Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

is it really bad to tow with truck <1k miles?

Old 02-11-2012, 06:03 PM   #1
AKA "06tacosport"
Lunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beth
Lunercrab's Tacoma Gallery
is it really bad to tow with truck <1k miles?

OK so I just bought my 2012 back in December. Its pretty much a pleasure vehicle since my corolla is my DD. Long story short my first camping trip will be at the end of April. I only have like 300 miles on it now and probably wont have more then maybe 500 miles and a fresh oil change before then. Now I'm only towing a 1400lb popup. Is that gunna be bad for the truck?
Old 02-11-2012, 06:04 PM   #2
ppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phuong
ppham444's Tacoma Gallery
I think they recommend not towing anything for the first 1000 miles.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:48 PM   #3
wolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Rick
wolftree's Tacoma Gallery
Lunercrab,

I do not see any real problems with towing that small of load. I would avoid maintaining the engine at a constant speed very long. Slowdown, or down shift occassionally. Do not lug the engine on grades.

Do you have the trailer already? If so, do a 20-50 mile test drive with the trailer so as to have plenty of time to discover and correct any problems found, lights, brakes, correct hitch drop.

1400 pound is like 4-5 people and their luggage. So read through your owners manual on towing and follow their suggestions, you should be fine. Have a great trip.
Old 02-11-2012, 07:23 PM   #4
spithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Patrick
spithead051's Tacoma Gallery
I had 600 miles on my truck and towed a 3000 lb trailer ~300 miles over two days. Just don't race the engine or try climbing a mountain with it and you should be fine. I'm at 26k now and have had no powertrain issues.
Old 02-11-2012, 07:41 PM   #5
sechsgang will become famous soon enough
sechsgang's Tacoma Gallery
You'd probably be fine, but why not use it to commute a few times to get over the 1,000 miles mark? Won't cost much and give you peace of mind?
Old 02-11-2012, 10:32 PM   #6
AKA "06tacosport"
Lunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shed

^ problem is I deliver for a living so whatever vehicle I use to get to work I have to deliver with. Filling up that tank vs the corolla will kill me. Plus with the hard city aggressive stop and go driving I think would be worse for my truck.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:32 AM   #7
sechsgang will become famous soon enough
sechsgang's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunercrab View Post
^ problem is I deliver for a living so whatever vehicle I use to get to work I have to deliver with. Filling up that tank vs the corolla will kill me. Plus with the hard city aggressive stop and go driving I think would be worse for my truck.
For 500 extra miles it would be say an extra 10 gallons or so? No, the stop and go won't hurt it.
It's up to you, as I said, you'll probably be fine either way. But I guess since you asked you are not sure, so the piece of mind I thought might be worth it to you.

One question: you traded a 2010 Tacoma for a brand new 2012 model, drive a 2010 Corolla sport, got new wheels and tires for the truck already that has under 500 miles on it, $500 seat covers, and $40 extra in gas "will kill" you? No big deal, just saying, it kinda stuck out and seemed odd ....
Old 02-12-2012, 10:09 AM   #8
AKA "06tacosport"

^lol its the slow time of the year at the shop right now so instead of averaging 20-30 bucks an hour I'm lucky if I make 13. That's the only thing that sucks delivering its never guaranteed income. I can afford mY lifestyle one month and can't the next. Plus I hate to stink up my poor truck with food.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:15 AM   #9
AKA "06tacosport"

Oh and the tires rims and covers I actually took off my 2010 and bought those back in 09 wasn't gunna let the dealer get those from me