Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

TRD vs SR5

Old 03-17-2012, 10:44 PM   #1
Boeingoing is on a distinguished road
Boeingoing's Tacoma Gallery
TRD vs SR5

Hi there,

I have a 2010 sr-5 double cab with a frame mounted factory hitch. My friend has a 2010 access cab TRD. They are both v6. We were having a discussion as to the towing capacity and I would like to get it straight... I was under the assumption I can tow around 3500lbs, he seems to think he can tow around 6000lbs. Does the TRD have something my truck doesn't? Or does it all come down to the hitch? Thanks for any advice!
Old 03-17-2012, 10:48 PM   #2
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome

With the factory tow package I believe the tow rating is 6500 lbs , if you both have the factory set up , your tow ratings would be the same
Old 03-17-2012, 10:51 PM   #3
Recklessly tired
Fightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Luke
Fightnfire's Tacoma Gallery
Hitch is irrelevant, as long as it's a 3 or 4 class. If yours is truly the factory tow package it's a class 4.

w/ factory tow pkg you can tow 6500ish. With a hitch but without the tow package it is 3500. open the hood and look for the Transmission cooler that comes with the factory tow package, it's a smaller looking radiator that would sit just in front of the stock radiator. If you have that, 6500. If not, much less.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tow...html#post35019
Old 03-17-2012, 11:02 PM   #4
Thanks guys, so the easiest way to solve this problem is see who has the transmission cooler hence the towing package. I bought this truck with 3000 miles so no original history on it. Would the hitch say the rating or am I looking for the 7 pin plug?
Old 03-17-2012, 11:03 PM   #5
Recklessly tired
Fightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Luke
Fightnfire's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeingoing View Post
Thanks guys, so the easiest way to solve this problem is see who has the transmission cooler hence the towing package. I bought this truck with 3000 miles so no original history on it. Would the hitch say the rating or am I looking for the 7 pin plug?
hitch should have a sticker with the rating
Old 03-17-2012, 11:03 PM   #6
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Look for the cooler and 7 pin plug.
Old 03-17-2012, 11:11 PM   #7
You guys are quick! Thanks
Old 03-19-2012, 10:53 AM   #8
So... The truck has a transmission cooler and the 7 pin plug on the hitch, however the dealer said I can only tow 3000lbs as that's all it's rated for in the door sticker. Is this guy out to lunch? I'm buying a trailer, don't want to get something my truck shouldn't pull.. Is there something more ie suspension that would reduce the towing capibility? Thanks
Old 03-19-2012, 11:25 AM   #9
My name is Mudd
mcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant future

Name: mike
mcdowell's Tacoma Gallery
Tow package is 6400lb. Its in the manual
Old 04-06-2012, 09:37 PM   #10
mac424205 has much to be proud ofmac424205 has much to be proud ofmac424205 has much to be proud ofmac424205 has much to be proud ofmac424205 has much to be proud ofmac424205 has much to be proud ofmac424205 has much to be proud ofmac424205 has much to be proud ofmac424205 has much to be proud ofmac424205 has much to be proud of

Name: Mathew
mac424205's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeingoing View Post
So... The truck has a transmission cooler and the 7 pin plug on the hitch, however the dealer said I can only tow 3000lbs as that's all it's rated for in the door sticker. Is this guy out to lunch? I'm buying a trailer, don't want to get something my truck shouldn't pull.. Is there something more ie suspension that would reduce the towing capibility? Thanks
as long as you have the trans cooler, factory hitch and wiring harness, you can tow 6400-6500lbs. If you are going to tow something that has brakes on the trailer itself, then you need to get a brake control box. That controls the brakes on the trailer. You can get those at UHAUL. They will help you as long as you ask for it. They will have no problem looking up the part number and installing it for you. Or if you ask, they should be able to tell you how to do it..... As long as it has a quick connect, which it should if the 7 pin is back there.
Make sense????