Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

transmission cooler questions

Old 06-01-2012, 07:13 PM   #1
bryntowin is on a distinguished road
bryntowin's Tacoma Gallery
transmission cooler questions

getting ready to do some towing i have a 04 v-6 toyota will be towing a tent trialer that weighs 3200# dry and 4000# gross i already got the hitch and wiring with brake controller installed

i bought a tranny cooler from etrailer and am wondering if i should install it or not i live in area that has mountains but also gets very cold in the winter i have read that it would be better to install the hoses so that it comes from the transmission thru the after market cooler then back to the radiator to warm it then back to the transmission i guess the other way around will cool my tranny too much in the winter

my question is is it even worth installing the after market cooler when i have it routed to just warm the fluid up agian seems to me that it is not going to cool it that much and will not be that much different then how it is set up stock?
Old 06-02-2012, 11:44 AM   #2
well i ended up installing it transmission to after market to radiator back to tranny i think it will keep it from gettting too hot and also too cold i will see how it goes wasnt too bad took a couple hours i didnt like the zip tie deal but that is what i ended up doing my radiator and ac already are smashed cant believe they dont leak i got all my projects done and am ready to tow headed out on monday
Old 06-02-2012, 04:58 PM   #3
anybody with a temp gauge done it both ways?
what i should of done is installed a bybass ran it thru the summer then shut it of in the winter but i couldnt find one and have no patience
Old 06-02-2012, 05:23 PM   #4
bobjeeps is on a distinguished road
Name: Bob
bobjeeps's Tacoma Gallery
cooling

At least if you ran it before the radiator. The engine would have brought it up to the correct temp when going back into the transmission. Thus helping the engine get rid of some heat. If the fluid is too cold the way you have it. Now it goes back in cold, in the transmission. The radiator can't warm it up. In other words you should have installed it before it went into the radiator.
Old 06-02-2012, 07:16 PM   #5
RideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to behold

Name: Jesse
RideFast's Tacoma Gallery
Are you sure your truck didn't already have one? My truck and 4runner came with a tranny and engine oil cooler.
Old 06-02-2012, 07:39 PM   #7
ya i looked into that but my truck didnt come with one the only thing it came with was a 4 wire with fuses for the lights and a class 3 hitch its an 04 double cab with off road package