Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Overload Shocks

Old 05-31-2012, 03:23 AM   #1
florida1007 is on a distinguished road
florida1007's Tacoma Gallery
Overload Shocks

2007 Toyota Tacoma, 2WD towing 2000# daily. Need recommendation on overload shocks. Manufacturer advice appreciated as well.
Old 05-31-2012, 03:28 AM   #2
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Timbrens or Firestone ride-rites.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:06 PM   #3
fvtalon is a jewel in the roughfvtalon is a jewel in the roughfvtalon is a jewel in the roughfvtalon is a jewel in the rough

Name: Mike
fvtalon's Tacoma Gallery
Are you looking for the shocks with air bags built into them?

If you're towing and hauling a lot (I do) I'd highly suggest the Firestone Ride-Rite airbags. They replace the bumpstop and are a no drill install on the second gen Tacomas. I can put a big load in the bed or a hook up a heavy trailer and level the truck out. Depending on how hard you pump them up you can get a fair bit of lift out of them too.

It's a better system then using a shock and shock mounts to carry the load. The shock is only supposed to control the axle movement, the spring carries the load. Shock mounts aren't meant for the extra forces that you'll get when you put a load carrying airbag there. The firestones mount between the axle and the frame and support the load properly.

They're about ~$290 and worth every penny. I use about a 12" long bike pump to inflate them or the compressor if I'm at home. The bike pump will add about 10psi in 20 pumps or so.
Old 06-02-2012, 04:35 AM   #4
Trying to Spread Common Sense and Rational Thought
tx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 1st Fast Co, Golf 2/4
Name: Zech (pronounced zak)
tx_shooter's Tacoma Gallery
I'll recommend the Firestones also. I use them on my Tacoma to haul my 4Runner around and they work great. The truck is much more stable with the Firestones than before. For normal driving around the truck also feels smoother now than before with the hard bottoming out the bump stops give you.
Old 06-02-2012, 01:48 PM   #5
gologit is on a distinguished road

Army: Medic...Air Cav  66-70
Name: Bob
Location: Up the hill from Grass Valley. Born and raised in northern Cal. Live and work in the Sierras.
gologit's Tacoma Gallery
Another vote for the Firestone air bags. They work exactly as advertised and, for what you get, they're worth every penny.