1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2900# Travel Trailer Hitch Questions

Discussion in 'Towing' started by eyball, May 10, 2012.

1. May 10, 2012 at 6:08 PM
    eyball

eyball [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dudley, MA
    Vehicle:
    20 Double cab TRD Sport Voodoo Blue
    We are getting a 2900 pound dry weight KZ camper & will be towing with my 05 Tacoma V6 double cab with tow package. The RV dealer wants to sell me a $800 sway WDH hitch and $200 to install. This seams high to me...? I do all my own truck work and tow a boat already, is this something I can install? Do I even really need this with my truck? I know I need the brake controller, any suggestions on makes for that? I assume I am safe to at least get he trailer home without this hitch? It can be done on surface roads with no highway. Any input n this would be great. The bank won't finance the accessories from the dealer so having them install this really increases our down payment.

Thanks in advance.

2. May 11, 2012 at 3:28 AM
    Gregman

Gregman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Freddy Beach, NB
    Vehicle:
    05 DC LB 4x4 SR5
    Not that much weight. Try a regular hitch first to see how it tows. I wouldn't bother with a weight distribution hitch myself.

3. May 11, 2012 at 3:38 AM
    bigmooze

bigmooze Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Belle River, ON
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 access cab SR5
    Bilstein 5100's all round (0" up front with stock springs), 265/75/16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, K&N 63 Series Aircharger Kit, Flowmaster Super 44 Muffler, Delta Champion Toolbox, fog lights, back-up lights, Sirius satellite radio with PA15-TOY, Midland 1001z CB radio with 2' Firestik II antenna, Weathertech floor mats, AVS sill protectors, Marathon SuperHides Seatcovers (Universal Digital Camo), trimmed front mud flaps, Viair 20005 OBA, Warn W650D driving lights and W650F fog lights on N-Fab light bar, Hi-Lift X-treme jack with off road accessories, TracRac "TracONE" system
    I have a 16' KZ trailer. Originally, I didn't buy the WD hitch, but after installing one I wouldn't tow without it over any long distances. The WD hitch makes the towing thing a lot more comfortable. Before, I was using a regular adjustable height hitch and friction sway control.

What hitch is it? I have the 6000lb Equal-i-zer setup, which I installed myself in the driveway with basic hand tools. I borrowed a 1-7/8" socket from work to install the ball onto the "head" of the hitch.

4. May 11, 2012 at 3:53 AM
    6spdtaco

6spdtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    VT
    Vehicle:
    Taco
    Get a weight distribution hitch, but install it yourself. If the dealer installs it you won't know how it works anyways. They are designed to be adjusted as the load of the trailer changes. The empty trailer will have a different setting compared to when it is loaded up.
    Also get the brake controller. If you are wired for it, its just plug and go. If not I think there is a wiring write up on here somewhere.

5. May 11, 2012 at 4:05 AM
    eyball

Member:
    Dudley, MA
    Vehicle:
    I am not sure of the model for the hitch but it looked pretty beefy, almost overkill for the size trailer I am getting. It was a dual cam setup. I am going to call today and find out the make/model of the hitch and the brake controller they recommended. My truck is wired for the brake controller so thats a no brainer. I figure the hitch setup cant be that hard either. I have plenty of tools and even large sockets.

So any recomendations on what hitch I should buy or brake controller?

I should be fine to drive the 45 miles from the dealer to my house though right? Its state routes not interstate.

thanks for the feedback!

6. May 11, 2012 at 4:46 AM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    You have no frame hitch? They are pretty easy to install just nuts and bolts. The WD assembly just fits in the receiver and has brackets that bolt to the trailer frame. If it's duel axle you probably won't need a sway control keep about 12% trailer weight on the tongue. The WD hitch will help the rocking horse effect on rough roads. 3000# will tow fine with a V6 just be careful with the breaking prier to getting a brake controller it will be a hand full to stop at speed leave plenty of room.

7. May 11, 2012 at 4:50 AM
    eyball

Member:
    Dudley, MA
    Vehicle:
    I have the tow package so I have the class 4 hitch wiring and prewire for brake controll. I plan to hook up brake control before picking up the trailer. Just need to deside on WDH and sway control & what brake control to buy.

8. May 11, 2012 at 7:29 PM
    Whiskeyjack

Whiskeyjack Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Washington State
    Vehicle:
    '21 ORDC Cement
    Before I got my Tundra, I towed our RPod (18', and 3700 max wet) with our '06 Prerunner 4.0 double cab w/tow. Pretty similar to yours. With mine, a WDH was a pretty good addition. I didn't have the rear suspension TSB, so my Tacoma was pretty lightly sprung with only the 3 leaf rear spring. The WDH really helps firm things up while you're towing.

As far as a particular WDH, I've for about the last 20 years used the good, cheap, old school Camco EAZLift. One with 550lb spring bars would probably be about right for you, but 800 lb. ones would work, too. These run about $200-250 from Amazon including shipping. A friction sway control would add about $50. There are plenty of new technology WDH systems that also do a fine job, but many are more money--- $800 is a bit much unless it's a Hensley.

Human nature is such that everyone will recommend the brand that they're familiar with-that's what I just did. Any of the major brands of WDH, sized correctly will do you well. Most manufacturers have online sites that will walk you through the install. It is a good idea to do your setup with your trailer loaded and ready to travel. That way you're adjusting correctly and not just guessing like most RV dealers do, as most trailers don't come to them loaded.

P/S you can't go wrong with a Tekonsha P/2 or P/3 for your brake controller. I currently have the Tekonsha Voyager. It's OK and a little cheaper.

9. May 12, 2012 at 4:15 AM
    6spdtaco

6spdtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    VT
    Vehicle:
    Taco
    I also have a Tekonsha brake controller. (The cheap one) Works well.

10. May 12, 2012 at 5:48 AM
    CantSitStill

CantSitStill Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    FTR
    CNY
    I have always used a WD hitch for travel trailers. You may not NEED it, but the ride will be so much nicer, you'll feel more at ease and the trailer will be carrying the majority of its own weight so less wear and tear on your truck.
    I would install it yourself, and get one with the bars instead of the chain. I can't give you good reasons, I just believe they are beefier and work better.
    On the brake controller, I always used the cheapy Takonsha(?) and they worked fine for me. Just make sure to do all the setup steps as outlined in the in the instructions. The trailer should be doing all it's own braking. Your truck should only have to stop itself.

Good luck

11. May 19, 2012 at 7:32 AM
    eyball

Member:
    Dudley, MA
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for all the feedback guys. I ended up ordering a Reese trunnion bar WDH rated at 600# TW. I found it for a litte over $300 which my dealer could not even come close to matching. I held off on the dual cam sway bars for now. If I need them I can add them later for about $200. I also ordered the Tekonsha Primus brake controller. It was $75 on Amazon and my dealer wanted $109. I think this will end up being a good setup at least to start and I got both for a little over $400 incuding the plug and play harness for the brake controller. Dealer wanted about $700 plus $200 for installation.

Thanks again!

12. May 19, 2012 at 12:25 PM
    bigmooze

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Belle River, ON
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 access cab SR5
    Bilstein 5100's all round (0" up front with stock springs), 265/75/16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, K&N 63 Series Aircharger Kit, Flowmaster Super 44 Muffler, Delta Champion Toolbox, fog lights, back-up lights, Sirius satellite radio with PA15-TOY, Midland 1001z CB radio with 2' Firestik II antenna, Weathertech floor mats, AVS sill protectors, Marathon SuperHides Seatcovers (Universal Digital Camo), trimmed front mud flaps, Viair 20005 OBA, Warn W650D driving lights and W650F fog lights on N-Fab light bar, Hi-Lift X-treme jack with off road accessories, TracRac "TracONE" system
    Nice!

I've been loading my trailer up and getting the truck ready today. Leave for Waterville, PA tomorrow. It's about a 750 km one-way.

We'll see how the truck pulls for the longest trip yet. My trailer has a gross weight of 2800 lb. Should work just fine, I'm towing no more than 60% rated capacity.

13. May 20, 2012 at 7:55 AM
    eyball

Member:
    Dudley, MA
    Vehicle:
    Cool. Let me know how it goes. Do you just have the tow package or do you have a WDH? I am going to be about 3500# fully loaded not counting what's going in the truck.

14. May 20, 2012 at 7:25 PM
    bigmooze

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Belle River, ON
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 access cab SR5
    Overall I'm very impressed. I kept the truck in 4th gear the whole way. I counted 3 times that the tranny dropped out of overdrive on longer pulls. I could have prevented that too, by giving the girl some gas at the start of the hill. The tranny downshifted only once the whole way down, and that was because I gave some gas to pass on a hill.

I kept the speed to 60 mph.

I highly recommend the WDH. On some of the rougher sections of highway (Michigan and parts of Pennsylvania), the truck and trailer were bouncing around enough. Withouht the weight distribution, it would have been way worse.

No tow package on my 09 access cab V6, but she's good for 5000 lb according to the window sticker :D Trailer brakes are a must for that comfort level.

Have fun, just take it easy, you'll get there when you get there.

15. May 21, 2012 at 4:23 AM
    eyball

Member:
    Dudley, MA
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the update. Sounds like I should be all set then with the tow package & WDH to tow 3000-3500 pounds. Now I just need to take delivery of my camper so I can start camping!

Products Discussed in

To Top