Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Which size ball mount drop?

Old 03-03-2012, 09:30 AM   #1
tacos is on a distinguished road

Name: Andrew
tacos's Tacoma Gallery
Which size ball mount drop?

So I've never towed anything before but my wife and I just bought our first boat. Seeing as I need to get it home I suppose I need a ball mount for my hitch. My question to you guys is which size drop do I need, im lifted with 5100s and a 1.5 aal out back. Will the standard 2 inch drop work or will I need more? Thanks
Old 03-03-2012, 10:09 AM   #2
40 Year Toyota/Chrysler Tech/ASE Master
Tacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Tacoma Mike's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacos View Post
So I've never towed anything before but my wife and I just bought our first boat. Seeing as I need to get it home I suppose I need a ball mount for my hitch. My question to you guys is which size drop do I need, im lifted with 5100s and a 1.5 aal out back. Will the standard 2 inch drop work or will I need more? Thanks
http://www.etrailer.com/faq-ballmount.aspx

Start with this........

Have someone else with good towing experience tow the new toy home.

Take it to a big open lot and PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE.

Had a guy pick up a new travel trailer and proceeded to rip the back half open on his first turn. Don't want to see that happen to you.

If the boat is wider than the truck then a good set of mirrors will be necessary.
Be safe and have lots of fun...

Oh yea

PICS or you never bought it.... LOL
Old 03-03-2012, 10:32 AM   #3

tacos's Tacoma Gallery
I have some experience towing, I used to work at the airport and had to drive a tug around with the carts attached. . It still feels like we haven't bought anything because we don't actually have the boat yet, bank account is smaller though.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:38 AM   #4
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Ask the trailer dealer how high the hitch is on the trailer, then measure your truck?
Old 03-03-2012, 11:10 AM   #5
Tacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
I have some experience towing, I used to work at the airport and had to drive a tug around with the carts attached. . It still feels like we haven't bought anything because we don't actually have the boat yet, bank account is smaller though.
From your prev post you said you NEVER towed anything. Just don't want you to have issues.
I know how you feel about the bank account and nothing to show for it.

KenLyns idea in theory is good however it depends on how careful they actually do the measurement for you.......

I'm real anal about this and i also allow for the rear drop for the tongue weight, etc.

I have 3 trailers with three different ball mounts....
Old 03-03-2012, 11:43 AM   #6

tacos's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the advice guys, I guess I'll just make a trip up to the dealer and measure the trailer myself now that I know what to look for. Want to go up there and window shop anyway. BtW when I said I have no towing experience I meant on roads with traffic. I will definitely have to go practice and make the wife practice too. One of us will by controlling the truck and one launching the boat, we both need to be comfortable with each.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Thanks for the advice guys, I guess I'll just make a trip up to the dealer and measure the trailer myself now that I know what to look for. Want to go up there and window shop anyway. BtW when I said I have no towing experience I meant on roads with traffic. I will definitely have to go practice and make the wife practice too. One of us will by controlling the truck and one launching the boat, we both need to be comfortable with each.
The wife and I have been tag teaming the boat launches forever. We have it down to a good routine. We each have our job to do and it's the best way.
Bring a tape measure with you...........

What kind of boat is it ????????
Old 03-03-2012, 02:27 PM   #8

tacos's Tacoma Gallery
Crownline 195ss with the carbd 6cyl.
Old 03-03-2012, 04:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Crownline 195ss with the carbd 6cyl.
Great.
Your AAL will help in the rear but your going to need to be careful and test the waters
in the handling dept. At around 3600# that trailer has to have brakes on it so I assume you have a controller going in the truck with a factory installed tow package.
Old 03-03-2012, 05:07 PM   #10

tacos's Tacoma Gallery
The trailer has hydraulic disc brakes, I think it should be ok, I may lower the front end down a notch on the 5100s to add some rake so it will sit more level when the trailer is attached. And I will post pics once I get it home.
Old 03-03-2012, 05:14 PM   #11

Quote:
The trailer has hydraulic disc brakes, I think it should be ok, I may lower the front end down a notch on the 5100s to add some rake so it will sit more level when the trailer is attached. And I will post pics once I get it home.
Well good luck and enjoy the water. I can't wait for the new season. My casting arm needs a workout..