1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hellwig 550 vs. Timbren for towing

Discussion in 'Towing' started by Waycan, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Apr 18, 2012 at 9:04 PM
    Waycan

Waycan [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wayne
    Okanagan, BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport
    Bilstein 5100's on front set at 1.75", Airlift Airbags on rear. Raider Vanguard canopy with power lock. 265/70R17 Yokohama Geolandars. AFE Prodry air filter, pop&lock tailgate lock
    I'm going to be towing a small Rv trailer (under 4k lbs) and I'd like to beef up the rear suspension a little. Both the Hellwig's and the Timbren's claim to level the vehicle under load without affecting the unloaded ride. From those of you who have tried either of these, or anything similar, what are your thoughts on them? Or is there something else I should consider?

note: this is a 2008 canadian trd sport doublecab with the 4 leaf rear suspension

2. Apr 19, 2012 at 5:46 AM
    wolftree

wolftree Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4 Regular cab automatic trans,
    Rear Leaf TSB, Bilstein 5100s, extra leaf added
    I think either the Hellwig or Timbrens would be good for your application. Others may disagree. For myself, I would add a Addco rear anti-sway bar as well, $125. This will help during sidewinds and semi trucks pushing against you.

If you have an automatic transmission, be sure and have a transmission cooler.

3. Apr 19, 2012 at 4:54 PM
    HighTQCummins

HighTQCummins Instagram: stormtrooptaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Hank
    SE PA
    Vehicle:
    '12 SW DCSB Sport
    5% all around, derp'd wheels, FMS40, 30" E-Series, 55w 6k bi's, 35w 5k fogs
    I have timbrens on my truck (got TSB 4leaf done, because USDM trucks obviously don't need 4 leaves factory) They are basically a taller bump stop, instead of it picking up the weight when u get all the way through the over loads, they contact the frame sooner, supporting more of the weight.

I haven't really gotten too much chance to test them out, other than a super heavy landscape trailer, but if you load heavy (payload/tounge weight) she'll still squat like an indonesian

Products Discussed in

To Top