Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Can I Flat tow?

Old 04-25-2012, 01:34 PM   #1
h20sbr is on a distinguished road
Firefighter: h2078sbr@gmail.com
h20sbr's Tacoma Gallery
Can I Flat tow?

I just needed to know if i can flat tow a new 2012 toyota tacoma 4door 4x4 behind my camper.Thanks
Old 04-25-2012, 01:35 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Not without removing the rear driveshaft.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:41 PM   #3
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Attached Thumbnails
Can I Flat tow?-untitled.jpg  
Old 04-25-2012, 01:41 PM   #4
h20sbr's Tacoma Gallery
would a manual trans be able to be flat towed?
Old 04-25-2012, 01:43 PM   #5
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by h20sbr View Post
I posted a section directly from the manual.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:46 PM   #6
GP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

GP3's Tacoma Gallery
Don't be a dinghy.
Old 04-25-2012, 02:24 PM   #7
h20sbr's Tacoma Gallery
thanks
Old 04-25-2012, 02:32 PM   #8
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by h20sbr View Post
yes, manual tranny can be flat towed. Auto cannot, unless you hook up a tranny pump or disconnect drive shaft
Old 04-25-2012, 02:37 PM   #9
Specalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Specalt's Tacoma Gallery
It says not to with 4 wheels on the ground...

I don't think this would be any better.

Can I Flat tow?-1jpg.jpg

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/davisb20/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-6.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/davisb20/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-7.png[/IMG]
Old 04-25-2012, 02:40 PM   #10
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Specalt View Post
It says not to with 4 wheels on the ground...

I don't think this would be any better.

Old 04-25-2012, 02:41 PM   #11
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawke88 View Post
yes, manual tranny can be flat towed. Auto cannot, unless you hook up a tranny pump or disconnect drive shaft
I don't think so man. Of course I have never tried it. I just follow what the manual says.
Old 04-25-2012, 02:46 PM   #12
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
I don't think so man. Of course I have never tried it. I just follow what the manual says.
our manuals are different because of auto/manual.

Autos should not be flat towed because the tranny pump is powered by the engine, so if the engine is off, oil is not circulating even though the gears are moving when being towed.
Old 04-25-2012, 02:53 PM   #13
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawke88 View Post
our manuals are different because of auto/manual.

Autos should not be flat towed because the tranny pump is powered by the engine, so if the engine is off, oil is not circulating even though the gears are moving when being towed.
I know why not to flat tow but I just wasn't sure about the manual.

I wouldn't think Toyota would make 2 manuals.
Old 04-25-2012, 02:55 PM   #14
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^

I'll have to dig through my manual when I get home.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:34 AM   #15
A_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Medicaly Discharged 13M
A_Ninja_Racer's Tacoma Gallery
Regardless of whether they make to different (owners) manuals for our truck. your not supposed to flat to an automatic but it is common practice to do so with a manual trans.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:52 AM   #16
Duby is on a distinguished road

Firefighter:
Duby's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2011 Taco 4X4 automatic and will be towing behind my motorhome. The best way to find out if your or any vehicle can be towed is search dinghy towing and there are many RV sites that provide lists. For my Taco I have to put a drive line disconnect on. The primary and in my mind the best manufacturer that does this right is Remco look them up. My estimate to include plug in for lights, with tow reciever and balance the drive shft (recommended) is $2865.00. That is the out the door price. I live in So Cal so price may vary in NY. Good luck let me know how it goes.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:34 AM   #17
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duby View Post
I have a 2011 Taco 4X4 automatic and will be towing behind my motorhome. The best way to find out if your or any vehicle can be towed is search dinghy towing and there are many RV sites that provide lists. For my Taco I have to put a drive line disconnect on. The primary and in my mind the best manufacturer that does this right is Remco look them up. My estimate to include plug in for lights, with tow reciever and balance the drive shft (recommended) is $2865.00. That is the out the door price. I live in So Cal so price may vary in NY. Good luck let me know how it goes.
damn, just disconnect the drive shaft and put some of those magnetic lights on your truck! $3000 is serious business!
Old 04-27-2012, 12:27 PM   #18
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duby View Post
Wouldn't a trailer be cheaper and easier at that price point ?
Old 04-27-2012, 01:36 PM   #19
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Wouldn't a trailer be cheaper and easier at that price point ?
I'd rather just buy something with a neutral option for the transfer case. Runner and FJ have that option.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:42 PM   #20
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
I'd rather just buy something with a neutral option for the transfer case. Runner and FJ have that option.
I'm assuming the OP already has a Tacoma , I could be wrong