1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help finding a OEM, or same look, Hitch.

Discussion in 'Towing' started by Fightnfire, Dec 31, 2011.

1. Dec 31, 2011 at 1:33 PM
    Fightnfire

Fightnfire [OP] Recklessly tired

Member:
    Marysville, WA
    Vehicle:
    2021 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4 (Prev 09 Access Cab V6 4X4)
    Starting over with a new GMC AT4 Satin Steel Metallic Softopper, Bilstein 5100's @ 1.75 in the front, TSB Rear, 17x8.5 Lvl 8 Guardians, 265/70-17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W, Scooped, Anytime fog mod, Osram Nightbreakers, LED Interior lights, Debadged, Painted valance, Removed rear head rests, De-flapped, Hidden Hitch installed, Weather Techs, Flyzeye'd A/W/A, Cover Kings.
    I recently purchased a hitch from u-haul and had them install it. I asked, and asked, to make sure that the majority of the hitch be hidden. They said it would be.

After the install it's not hidden at all. The whole crossbar from the hitch sticks down below the bumper and is visible. Ugly.

The manager has agreed to uninstall the hitch and refund me all of my money. Nothing wrong with their service it was great as was the price... $158.00 + $32.00 for install. The hitch itself i believe is made by Valley and seems to be built really solid. I just don't like how visible it is.

I see Tacoma's all over that came with the tow package.. the only visible part of the hitch is the receiver itself. I'm picky, but I want that look or close to it.

I'm looking to spend 150-200 on the hitch itself, if closer to $150.00 I'll pay someone to install it .. if closer to 200, I'll tackle it myself. Pretty easy. The stealerships want ~$350.00 for one.

Also, this will mainly be used for recovery. If I do any towing, it would be a small trailer and 14' alum boat. So class III is fine, IV is also fine.

Thoughts?
    Thanks!

2. Dec 31, 2011 at 1:35 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Look for a Tacoma hitch in junkyards/ebay/part warehouse type places...Try to get the OEM version??

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  3. Dec 31, 2011 at 1:37 PM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    I think you mean OEM not OME, which is a brand for shocks and springs.

That said, probably the best you're going to do is the "hidden hitch" brand hitch.

It's a pretty straightforward DIY install.

4. Dec 31, 2011 at 1:41 PM
    bizjettech

bizjettech Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sunny Florida
  5. Jan 3, 2012 at 10:02 AM
    Fightnfire

Fightnfire [OP] Recklessly tired

Member:
    Marysville, WA
    Vehicle:
    2021 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4 (Prev 09 Access Cab V6 4X4)
    Starting over with a new GMC AT4 Satin Steel Metallic Softopper, Bilstein 5100's @ 1.75 in the front, TSB Rear, 17x8.5 Lvl 8 Guardians, 265/70-17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W, Scooped, Anytime fog mod, Osram Nightbreakers, LED Interior lights, Debadged, Painted valance, Removed rear head rests, De-flapped, Hidden Hitch installed, Weather Techs, Flyzeye'd A/W/A, Cover Kings.

Products Discussed in

To Top