Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

How heavy a horse trailer can I safely tow?

Old 04-29-2012, 11:49 PM   #1
judyc135 is on a distinguished road
judyc135's Tacoma Gallery
How heavy a horse trailer can I safely tow?

I have a 2010 Access Cab, 4WD, 6 cyl with tow package which I bought specifically to tow a horse trailer...I love driving the truck but couldn't justify the purchase of the Tacoma just for fun.

I recently bought a trailer that weighs 1900lbs and the two horses weigh about 1800lbs...problem is my horse is claustrophobic in this type of trailer and I'm thinking of selling it and getting a different style that is also slightly bigger. I know the truck is rated to tow 6,500lbs.

How high in weight for a new trailer do you think I can safely go, I'm feeling pretty cautious about this decision? Thanks!
Old 04-29-2012, 11:53 PM   #2
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
these trucks will tow 6500 but getting up there is not fun, acceleration braking and handling all deteriorate going up in weight. IMO if your going bigger you may want to consider a full size -- if it was me a diesel.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:13 PM   #3
Thanks for your responses. I was thinking of going no higher than 2,500 lbs in weight with a new trailer. What do you think?

Yes, a bigger truck would open up all kinds of trailer options but I don't want to drive anything larger because of the size and I'm already in shock at the gas pumps after driving a Corolla for 19 years.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:21 PM   #4
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
6500lbs with the V6 with tow package not just any model.

2500lbs should be fine. I'm not sure how much horses weigh though. 1000lbs? Make sure the tongue weight isn't exceeded. Also get airbags because the stock springs suck.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:35 PM   #5
deadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
deadhed61's Tacoma Gallery
I towed my 4Runner a month or so ago, which was almost the max tounge weight and tow capacity with the upgraded tow package, and the truck did just fine up/down steep grades. I was actually pretty impressed. 300 mile trip and the only thing I can complain about was the 15mpg (which wasn't even that bad!) I was being very safe and driving the 55mph speed limit cause it was my first tow with the 2012.

Old 05-02-2012, 11:52 PM   #6
I can find out the tongue weight from the trailer manufacturers but I'm not sure how that figures in to the safety calculations with respect to the truck?

My horse and his buddy are not very big, together they only weight about 1,800 lbs.

By the way, so far the people I've talk to at the Toyota dealership are not too well informed on this topic!
Old 05-03-2012, 12:54 AM   #8
jlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jen
jlvhrse's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to jlvhrse
I used to pull what i believe to be a 3,000lb trailer (2horse, steel) with two 1,000lb horses in it. I have a 2006 V6 with towing package. I also used a weight distributing system on my truck and trailer to help well, distribute the weight so it is not all directly on the tongue. I did not use electronic breaks (like i did with my 4runner) but was just careful to break early and did not encounter any problems.

yes my trailer was fugly but it was functional
Old 12-26-2013, 06:33 PM   #9
n00b
dARWiN is on a distinguished road
dARWiN's Tacoma Gallery
Single or double axel?

Does whether it has single or double axel come into factor here?

I have an '08 V-6 with tow package and have two options:

a 3500lb-4000lb aluminum 3-horse slant-load horse trailer (with electronic braking system) loaded with only one 900-lb horse and 400-lbs of hay, gear, etc,

-OR-

a single-axel 2000-lb(ish) steel 2-horse straight-load trailer, same loading of 900-lb horse and 400lbs of hay, gear, etc.

for some longer-distance trips, would most people agree with me that the lighter option (the smaller steel trailer) is the better option?
Old 12-26-2013, 06:40 PM   #10
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
Too small a truck for towing horses IMHO. Time for a Tundra.