Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

My Towing Mirrors

Old 02-22-2012, 06:37 PM   #61
kd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Henry
kd8bao's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTaco View Post
Aah, ok dont need defrosters. So both mirrors work with the stock switch
like normal?
That's correct. Another guy figured out the wire matching. I think I am only the third person to do this mod. Or at least the third to post about it.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:47 AM   #62
MyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
MyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kd8bao View Post
That's correct. Another guy figured out the wire matching. I think I am only the third person to do this mod. Or at least the third to post about it.
Great thanks. Going to have to look in to doing this.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:41 PM   #63
milw156 will become famous soon enoughmilw156 will become famous soon enough
Name: P
milw156's Tacoma Gallery
I was wondering how the Silicone Gasket Maker is used. Do you seal the mirror to the mud flap, then the mud flap to the door? If so how did you do it so that it wouldn't be so messy?
Old 03-07-2012, 05:04 AM   #64
kd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
kd8bao's Tacoma Gallery
For mine I just used 1/4" aluminum and cut it to fit the dent on the door. Drilled out the hole locations and got some new bolts and fed from the inside. Then siliconed everything.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:04 PM   #65
milw156 will become famous soon enoughmilw156 will become famous soon enough
Name: P
milw156's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
For mine I just used 1/4" aluminum and cut it to fit the dent on the door. Drilled out the hole locations and got some new bolts and fed from the inside. Then siliconed everything.

Appreciate the assistance on this. I'm to the point where I'm dry-fitting the mirror, but for some reason I'm getting a gap in the middle. Did you guys do any sanding of the mirror base as I'm seeing a slight curvature.

The gap doesn't form until I've actually tightened the nuts up.

I knew it couldn't be this easy
Old 03-17-2012, 03:54 PM   #66

EMS:
kd8bao's Tacoma Gallery

New camper.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:30 AM   #67
webby is on a distinguished road
webby's Tacoma Gallery
I've been following this thread with great interest. Those who have done the mod, can you see around an 8' wide travel trailer?

I don't have a Taco, I have a 2008 4Runner. I know this is a Taco forum, but perchance does anyone here know if the mirrors and mounting on a 4th Generation 4Runner happen to be the same as the Taco? I have tried every kind of strap on mirror and am not happy with any of them. But I don't want to trade for a Tundra, as we are happy with the 4Runner for our driver and TV other than the mirrors (my travel trailer is only 21' long with dry weight of 3657 lbs).

Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 03-18-2012, 09:22 AM   #68
Oceanfisherman
campthewestcoast is on a distinguished road
campthewestcoast's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by webby View Post
I've been following this thread with great interest. Those who have done the mod, can you see around an 8' wide travel trailer?

I don't have a Taco, I have a 2008 4Runner. I know this is a Taco forum, but perchance does anyone here know if the mirrors and mounting on a 4th Generation 4Runner happen to be the same as the Taco? I have tried every kind of strap on mirror and am not happy with any of them. But I don't want to trade for a Tundra, as we are happy with the 4Runner for our driver and TV other than the mirrors (my travel trailer is only 21' long with dry weight of 3657 lbs).

I don't see why they wouldn't, just make sure the early dodge mirror base is smaller than your toyota mirror base. The same idea of mounting the mirrors should work on your 4runner. I pull a 22ft Hi-Lo travel trailer and installed Powervisionmirrors.com from a 98 chevy on my taco. I did a work/trade to get the mirrors. Compair the wiring diagrams of your 4runner mirror curcuit to what ever mirror you deside to use, the color code may be different.Here's a link to what I did http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f19/...-toyota-tacoma or http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...ors-for-tacoma
Old 03-18-2012, 01:15 PM   #69

EMS:
kd8bao's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Here is what you see in my mirrors

My Towing Mirrors-imageuploadedbytapatalk1332101715.272732.jpg
Old 03-18-2012, 06:07 PM   #70
MyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
MyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Here is what you see in my mirrors

Attachment 142959
What's the weight/length of that monster??
Old 03-18-2012, 08:25 PM   #71

EMS:
kd8bao's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTaco View Post
What's the weight/length of that monster??
It is a 27' box 8' wide 10'-7" tall. Trailer OAL 32' and a lite 5500 dry. Towed it with and with out WD hitch does good without for moving it around and still have 3/4" before bump stops. WD keeps it all level and pretty.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:22 PM   #72
MyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
It is a 27' box 8' wide 10'-7" tall. Trailer OAL 32' and a lite 5500 dry. Towed it with and with out WD hitch does good without for moving it around and still have 3/4" before bump stops. WD keeps it all level and pretty.
Very nice. I really have to look into this mod. The view from your mirrors if great.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:47 AM   #73
webby's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Can you tell me what years of Dodge Ram that particular mirror was on, and where you purchased yours?

Thanks!
Old 03-22-2012, 02:58 AM   #74

EMS:
kd8bao's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Can you tell me what years of Dodge Ram that particular mirror was on, and where you purchased yours?

Thanks!
http://www.speedycarparts.com/sku/Do...01_DG49EL.html

99-01 heated mirror. Less than 100 each
Old 03-22-2012, 04:46 AM   #75
webby's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
http://www.speedycarparts.com/sku/Do...01_DG49EL.html

99-01 heated mirror. Less than 100 each
Thanks. I get "Invalid Link" when clicking on that link.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:34 AM   #76

EMS:
kd8bao's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks. I get "Invalid Link" when clicking on that link.
Hmmmm. Well if you go to the root site and search for the mirrors they will be there.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:11 AM   #77
webby's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Hmmmm. Well if you go to the root site and search for the mirrors they will be there.
Ok, great, thanks. Appreciate it! I found it, for the Dodge Ram 2500, here:

http://www.speedycarparts.com/catalo...=tow%20mirrors

I have a small favor to ask. I don't have access to any Dodge trucks of that vintage ... Any of you forum members that has the Dodge mirrors in hand, and / or has done this mod, could you possibly measure the distance across the base of the mirror, plus the base to the very top distance? The reason is that I am researching if I can adapt these to a 4th Gen 4Runner, and I don't believe the base of the mirror shape of my 4Runner is identical to that of the Tacoma. My 4Runner mirror base is not pointed at the top. It is slightly clipped off, as you can see in the two pics below. However, I still am optimistic that it might be adaptable. Is it possible to clip off the pointy top of the Dodge mirror if that were the only issue to making it fit this truck?

Below are two pics of my OEM 4Runner driver-side mirror. The height is about 7 1/4 to 7 3/8", width is 5 1/4", and the clipped off top is 1 1/8" wide. For those who have done this mod, any and all opinions and comments on the possibility of adapting the mirrors to the 4th Gen Toyota 4Runner piced and described, would be greatly appreciated!

image upload

hosting images
Old 11-14-2012, 11:05 PM   #78
wildhare is on a distinguished road
wildhare's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Ok, great, thanks. Appreciate it! I found it, for the Dodge Ram 2500, here:

http://www.speedycarparts.com/catalo...=tow%20mirrors

I have a small favor to ask. I don't have access to any Dodge trucks of that vintage ... Any of you forum members that has the Dodge mirrors in hand, and / or has done this mod, could you possibly measure the distance across the base of the mirror, plus the base to the very top distance? The reason is that I am researching if I can adapt these to a 4th Gen 4Runner, and I don't believe the base of the mirror shape of my 4Runner is identical to that of the Tacoma. My 4Runner mirror base is not pointed at the top. It is slightly clipped off, as you can see in the two pics below. However, I still am optimistic that it might be adaptable. Is it possible to clip off the pointy top of the Dodge mirror if that were the only issue to making it fit this truck?

Below are two pics of my OEM 4Runner driver-side mirror. The height is about 7 1/4 to 7 3/8", width is 5 1/4", and the clipped off top is 1 1/8" wide. For those who have done this mod, any and all opinions and comments on the possibility of adapting the mirrors to the 4th Gen Toyota 4Runner piced and described, would be greatly appreciated!

So, any luck with the mod on the 4Runner? I'm considering the same thing.

Thanks!

-Dan
Old 11-15-2012, 03:48 AM   #79
webby's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhare View Post
So, any luck with the mod on the 4Runner? I'm considering the same thing.

Thanks!

-Dan
The base on the Taco mirrors is larger than the mirror base on the 4Runner. It is my considered opinion that this mod therefore isn't workable on the 4Runner.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:58 AM   #80
05silverTaco has a spectacular aura about05silverTaco has a spectacular aura about05silverTaco has a spectacular aura about
Marines: Cpl 105 Howitzer Btry
05silverTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry did not see this posting. Will check measurements tonight after work and get back to you.

vince