Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Gooseneck hitch in a Tacoma

Old 02-03-2012, 08:51 PM   #1
csu grad is on a distinguished road
csu grad's Tacoma Gallery
Gooseneck hitch in a Tacoma

Ok guys. Ive done a lot of searching for gooseneck hitches in tacomas. Mostly what I have found is one guy asking about them and many others bashing on him. I am a graduating in may with a BS in mechanical engineering. I have spent my whole life around trailers and have seen many stupid ideas. This idea is far from stupid. Having a gooseneck hitch in a truck is not necessarily to haul more weight. A gooseneck is easier to back up, tows better, allows access into tighter spaces such as turning around on a normal street, and it distributes the weight throughout the truck much better. All trucks still have a max GVWR and should not be exceeded. This being said, if you are towing a trailer that is (in the case of a 1st gen tacoma) 3500 lbs, why wouldn't you want to do it with a gooseneck so all of the above mentioned was involved. I have run some calculations on the set up that I built and it is rated much lower than the standard B&W turnover ball gooseneck, but it still exceeds the towing limits of the tacoma. If anyone has any serous questions, I would be more than happy to answer them. Please keep in mind when looking at the pic that this is not rated to the original manufacturers weight ratings. If anyone is interested, I can snap some pics of the bed installed.
Attached Thumbnails
Gooseneck hitch in a Tacoma-imag0061.jpg  
Old 05-08-2014, 10:55 AM   #2
kewalaman is on a distinguished road
Marines: Company Gunny
Name: Mic
kewalaman's Tacoma Gallery
Gooseneck for Tacoma

I have been one of those guys that people laugh at when I ask about building a gooseneck system for my truck. I love my truck and it has 250k miles on it without an issue.
My only problem is when out with my two hunting dogs...we get into some tight places and it just doesn't have the turning radius I'd like. I don't haul heavy but I like all the many positive things that towing a gooseneck trailer offers. Can you give me some advice as to who might convert my truck. Once that is done the Big TeX place here will build a trailer for me.
Old 05-09-2014, 12:05 PM   #3
Indy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Indy's Tacoma Gallery
One of the kickers would be the weight. Most gneck's I've seen weight more than their bumper pull counterpart. Plus the weight of the hitch eats into your payload a bit.

After that for shops I'd say liability will keep them from doing it. If someone asked me to put a hitch that allows them to tow 40billion pounds onto their truck rated for 16 oz, even though they 'promise' not to do it, I'd be hesitant to say the least.
Old 05-12-2014, 04:48 AM   #4
Trying to Spread Common Sense and Rational Thought
tx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 1st Fast Co, Golf 2/4
Name: Zech (pronounced zak)
tx_shooter's Tacoma Gallery
I have seen a red Tacoma around my hometown that has a gooseneck and the truck pulls a 20' gooseneck trailer. I have always wanted to catch the truck stopped so I could check it out. That said - like was mentioned earlier; most gooseneck trailers are built heavy so your custom build would need to focus on staying on a diet so as to not quickly overload the truck.

I'm not saying you cannot do it; just asking you to document it really well for anyone in the future that might want to. As for me; I have an old 3/4 ton that I am going to use for towing.
Old 05-12-2014, 08:15 AM   #5
Master Baiter
jethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Geoff
jethro's Tacoma Gallery
Your reasons are certainly valid, but I guess my question is what is the trailer you are going to haul? Since we are talking a truck with a very low 6500lb tow rating, what trailers are you going to haul? I mean no recreational boat trailer is going to be a gooseneck, you aren't going to find a 5th wheel camper that is light enough for your rig (they are a 5th wheel for a reason), you aren't going to haul a 40' low boy 5th wheel flatbed which exceeds your tow rating empty... so I guess I am confused as to what you will tow? Just seems like a lot of effort to tow something that doesn't really exist, but maybe I just don't know?
Old 05-12-2014, 08:25 AM   #6
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jethro View Post
Your reasons are certainly valid, but I guess my question is what is the trailer you are going to haul? Since we are talking a truck with a very low 6500lb tow rating, what trailers are you going to haul? I mean no recreational boat trailer is going to be a gooseneck, you aren't going to find a 5th wheel camper that is light enough for your rig (they are a 5th wheel for a reason), you aren't going to haul a 40' low boy 5th wheel flatbed which exceeds your tow rating empty... so I guess I am confused as to what you will tow? Just seems like a lot of effort to tow something that doesn't really exist, but maybe I just don't know?
Check out Scamp 5th wheel campers. Generally, I can definitely see and agree with your point but that's just one example of a 5th wheel trailer that can be towed behind a small truck. Any others I'd imagine would have to be custom?
Old 05-12-2014, 08:28 AM   #7
Master Baiter
jethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Geoff
jethro's Tacoma Gallery
Well whaddya know? And a Tacoma pulling it! Actually an awesome trailer, kick ass setup!

Old 05-12-2014, 08:56 AM   #8
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jethro View Post
Well whaddya know? And a Tacoma pulling it! Actually an awesome trailer, kick ass setup!

If you have that particular set up, I can see the reason behind installing a gooseneck. Otherwise, as you mentioned, most goosenecks are much heavier than what you'd tow behind a Tacoma. The OP has all the pros of a gooseneck correct, it's just that most are heavy sum-biches.