Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

My Towing Mirrors

Old 05-03-2010, 05:05 PM   #41
mossyduck is on a distinguished road
mossyduck's Tacoma Gallery
i went an ordered the mirrors an there sitting in my living room as we speak, im deffantly gonna do this job this weekend cause i cant see whats behind me when towing my 20' jet sled or when i have my cab over camper on
Old 05-25-2010, 07:23 AM   #42
StarGazer is on a distinguished road

Name: MegaMan!
StarGazer's Tacoma Gallery
What did you use to drill out part of the door frame? Also, I don't think I'm going to be able to do the countersink way as I'm not a mechanic and don't have all the tools that you have @ a shop (wish I did cause that sound like a better mounting).

Lynn
Old 06-03-2010, 07:33 PM   #43

O.K., I've been wanting to do this mod ever since I read it. So it's been over a month cause I had to wait for the mirrors to get in and to arrange for a long weekend (like Memorial Day) so my dad could help me. My dad being a double "E" (Electrical Engineer) and wanting the mod to be perfect in his eyes did it a little bit differently than 05silverTaco did. After buying the 3/8" semi truck mud flap (bought a larger size for just in case we screwed up on the first few cuttings) my dad wanted to use a much thinner material like 2.8 inches in thickness.

Template for gasket

Sealer and used as glue

Electrical box for spacer (cut off both sides)

What I used from the electrical box as a spacer

Spacer after cutting it to size

We cut this notch out for the electrical cable to fit behind the spacer

We added these washers for extra support for the spacer (not sure we needed the notch after adding them) but what's done is done

We kept the original connector on the door and cut off the connector on the dodge mirror and wired it to the other connector from my Taco

Color codes from Dodge mirror to the Taco door connector
My mirrors work just as if I never did a thing. Didn't connect heater cause we get very little snow and ice here in Frisco.

Half way through, did this to show size difference

Finally mounted (view one)

View two

View three

View four

View five

I wanted to fill this hole in (used piece of the 3/8" thick mud flap)

We wanted a finished look and no chance for water to get in

Well I hope I didn't forget anything on what we did. If any of you have any questions I'll try to answer them.

Lynn
Old 06-04-2010, 06:53 AM   #44
05silverTaco has a spectacular aura about05silverTaco has a spectacular aura about05silverTaco has a spectacular aura about
Marines: Cpl 105 Howitzer Btry
05silverTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Lynn,

Your mirror's came out great. Hope you like the versatility of them and enjoy the better size of the mirrors in everday use.
Mine still work like a champ and look like yours (something Toyota should have done).
Finaly someone brave enough to do this mod.

Vince
Old 01-16-2011, 04:48 PM   #45
jimc is on a distinguished road

Name: Jim
jimc's Tacoma Gallery
trim/adaptor plate question

If i read these posts correctly, the trim piece is about 1/8 inch thick, and the
spacer is 1/4 -right?? What would the ideal thickness be?
I work in a shop with CNC mill , and it looks like i could program these parts (or perhaps all in one from 3/8 stock)out of (King Starboard) black plastic.
http://www.kingstarboard.com/Products/starboard.aspx
This would give a perfect finished edge radius and pre drilled holes too.
Since I just bought a TT, i'm probably gonna do this mod, I'll see about the
material costs and if it's not too bad make a pile of these.
I'll keep u all posted.
Any interest??
Old 01-17-2011, 06:27 AM   #46

Sorry I don't remember much about the details anymore. I hope 05silverTaco will respond to your thread since I don't own the truck anymore. I now own a 2007.5 Dodge Ram 2500 Mega Cab 4x4 w/ a 6.7L Cummins. The only reason I saw this thread is I forgot to unsubscribe from this thread. Good luck!
Old 02-07-2011, 08:02 AM   #47
I'm Not Your F***ing Brother
Paul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Paul's TRD's Tacoma Gallery
subbed. Just ordered my toy hauler and haven't decided if I want to go this route or just get universal extensions. I like my stock whited painted mirrors.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:51 PM   #48
Oceanfisherman
campthewestcoast is on a distinguished road
campthewestcoast's Tacoma Gallery
Great mod, I was looking at doing this with; www.powervisionmirrors.com. But the cost of the mirrors were just too much. It's the mod I want to do since I tow a 21ft Hi-lo towlite travel trailer.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:33 PM   #49
lavoy is on a distinguished road
Name: lavoy
lavoy's Tacoma Gallery
2001 stANDARD CAB TACOMA

DO YOU THINK I COULD PUT THESE MIRRORS ON MY 2001 STANDARD CAB TACOMA?
THANKS, LAVOY
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05silverTaco View Post
Well guys I finished my towing mirrors so I decided to combine everything in this forum as most people intrested ((editted) will be towing.) in towing will be on this forum.
So here goes.
I went from this.

To this.

I first got this idea after looking at a lot of mirrors on different trucks and finding out Toyota does not have a decent tow mirror for our truck and niether does the aftermarket.

Well I got some information on these mirrors from this site.

http://www.elektro.com/~charlie/dodge/mirrors/

So I read up more and measured and found the base atachment point of these mirrors to be smaller than ours.

continued.
Old 09-04-2011, 01:49 PM   #50
Oceanfisherman
I've seen a number of different questions, would tundra mirrors work? I think not because the base is to large to mount to the door. The tool to use to trim out the inside metal of the door to mount the new mirror, would be a dremel rotoary tool or sheetmetal snips. What mirrors fit? Of course the Dodge fit, but also the older chevy ( 98-00) mirrors. The bases are small enough to fit the tacoma door. The chevy wiring isn't a problem, it's just the chevy mirror uses 2 common leads and the toyota mirror uses 1 common lead. You just connect all the common leads together. I'll look though the rest of this thread and see if there is any other questions. Stay tuned, I'll let you know what I did for towing mirrors!
Old 09-04-2011, 05:10 PM   #51
shawnd2 is a glorious beacon of lightshawnd2 is a glorious beacon of lightshawnd2 is a glorious beacon of lightshawnd2 is a glorious beacon of lightshawnd2 is a glorious beacon of lightshawnd2 is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Shawn
shawnd2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimc View Post
If i read these posts correctly, the trim piece is about 1/8 inch thick, and the
spacer is 1/4 -right?? What would the ideal thickness be?
I work in a shop with CNC mill , and it looks like i could program these parts (or perhaps all in one from 3/8 stock)out of (King Starboard) black plastic.
http://www.kingstarboard.com/Products/starboard.aspx
This would give a perfect finished edge radius and pre drilled holes too.
Since I just bought a TT, i'm probably gonna do this mod, I'll see about the
material costs and if it's not too bad make a pile of these.
I'll keep u all posted.
Any interest??
Hi,

Did you ever install the mirrors and make the trim piece?
I would love to have better mirrors, but making a trim piece is whats stopping me!

Shawn
Old 09-04-2011, 09:53 PM   #52
Oceanfisherman
I had some mirrors fall into my lap, doing a work/trade, I ended up with powervision mirrors from a 98 chevy. The base was small enough to be mounted my tacoma door. With the powervision mirrors, the mounting studs were movable to different locations. To mount them to the toyota door I just had to oval 2 of the 3 holes. I also cut a mud flap out for the filler trim and used a piece of 1/4" aluminum as a spacer on the outside of the door under the mud flap trim piece.I used the factory toyota mirror adjustment switch for the powervision mirrors. Because of the extension/retraction of the mirrors, I wired it into a seperate switch and got power from my power window circuit for this operation and I mounted it in a small encloser box so I didn't have to cut into my stock dash.
I wasn't able to down load pictures at this time( I need to get a new SD card reader). I also have a complete wiring diagram.
Old 09-05-2011, 01:43 AM   #53
jimc is on a distinguished road

Name: Jim
jimc's Tacoma Gallery
Nope, did not make the adaptors or install larger mirror set.
I ended up using CIPA 11960 clip on types, which are adequate for me, couldn't justify the CNC programming and material minimum cost to do this .
Old 09-08-2011, 08:01 AM   #54
jzicc86 is a glorious beacon of lightjzicc86 is a glorious beacon of lightjzicc86 is a glorious beacon of lightjzicc86 is a glorious beacon of lightjzicc86 is a glorious beacon of light
Name: jake
jzicc86's Tacoma Gallery
very nice i tow a 18 foot boat all the time and its like 97 inch wide plus trailer cant see shit in my mirrors this is a great idea good work
Old 02-02-2012, 06:19 PM   #55
kd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Henry
kd8bao's Tacoma Gallery
I installed my dodge mirrors about 2 months ago. I finally got around to wiring the mirrors in this past week. The yellow cheat sheet for the wiring was great. My driver was spot on but the pass was totally different but trial and error got it correct. I kept the factory switch for the mirror controll and bought an after market defroster relay kit. I think it was about 50 bucks. modified one of my knock outs and mounted the flat button to it. I will have pics up soon. The wiring was spot on, the button matches all directions. the gyro in the mirror is nice also. I am getting a new Travel trailer here at the end of march so i will have more pics then. thanks for the mod info to get me started. I hate stock mirrors on these trucks. I couldnt see with my old pop up behind me which is now for sale 3K. in the cleveland ohio area.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:25 AM   #56
kd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
kd8bao's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kd8bao View Post
I installed my dodge mirrors about 2 months ago. I finally got around to wiring the mirrors in this past week. The yellow cheat sheet for the wiring was great. My driver was spot on but the pass was totally different but trial and error got it correct. I kept the factory switch for the mirror controll and bought an after market defroster relay kit. I think it was about 50 bucks. modified one of my knock outs and mounted the flat button to it. I will have pics up soon. The wiring was spot on, the button matches all directions. the gyro in the mirror is nice also. I am getting a new Travel trailer here at the end of march so i will have more pics then. thanks for the mod info to get me started. I hate stock mirrors on these trucks. I couldnt see with my old pop up behind me which is now for sale 3K. in the cleveland ohio area.
Here are the pictures finished

and the switch for the defroster

Old 02-22-2012, 02:45 PM   #57
MyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
MyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
kd8bao, what is the defroster relay for?
Old 02-22-2012, 02:50 PM   #58
SOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Helicopter Pilot - RVN
SOSHeloPilot's Tacoma Gallery
. . . Nice towing mirrors you have . . . I have been looking for some cool "convex mirror stick ons or clips ons" for my OEM mirrors.

I miss the "tow split mirrors" (regular & convex) that I had on my Tundra .... Maybe the "Gen 3" Tacomas will have them.
Old 02-22-2012, 04:23 PM   #59

EMS:
kd8bao's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTaco View Post
kd8bao, what is the defroster relay for?
The dodge mirrors have defrosters built in.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:28 PM   #60
MyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
MyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kd8bao View Post
The dodge mirrors have defrosters built in.
Aah, ok dont need defrosters. So both mirrors work with the stock switch
like normal?