Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Trans Cooler/ worried about problems with lines

Old 05-27-2012, 08:28 AM   #1
FLAJIM has much to be proud ofFLAJIM has much to be proud ofFLAJIM has much to be proud ofFLAJIM has much to be proud ofFLAJIM has much to be proud ofFLAJIM has much to be proud ofFLAJIM has much to be proud ofFLAJIM has much to be proud ofFLAJIM has much to be proud ofFLAJIM has much to be proud of
Law Enforcement:
Name: Jim
FLAJIM's Tacoma Gallery
Trans Cooler/ worried about problems with lines

Hello All. I have a brand new 2012 PreRunner 2WD 4 cyl "AUTO" I plan on towing a Kendon MC trailer WT 400 LBS and my Harley Ultra which is under 1000 LBS so the total load would be < 1400 LBS. The dealer put on a class III hitch and 4 pin wiring.

My question/ I don't have a problem with adding a trans oil cooler for less that 100 dollars, my worry is for the lines to leak. I had one added to a car years ago/ I had nothing but problems with the lines.

Do i really need one ??? Second question, I read the "Towing Bible" how do I keep the trans out of overdrive ?? My truck is set up;
P
R
N
3 or D
L

Do I just keep it in 3 ???

Thanks in advance Be Safe JIM
Old 05-27-2012, 01:13 PM   #2
wolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Rick
wolftree's Tacoma Gallery
Given your location, you will not be dealing with mountains, but serious heat. I would say yes to adding a transmission cooler. A good unit should give you no leaks anywhere. Most are saying now to come from the transmission, to the aux cooler then back to the radiator, finally returning to the transmission. This heats the fluid during winter months.

Yes, just place it "3" to hold it out of overdrive. You may find though that given your load, you can run in overdrive. Try it, as long as it is not constantly shifting up and down, run in it.
Old 05-27-2012, 01:30 PM   #3
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolftree View Post
Given your location, you will not be dealing with mountains, but serious heat. I would say yes to adding a transmission cooler. A good unit should give you no leaks anywhere. Most are saying now to come from the transmission, to the aux cooler then back to the radiator, finally returning to the transmission. This heats the fluid during winter months.

Yes, just place it "3" to hold it out of overdrive. You may find though that given your load, you can run in overdrive. Try it, as long as it is not constantly shifting up and down, run in it.
+1

The only difference between standard and "towing package" is the hitch/harness, provisions for electric brakes, and the trans cooler.

Also +1 on the trans.
The 4-banger has only a 4-speed auto, so holding it in "3" will keep it out of overdrive, BUT, towing in overdrive is not a bad thing as long as the trans remains in one gear.

Heat is what kills your trans, and repeated clutch application during shifting generates heat. Some heat is produced in the torque convertor, but that is less of an issue on modern TC's that have a lockup clutch and effectively go into direct drive.

Try towing in "D". If the trans is not "hunting" for a gear (shifting back and forth between 3rd and OD), leave it in "D".
If it starts shifting back and forth, then pop it into "3".

The fuel savings will be significant, especially if you are not towing a heavy trailer.