Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Hi Lo or Trail Manor type travel trailer

Old 09-17-2013, 12:10 PM   #21
Middle Age Member
oldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to behold
oldstick's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the info. No bad back for me but we are just looking moving a little closer to "park and relax" than the the cranking style pop-up provides. We may check the trail manors out and see firsthand. But what makes them so expensive? Higher quality materials or supply/demand or what?

We're kind of leaning towards one of the smaller hybrids with pull out beds but sort of concerned with towing a high profile with the Taco.
Old 09-17-2013, 03:14 PM   #22
Oceanfisherman
campthewestcoast is on a distinguished road
campthewestcoast's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldstick View Post
Thanks for the info. No bad back for me but we are just looking moving a little closer to "park and relax" than the the cranking style pop-up provides. We may check the trail manors out and see firsthand. But what makes them so expensive? Higher quality materials or supply/demand or what?

We're kind of leaning towards one of the smaller hybrids with pull out beds but sort of concerned with towing a high profile with the Taco.
The trailmanors and hi-lo's price is supply/demand, plus any lighter wieght trailer is going to be more expensive. Compare the set-up time and the number of steps including setting the seal between the upper and lower sections, swinging-up cabinets and setting up bathroom walls between trailmanors and hi-lo. The same type of materials are used in most travel trailers except for the lifting hardware. The hybrid trailers that have the pull-out beds have a large temperature swing between bed area and solid built center section(ever walk into one at the heat of the day?) The high profile does hurt the gas mileage and you'll have to use a sway control on the WDH(but some of them built in) I'm not very basis because I own a Hi-Lo, and I wouldn't tow anything else. Plus hi-lo's have the largest counterspace for food prep than any other make in the same length of trailer. It comes down to personal choice and the floor plan that works best for your family.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:12 AM   #23
David100 is on a distinguished road
Air Force: EOD
David100's Tacoma Gallery
I agree with campthewestcoast comments about personal choice and needs and the supply and demand determining price. The TM we own suits us, but we did not buy it new (over $33,000.) We didn't buy the previous TM we owned new either for the same reason. However, we wanted a low profile, solid side popup. I was familiar with HiLos, really liked them, but I wanted something lighter weight. Our TM, a 3124KS, weighs about 3740# ready to go. Even though it is lower profile that a full upright, your gas mileage still will suffer. We average about 13-15 at 60-65 mph over hilly to mountain terrain--Smoky Mtns. Our has a lot of counter space because we have only one king bed at the rear and a sofa pullout, recliner, and dresser at the other end where we eat and relax--our LR. Good luck with your decision.