1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help- towing capacity

Discussion in 'Towing' started by Currier, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Mar 14, 2012 at 4:33 AM
    Currier

Currier [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Access Cab V6 4 x 4
    Hi all,
    I have a 2010, v6, access cab, 4 x 4 with 6 speed manual transmission. Looking to upgrade to a bigger boat 4,000+ lbs. I am rigged with a class three hitch to the frame now. So it looks like from the owners manual I am only rated for a capacity of 3,500lbs with this set up. Anyone have any trouble towing larger loads with the set up I have? Thanks

2. Mar 14, 2012 at 5:33 AM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    Don't tow above your rated capacity. You'll shorten the life of your truck, and stability/handling will fall off the more weight you haul.
    That said, occasional overweight by a couple hundred pounds won't be bad. 500+ and you're asking for trouble. Get a bigger truck when you get the big boat

3. Apr 15, 2012 at 4:43 PM
    fauskar

fauskar Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    SR5
    Hitch
    I have an 09' version of your truck with frame hitch class IV. I assume that's what you really have on yours. I've towed 3K lbs without any problem and wouldn't have any issue going to 5K or 6K. Your manual transmission means 1) you don't need a transmission cooler and 2) you won't suffer from automatic up shifts and down shifts. All things equal, a manual transmission is simply better suited for towing than an automatic. You can 1) choose the gear for pulling, 2) use the engine for braking.
    Simply, your truck is capable of 6500 lbs as long as the hitch can handle it. It better than the others with automatics for towing.
    That's my opinion.

4. Apr 16, 2012 at 2:25 PM
    AWorthyOpponent

AWorthyOpponent Member Caught Off Road

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Palm Beach County, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCLB TRD SPORT 4x4
    TRD Catback Exhaust
    Standard towing capacity: 3500lbs
    OEM tow package tow capacity: 6500lbs

I think that the thing that most affects the actual tow capacity on these trucks is the hitch setup itself. If the OEM package has oil and tranny coolers and stuff like that that will really help of you're making longer trips or frequent trips. For short weekend trips here and there, I wouldn't worry about towing that much. If you have hills and long trips to get to the docks, or trying to pull from the bumper...I'd change my opinion...

Products Discussed in

To Top