1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Trans Cooler/ worried about problems with lines

Discussion in 'Towing' started by FLAJIM, May 27, 2012.

1. May 27, 2012 at 8:28 AM
    FLAJIM

FLAJIM [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Daytona Beach, Fl.
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner SR5 2WD
    ARE tonneau cover, Electric Pop & Lock tail gate, 2 lighter plugs in bed, Reese hitch/ factory wiring, OEM Bed Extender and fog lights.
    Hello All. I have a brand new 2012 PreRunner 2WD 4 cyl "AUTO" I plan on towing a Kendon MC trailer WT 400 LBS and my Harley Ultra which is under 1000 LBS so the total load would be < 1400 LBS. The dealer put on a class III hitch and 4 pin wiring.

My question/ I don't have a problem with adding a trans oil cooler for less that 100 dollars, my worry is for the lines to leak. I had one added to a car years ago/ I had nothing but problems with the lines.

Do i really need one ??? Second question, I read the "Towing Bible" how do I keep the trans out of overdrive ?? My truck is set up;
    P
    R
    N
    3 or D
    L

Do I just keep it in 3 ???

Thanks in advance Be Safe JIM

2. May 27, 2012 at 1:13 PM
    wolftree

wolftree Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4 Regular cab automatic trans,
    Rear Leaf TSB, Bilstein 5100s, extra leaf added
    Given your location, you will not be dealing with mountains, but serious heat. I would say yes to adding a transmission cooler. A good unit should give you no leaks anywhere. Most are saying now to come from the transmission, to the aux cooler then back to the radiator, finally returning to the transmission. This heats the fluid during winter months.

Yes, just place it "3" to hold it out of overdrive. You may find though that given your load, you can run in overdrive. Try it, as long as it is not constantly shifting up and down, run in it.

3. May 27, 2012 at 1:30 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    +1

The only difference between standard and "towing package" is the hitch/harness, provisions for electric brakes, and the trans cooler.

Also +1 on the trans.
    The 4-banger has only a 4-speed auto, so holding it in "3" will keep it out of overdrive, BUT, towing in overdrive is not a bad thing as long as the trans remains in one gear.

Heat is what kills your trans, and repeated clutch application during shifting generates heat. Some heat is produced in the torque convertor, but that is less of an issue on modern TC's that have a lockup clutch and effectively go into direct drive.

Try towing in "D". If the trans is not "hunting" for a gear (shifting back and forth between 3rd and OD), leave it in "D".
    If it starts shifting back and forth, then pop it into "3".

The fuel savings will be significant, especially if you are not towing a heavy trailer.

Products Discussed in

To Top