Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Trailer Plug Relocation

Old 12-28-2011, 04:43 PM   #1
B_brand has a spectacular aura aboutB_brand has a spectacular aura aboutB_brand has a spectacular aura about

Name: Brandon
B_brand's Tacoma Gallery
Trailer Plug Relocation

I broke off my factory trailer light plug and had to buy a new one. The dealership said that they would have to order the whole wiring harness and it would be over $200. So I told them I would fix it myself. I searched on here and found several write-ups on how to fix and relocate the plug. I ended up locating the new plug in the bumper next to the license tag. I have included a few pictures to help anyone else out.

The functions for the wires in the factory harness are:
White - Ground
Red - Left Turn (will also come on with brakes)
Brown - Right Turn (will also come on with brakes)
Black - 12v (this is the constant hot wire it will only be on when the ignition is on)
Blue - Electric Brake
Yellow - Reverse Lights
Green - Tail Lights
Attached Thumbnails
Trailer Plug Relocation-img_0054.jpg   Trailer Plug Relocation-img_0056.jpg   Trailer Plug Relocation-img_0059.jpg   Trailer Plug Relocation-img_0060.jpg   Trailer Plug Relocation-img_0061.jpg  

Old 12-28-2011, 04:56 PM   #4
B_brand has a spectacular aura aboutB_brand has a spectacular aura aboutB_brand has a spectacular aura about

Name: Brandon
B_brand's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry, I forgot those details. I had to buy an aftermarket plug at OReillys since my old one was broken. I used a 1/8" drill bit to mark the center of the hole, then used a 2" hole saw with a 1/4" arbor bit in it.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:16 AM   #5
YotaComa22 is on a distinguished road

Name: Ben
YotaComa22's Tacoma Gallery
good thinking on that one.....nice relocation....I like it....
Old 09-17-2014, 12:06 PM   #6
aww1970 is a splendid one to beholdaww1970 is a splendid one to beholdaww1970 is a splendid one to beholdaww1970 is a splendid one to beholdaww1970 is a splendid one to beholdaww1970 is a splendid one to beholdaww1970 is a splendid one to behold
aww1970's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by B_brand View Post
I broke off my factory trailer light plug and had to buy a new one. The dealership said that they would have to order the whole wiring harness and it would be over $200. So I told them I would fix it myself. I searched on here and found several write-ups on how to fix and relocate the plug. I ended up locating the new plug in the bumper next to the license tag. I have included a few pictures to help anyone else out.

The functions for the wires in the factory harness are:
White - Ground
Red - Left Turn (will also come on with brakes)
Brown - Right Turn (will also come on with brakes)
Black - 12v (this is the constant hot wire it will only be on when the ignition is on)
Blue - Electric Brake
Yellow - Reverse Lights
Green - Tail Lights
Thanks for posting the colors of the factory harness, it saved me some headaches.
Old 09-17-2014, 12:24 PM   #7
reellittlephish is one of the sharper tools in the shedreellittlephish is one of the sharper tools in the shedreellittlephish is one of the sharper tools in the shedreellittlephish is one of the sharper tools in the shedreellittlephish is one of the sharper tools in the shedreellittlephish is one of the sharper tools in the shedreellittlephish is one of the sharper tools in the shedreellittlephish is one of the sharper tools in the shedreellittlephish is one of the sharper tools in the shedreellittlephish is one of the sharper tools in the shedreellittlephish is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tom
reellittlephish's Tacoma Gallery
Nice job. I used an E-Trailer custom 5 pin harness to outfit my 2007 Tacoma Access Cab. Cost $63.55. Took about 3 hours to install and I was extra careful. Never had popped the rear lenses off this truck.