Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

trouble finding 2012 wiring for trailer

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-25-2012, 09:25 AM   #1
Koko is on a distinguished road
Koko's Tacoma Gallery
trouble finding 2012 wiring for trailer

Iím a new Tacoma owneróand new to this forum. Iíve got a base model 2012 access cab without the tow package. Iíd like to add 4-flat wiring for a small utility trailer, which I did on my old í96 Ranger for about $40. My Toyota dealer, though, is asking $170 parts + $90-140 labor, which seems like WAY too much unless Iím missing something.

I read chapter 9 in the ďbibleĒ here but the links to the instructions are outdated and the wiring parts suggested wonít fit the 2012. I canít seem to find aftermarket wiring anywhere. Any suggestions?

And one other question: What do you do with the trailer end of the wire when itís not being used? I used to just wrap it around the hitch on my old beat up truck but am looking for something neater on the shiny new Taco.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:34 AM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I believe the 2012 tail lights are the same as the 2011 so I can't see why one of those T-in wire connectors wouldn't work for your Tacoma (I'd call your dealership to confirm they are the same). In which case, it's a simple plug and play to get a flat 4 connector. As far as the plug, I zip tied mine to the hitch frame. It does hang about even with the receiver and you can see it from behind the truck, but I don't think it's unsightly at all.

Says it will fit a 2012:
http://www.autoanything.com/towing/75A3875A0A0.aspx
Old 01-25-2012, 02:43 PM   #3
Koko is on a distinguished road
Koko's Tacoma Gallery
Ah, thanks Pugga.

I dropped by the dealer in person to talk with one of the parts guys and figured out that they were quoting me a price for the wiring for a new hitch, not just bumper towing. The guy claimed Toyota doesn't have a simple T-connector wire for 4-flat --which surprises me--and encouraged me to find an aftermarket option.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:46 PM   #4
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Mine also did not have the tow package so I went all aftermarket. Class 3 hidden hitch and a wire tap system like the link above for a flat 4 connection. The wiring harness just plugs into the tail lights, couldn't be any simplier!
Old 01-25-2012, 02:48 PM   #5
kev2lz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkev2lz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkev2lz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkev2lz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkev2lz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkev2lz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkev2lz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkev2lz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkev2lz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkev2lz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkev2lz is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Don't call me Bubba!
kev2lz's Tacoma Gallery
You might give UHaul a try as well. I think their wiring kits are pretty reasonable.
Old 01-29-2012, 03:20 PM   #6
Phillywill is on a distinguished road

Air Force: 1963-1967 - E4 - Goose AB, Labrador & Walker AFB, NM
Name: Will
Phillywill's Tacoma Gallery
I used after market wiring harness on my 2011 and it was really simple to do. It took me about an hour.
Question: It looks like the bumper is an extension of the frame on my Taco. Shoudn't this be as strong as a frame hitch?
Old 02-14-2012, 09:25 AM   #7
TurnTheLead is on a distinguished road
TurnTheLead's Tacoma Gallery
I installed a curt wiring harness on my 2012 from streetsideauto.com . It was a 2011 tacoma harness and installed just fine. I have little mechanical experience and was able to install it myself, pretty easily, in about half an hour.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:31 AM   #8
redz80 is a splendid one to beholdredz80 is a splendid one to beholdredz80 is a splendid one to beholdredz80 is a splendid one to beholdredz80 is a splendid one to beholdredz80 is a splendid one to beholdredz80 is a splendid one to beholdredz80 is a splendid one to behold

redz80's Tacoma Gallery
Iíve got a base model 2012 access cab without the tow package.

Theirs your first misstake!

Products Discussed in this Thread