1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Receiver question

Discussion in 'Towing' started by Xtra-SPunk, Nov 29, 2008.

1. Nov 29, 2008 at 9:12 PM
    Xtra-SPunk

Xtra-SPunk [OP] Member

Member:
    An idea popped in my head the other day and I'm in need of some help to see if it is truly possible. My fiance drives a '05 4Runner Sport with a tow package. I drive a '08 Tacoma X-SP that doesn't have a tow package. She won't be towing anything with her 4Runner (that would be scary with her at the wheel :eek:), but I plan to do so with the Taco. So, since the two vehicles are on the same chassis...will the receiver on her 4Runner fit on my Taco? I'm not concerned about wiring and the tranny cooler as I would go aftermarket for those...just specifically the hitch receiver. I did some searching and couldn't find anything definite. Help is much appreciated!

2. Nov 29, 2008 at 9:29 PM
    oldtacomaguy

oldtacomaguy four forty four

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SE Conn.
    Vehicle:
    08 SR-5 4WD Impulse Red Pearl
    Alpine deck and amp, Polk speakers front and rear, Kenwood subwoofer, windows tinted to 20%, Sockmonkey decals, TSB, Eibach springs and Bilstein 5100's
    Don't really know the answer, but the only way to tell is to crawl under there and do some measuring. The bolts on that 05 reciever will be pretty much rusted on.

3. Nov 30, 2008 at 6:55 PM
    maverick491

maverick491 Towing Guru

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Access Cab, TRD off road, 6 cyl, 6 spd
    Activator III brake controller, Extang Fulltilt toneau, Factory bed mat, Extra D-rings in the bed, 2ndary air filter removed, Garmin Ique GPS, Eco-2, AFE Pro Dry-s filter, USASPEC PA12-toy, Pioneer 3-way speakers, SG II on Blendmount, Gulf States Alarm added.
    I am not 100% sure on this, so the only way to be sure is to un-bolt the hitch from the 4 runner and see if it lines up on the taco, but having not done that I am going to say NO.

Here's how I reached this conclusion. A search of aftermarket hitches on the internet shows the following:

05 4 runnner:

Draw Tite part number 75155
    Hidden Hitch part number 70779
    Reese Part Number 44548

08 Tacoma:

Draw Tite part number75236
    Hidden Hitch part number 87581
    Reese part number 33090

Also please note that atleast in the aftermarket the 4runner hitches are rated to 3500 lbs, while the taco hitches are rated to 5000 lbs. That could just be aftermarket, but it could be factory as well so I'd urge you not to do this because even if the bolt holes line up, you could be trying to pull more with your taco than the 4runner hitch can withstand, and once you take to the roads with that set up, you are then taking a chance with my life and the lives of my family and I'd request that you not do that.

Spend the $135 or so on a hitch that is designed and rated for your truck.

Regards,

Adam

4. Nov 30, 2008 at 7:36 PM
    Clelsdah

Clelsdah Western Alliance: Yeehaw Division

Member:
    No California Foothills
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 4x4
    Bed mat, tube steps, Ipod interface, Ride-rite air springs
    Not sure of compatability but I have a 08 taco and the wife has a 05 4runner both with tow packages. In my opinion the 4runner tows better. Possibly due to 4 wheel disc brakes, traction control, and the weight of the 4 runner. The Taco tows fine and has a higher capacity but its more comfortable in the wife's ride. BTW I will never admit this to my wife.

5. Nov 30, 2008 at 8:31 PM
    genxer36

genxer36 Lord of Tomfoolery

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Bethlehem,GA
    Tow package, XM Satellite radio, K & N Air filter, & Channel Vent Visors
    Since she is your fiancee. Why bother moving it. Just use the 4runner if you need to tow.

6. Dec 1, 2008 at 4:49 AM
    Xtra-SPunk

Xtra-SPunk [OP] Member

Member:
    That pretty much sums it up. Thanks for all the info guys...looks like I'll be on the hunt for a new receiver.

Products Discussed in

To Top