Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Help- towing capacity

Old 03-14-2012, 04:33 AM   #1
Currier is on a distinguished road
Currier's Tacoma Gallery
Help- towing capacity

Hi all,
I have a 2010, v6, access cab, 4 x 4 with 6 speed manual transmission. Looking to upgrade to a bigger boat 4,000+ lbs. I am rigged with a class three hitch to the frame now. So it looks like from the owners manual I am only rated for a capacity of 3,500lbs with this set up. Anyone have any trouble towing larger loads with the set up I have? Thanks
Old 03-14-2012, 05:33 AM   #2
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Don't tow above your rated capacity. You'll shorten the life of your truck, and stability/handling will fall off the more weight you haul.
That said, occasional overweight by a couple hundred pounds won't be bad. 500+ and you're asking for trouble. Get a bigger truck when you get the big boat
Old 04-15-2012, 04:43 PM   #3
fauskar is on a distinguished road
Name: Rick
fauskar's Tacoma Gallery
I have an 09' version of your truck with frame hitch class IV. I assume that's what you really have on yours. I've towed 3K lbs without any problem and wouldn't have any issue going to 5K or 6K. Your manual transmission means 1) you don't need a transmission cooler and 2) you won't suffer from automatic up shifts and down shifts. All things equal, a manual transmission is simply better suited for towing than an automatic. You can 1) choose the gear for pulling, 2) use the engine for braking.
Simply, your truck is capable of 6500 lbs as long as the hitch can handle it. It better than the others with automatics for towing.
That's my opinion.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:25 PM   #4
Member Caught Off Road
AWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
AWorthyOpponent's Tacoma Gallery
Standard towing capacity: 3500lbs
OEM tow package tow capacity: 6500lbs

I think that the thing that most affects the actual tow capacity on these trucks is the hitch setup itself. If the OEM package has oil and tranny coolers and stuff like that that will really help of you're making longer trips or frequent trips. For short weekend trips here and there, I wouldn't worry about towing that much. If you have hills and long trips to get to the docks, or trying to pull from the bumper...I'd change my opinion...