Notices

Transporting a Motorcycle in the Bed

Old 02-28-2012, 02:39 AM   #1
Six lugs of fury!
Performula is on a distinguished road
Name: Justinian the Gr3iht
Performula's Tacoma Gallery
Transporting a Motorcycle in the Bed

I keep reading the second generation Tacoma's tailgate is fragile. Will the tailgate crack or bow? Will the composite bed be able to handle 450 pounds on two 2x2 inches of pressure? I could aim/caddy corner each frame rail but in the center would be best.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:21 AM   #2
Kermit
SVHANC is on a distinguished road

Name: Sam
SVHANC's Tacoma Gallery
I have carried a Yamaha TW200 and PW80 in the bed at the same time. I have carried a DRZ400 alone. I have carried a SV650 alone.
Never had a problem.
The longer bikes I carry caddy-corner just because I like wedging the front wheel in the corner when tying down. The Yamaha dirtbikes go straight.

I think they beefed up the tailgate in '09. I haven't seen any signs of flexing. I usually position my ramps off-center, so I may not be seeing worst case.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:20 AM   #3
Six lugs of fury!
How did you tie down the SV without scratching the paint? And did you only use the rear D-Rings? I'm kind of skeptical about removing the two front Torx screws and putting D-Rings under them. I read about people doing that a while ago too.
Old 03-07-2012, 03:52 PM   #4
Six lugs of fury!
?
Old 03-07-2012, 03:55 PM   #5
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
I loaded my CBR900RR into my 2011 DCSB and had no issues with it. The rear tire just barly sat over the crack from where the bed and tailgate meet. I don't have pics.. I used a ramp that my buddy had for his quads and had 2 people help balance it while I rode it up. Scary shit getting it up there, even more scary riding it down. But it fits fine and my 900rr is a big heavy sport bike.
Old 03-07-2012, 03:56 PM   #6
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Jester243's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Performula View Post
I keep reading the second generation Tacoma's tailgate is fragile.

Where?
Old 03-07-2012, 03:59 PM   #7
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester243 View Post
Where?
There is a mod to reinforce in the mods & tutorials because its a known issue.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...html#post45520

My friend sat on mine, weighs 250lbs, and his girl (130lbs maybe) I thought it was going to snap the fuck off.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:05 PM   #8
Six lugs of fury!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aw9d View Post
I loaded my CBR900RR into my 2011 DCSB and had no issues with it. The rear tire just barly sat over the crack from where the bed and tailgate meet. I don't have pics.. I used a ramp that my buddy had for his quads and had 2 people help balance it while I rode it up. Scary shit getting it up there, even more scary riding it down. But it fits fine and my 900rr is a big heavy sport bike.
Yeah, I know which ramps you're talking about. I've looked into the wider ramp, so I can do it by myself, but I don't know where'd I'd put the ramp. Too worried it would shift and hit the motorcycle. Even with the ramp tied down, just knowing I could potentially damage a $500 fairing, doesn't sit well with me.

Did you tow it in the center of the bed? How did you cinch it down? And at what points?
Old 03-18-2012, 03:47 PM   #9
crooks420 is on a distinguished road

Name: Jesse
crooks420's Tacoma Gallery
CCR Sports BED BUDDY motorcycle tie-down bar.
I put one in my 2005 access cab prerunner to transport two WR 450 dirt bikes. I have been using it since 2005 with no problems. I just bought a new one for my 2012 DC LB 4X4 and installed it today. The new ones dont seem as beefy as the old one, and I had to use washers to space it away from the bed so that the center tie down point would clear the factory tie-down rail. The old one had this center tie-down loop welded at the very edge (towards tail gate) and fit just fine up against the factory rail; the new one was welded closer to center, so I had to space it back.
In the pics below, the old one is faded.
This works great for hauling 1-3 motorcycles; I have had two full size 450 dirt bikes and a mini 110 once, but usually just the two 450's.

Jesse

Old 03-25-2012, 10:23 PM   #10
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yamaha Dave's Tacoma Gallery
I have a Yamaha R1 and it doesn't even pass the tailgate and I have a 5ft bed. The trick is just angle the back sideways strapped in. I also have a bed extender and can haul it straight in with no problems. I've hauled it 400+ miles several times like this as well as other bikes I had/have, never had an issue.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:53 AM   #11
Gregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gregman's Tacoma Gallery
I've been nervous about my tailgate bending when loading the bikes on. It does seem like a bit of a weak tailgate for a motorcycle or two to be riding on. Thankfully I have a long bed so the rear wheels don't actually ride on the tailgate when I'm under way, but loading the bikes I'm still concerned about.

My XR650L

My CR250R

Old 03-26-2012, 08:58 AM   #12
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Here's what I do:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/mot...dcsb-pics.html

As far as tying the ramps in next to the bike, tie them well and they won't shift and hit the bike...
Old 05-06-2012, 01:13 PM   #13
Six lugs of fury!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregman View Post
I've been nervous about my tailgate bending when loading the bikes on. It does seem like a bit of a weak tailgate for a motorcycle or two to be riding on. Thankfully I have a long bed so the rear wheels don't actually ride on the tailgate when I'm under way, but loading the bikes I'm still concerned about.
I'd definitely take the bed off, just in case. I'm curious if it would even close.

Hard to take off? I don't want to scratch anything.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:41 AM   #14
Gregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gregman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Performula View Post
I'd definitely take the bed off, just in case. I'm curious if it would even close.

Hard to take off? I don't want to scratch anything.
I take it you mean take off the tailgate? I think you could get the tailgate closed if you put the bike in cros cornered; I prefer to put it in straight myself and don't bother with the tailgate. The tailgate is super easy to take off - just ask the thieves.

These readyramps are a good idea for those that are worried about loosing stuff out of the bed with a motorcycle or wheeler in there.
http://www.readyramp.com/
Old 05-16-2014, 09:07 PM   #15
Six lugs of fury!
I finally bought a ramp. Does this look too steep? 6.83' in length. Surely someone that has a six footer has made it withough scraping the belly of their sport bike? This DB's look no problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Transporting a Motorcycle in the Bed-image.jpg  
Old 05-16-2014, 09:16 PM   #16
Im not like the other Crumbs, Im my own Crumb
NEWBIETACO has much to be proud ofNEWBIETACO has much to be proud ofNEWBIETACO has much to be proud ofNEWBIETACO has much to be proud ofNEWBIETACO has much to be proud ofNEWBIETACO has much to be proud ofNEWBIETACO has much to be proud ofNEWBIETACO has much to be proud ofNEWBIETACO has much to be proud ofNEWBIETACO has much to be proud of

Name: JAKE
NEWBIETACO's Tacoma Gallery
Looks steep, possibly put it on a curb then ride it up
Old 05-16-2014, 09:27 PM   #17
Six lugs of fury!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWBIETACO View Post
Looks steep, possibly put it on a curb then ride it up
I'm thinking of removing the tailgate as well. That would drop it down about 4".
Old 05-16-2014, 09:29 PM   #18
NEWBIETACO has much to be proud ofNEWBIETACO has much to be proud ofNEWBIETACO has much to be proud ofNEWBIETACO has much to be proud ofNEWBIETACO has much to be proud ofNEWBIETACO has much to be proud ofNEWBIETACO has much to be proud ofNEWBIETACO has much to be proud ofNEWBIETACO has much to be proud ofNEWBIETACO has much to be proud of

What kind of bike is it?
Old 05-16-2014, 09:37 PM   #19
Six lugs of fury!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWBIETACO View Post
What kind of bike is it?
Current generation GSXR1000. I was going to remove the tail gate and put the ramp on the rear bumper. Also thinking about a couple boards "stepped" at the beginning of the ramp if needed. I got such a great deal on the ramp ($80) I'd hate to spend another $170-220 to gain another foot.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:42 PM   #20

I'd put it on the curb or put something under the ramp like jack stands then get a 2x12 and put it to the bottom of the ramp, it's like two ramps I've done it before. Just be sure to tie the 2x12 to the metal ramp