3,800 dry weight my truck does not like it. On the flats its fine, but any hills foget it. If you want a trailer that big consider a full size truck.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:07 PM   #5
sechsgang will become famous soon enough
sechsgang's Tacoma Gallery
This trailer is too much for the Tacoma. You will most likely be over your payload rating. Our trailer is about 3,700 lbs dry weight, with a 440 lbs dry tongue. Loaded for camping and with two adults / two kids in the cab, we were 400 lbs over the GVWR (not GCWR). Don't do it, I guarantee you'll upgrade the truck quickly, especially since you mentioned "safe". Just the area that cross winds will catch will make for some serious white knuckle moments. The Taco has neither the weight, nor the wheel base to keep a trailer like that from swaying, even with sway control.

Listen to us, don't do it. I know, I have a fullsize truck on order because I did not listen, and our trailer is a 19 ft, 3,700 lbs (empty) trailer, it was 4,300 lbs loaded.

One more thing: backing that trailer up a hill into a camping spot while turning 90 degrees will eat your clutch in no time. The problem is our high reverse gearing. I have driven manuals only all my life, but backing the trailer up a hill without burning the clutch was nearly impossible with the Taco. Your trailer would be 1,500 lbs more, at least.

Somebody suggested the Tundra. I wish that would have been a choice, but even with the Tundra, I'd be over the payload with our 19' trailer. A crew cab 4x4 Tundra has pretty much the same low payload as my 4x4 DC Tacoma. Weird, I know .... and a shame. I really wanted the Tundra.
Old 12-24-2011, 07:02 AM   #6
Oceanfisherman
campthewestcoast is on a distinguished road
campthewestcoast's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandGuy View Post
Hi
I know there are a lot of threads here on towing but I have not spotted one that really addresses my basic question. I have a 2010 (6 spd manual) double cab 4x4 with the factory towing package and a fibreglass canopy. I am looking at buying an ultralight trailer, 28' 5000lb dry weight, 500 lb tongue weight bullet trailer. We have never towed before. In theory it seems the unit fits into the towing limits but on a practical basis is this a crazy combination? I want a safe, package but mileage and speed are not my real concerns.
The trailer is a little big for the taco, you be at the maxium range. Even with the tow rating at 6500lbs it's going to be to big for the truck. You want to be no larger than 80% of the maxium tow rating. You have to take into account the cross winds and hills you wil incounter when towing even with the hitch and sway control.
I'm towing with a 06 DC with factory tow package, brake controller, WDH with no sway control (because the type of expanable trailer).The trailer is a Hi-Lo towlite brand (the expanable trailer is no taller than the truck when it's in the towing mode) 22 foot towlite dual axle. At 4,000lbs fully loaded with propane and gear (I don't tow with fresh water,I wait to get to the campground for that). I have no problem with any hills I may come to. I tow with the overdrive off and in 4.
Also, towing mirrors are needed. I wasn't impressed with the options for the taco. I installed Powervision brand mirrors from a 98 chevy (since they don't make them for toyota). I posted the job under "show us your towing mirrors" with the wiring diagrams.
Old 12-24-2011, 11:10 AM   #7
sechsgang will become famous soon enough
sechsgang's Tacoma Gallery
Even if you only tow at 80% of the 6,500# tow rating, many people will be over the GVWR with a DC 4x4, especially if there is more than one person in the cab, and any camping gear / firewood, bikes, etc ...
If you manage to load everything in the trailer, then maybe ... but still close.