Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Taco Towing

Old 06-04-2012, 12:13 PM   #1
Stinkweed Pete is on a distinguished road
Stinkweed Pete's Tacoma Gallery
Taco Towing

Hey all...

I'm new to this site and it was suggested by another member that I repost this thread to the towing forum as I was told "They really know their stuff"

Thanks.

Quote:
Hey all...

I love that you all call the most bad-ass truck on the face of the Earth a "Taco". I never thought of that, but it's totally awesome.

I've owned 4 "Tacos" total... different forms since 1993.

First was a little, metallic blue, '90, 4x4, "Big 4" which went under 70 mph to over 200,000 miles before I sold it to a ridiculously excited 17-year-old.

The second was another 4x4 single cab, silver this time; same manual transmission, almost the same "Big 4", but with the new, curvy style.

I had it for a total of four days (458 miles) before I wrecked it, head-on, 60+mph, on the highway.

Not my fault, and that new Taco saved my life... I got messed up feet now, but I lived. (I've got pictures of the smashed up truck but they're too sad and traumatic to share with you Tacoma-loving folks.)

When I could drive again I bought another silver Taco... Extra-cab this time, I think it was a 2003... the first year that the front grill had vertical, black pillars.

That one lasted me a flawless 5 years... had to trade it in at 70,245 miles for a double-cab because of kid #2.

I didn't mind the upgrade, although the new one (an '08, 4x4 V6 Sport) is the only one in which I've ever been stuck to the point at which I needed a shove or tow. (I blame it on the lack of tread on the tires that come standard in the "Sport Package"... I upgraded to some better tread.)

The only reason I signed up and posted my story on this forum is because I came across the Tacoma "Towing Bible" through an internet search.

It was great... Lots of awesome info.

As a newbie to big towing but a vet to Tacos... I could use some help.

We have a pop-up camper that I have towed many times with no real issues.

My 2008 V6 has an aftermarket brake controller and a factory towing package.

I am seeing most forums listing the max tow capacity at 6500 lbs.

The pop-up is far less than that but we are considering an upgrade to a large travel trailer that will probably come in at about 6000 loaded and ready to camp.

I donít know a ton about towing except that it does seem to mess with the performance of this smaller truck much more than it does with my brother-in-lawís Silverado or my dadís Expedition.

Iím getting a stabilizer rig installed, but I fear I may be pushing the limits of my Taco.

Anyone out there towing something fairly large? 26 ft. Travel Trailer?

Any other measures I can/should take to make the haul a little safer?

Thanks for the input... Never knew there was a place to praise Tacomas; but Iím glad there is one.

Pete
Old 06-05-2012, 06:43 PM   #2
kar1025 is on a distinguished road
kar1025's Tacoma Gallery
i am towing a 26 ft wildwood extra lite and have had no problems. my loaded trailer weight is 5800 lbs. i have and equalizer hitch and brake controller. no issues with sway what so ever. fuel milage was cut in half but other than that no complaints
Old 06-07-2012, 12:50 AM   #3
Awesome... Thank you... I'm getting an E2 Stabilizer installed on the trailer.

I checked out some of the stuff other people have towed with their Tacos and I'm gaining confidence about towing such a large trailer.

I appreciate your input kar1025... Maybe I'll even post a picture for you once we take delivery on the new Forest River Patriot Edition 26BH.

Quite an upgrade from the pop-up we've been using for the last 4 years.

Thanks again for the confidence.

Pete
Old 06-07-2012, 12:18 PM   #4
Member Caught Off Road
AWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
AWorthyOpponent's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkweed Pete View Post
Awesome... Thank you... I'm getting an E2 Stabilizer installed on the trailer.

I checked out some of the stuff other people have towed with their Tacos and I'm gaining confidence about towing such a large trailer.

I appreciate your input kar1025... Maybe I'll even post a picture for you once we take delivery on the new Forest River Patriot Edition 26BH.

Quite an upgrade from the pop-up we've been using for the last 4 years.

Thanks again for the confidence.

Pete
Glad you got your answer here. We defiantly want to see pictures and hear about the experience.

I just saw your other post about beefing up the rear suspension, and I think that's a good idea. Make sure you have a brake controller first. That is absolutely necessary if you're pulling that kind of weight. Look into air bags for the rear. It will allow you to beef up the rear when towing the trailer, but keep a good ride when not towing the trailer.

That's my 0.02, but I think you'll be fine with that...
Old 06-07-2012, 12:29 PM   #5
hookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
hookedontronics's Tacoma Gallery
I've towed a couple of cars and loaded dump trailers and here is my advice;

The truck is rated to tow 6500lb, BUT it will lag in power, you will get about 8MPG and it doesn't handle it well. It's a good truck for the occasional large towing job, but if you are planning on anything regular i would get a larger truck. A honda s2000 on a light uhaul trailer (the flatbed type) isn't a big feat but it is for a tacoma sadly and that's about 5000lb max
Old 06-07-2012, 12:41 PM   #6
Member Caught Off Road
AWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookedontronics View Post
I've towed a couple of cars and loaded dump trailers and here is my advice;

The truck is rated to tow 6500lb, BUT it will lag in power, you will get about 8MPG and it doesn't handle it well. It's a good truck for the occasional large towing job, but if you are planning on anything regular i would get a larger truck. A honda s2000 on a light uhaul trailer (the flatbed type) isn't a big feat but it is for a tacoma sadly and that's about 5000lb max
Yeah, but you have to admit, the usual U-Haul trailers are excessively heavy and poorly maintained...it would at least be a little better with a well maintained trailer...
Old 06-07-2012, 06:24 PM   #7
kar1025 is on a distinguished road
kar1025's Tacoma Gallery
my fuel milage when towing is 10 to10.8 mpg. i too read alot on here and started to get paranoid reading everything. i finally said if the engineers at toyta say it can pull 6500 lbs why do people say it can only pull maybe 5000. you will be fine, get your brake controller,sway controll and don't drive like an idiot and you will be fine.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:57 PM   #8
sechsgang will become famous soon enough
sechsgang's Tacoma Gallery
You'll be limited by your payload, and maybe tongue weight. You have two kids, so I am assuming 4 people in the truck. It is almost a sure thing that you'll be over the rating when you are ready for camping.
Besides that, the short wheel base of the Tacoma is not made for very long travel trailer towing. A wind gust from the side and that trailer will take control.
I personally think that you will not be happy with that setup, and that it is not safe.
Old 06-12-2012, 03:22 PM   #9
Thanks for the input folks... and sorry sechsgang... too late. We already bought the trailer... I've done all I can do to make it the safest towing situation possible... and now, all that's left is to tow that big sucker off the lot and see what happens.

I'll spend a year or so making shorter trips to see how the Taco handles everything... If it's all good; it's all good... If it's not; Tundra.

Thanks again everyone... I'll post some pics when I can... Did I mention I'm throwing in a canoe on top too?.. If you see me, may want to keep your distance

Pete
Old 06-12-2012, 04:20 PM   #10
tractng is on a distinguished road
tractng's Tacoma Gallery
Post pics guy. I want to upgrade my small trailer 14"9 ft to 22 ft.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:38 PM   #11
Quote:
Thanks for the input folks... and sorry sechsgang... too late. We already bought the trailer... I've done all I can do to make it the safest towing situation possible... and now, all that's left is to tow that big sucker off the lot and see what happens.

I'll spend a year or so making shorter trips to see how the Taco handles everything... If it's all good; it's all good... If it's not; Tundra.

Thanks again everyone... I'll post some pics when I can... Did I mention I'm throwing in a canoe on top too?.. If you see me, may want to keep your distance

Pete
The Tundra would probably be over the limit as well, it buys you not even 150 lbs in extra payload over the Taco I think.
Yeah, show us some pics.
I've been there, done that, and ended up with a half ton after three camping trips. Thought I can help you avoid that.
But people also have a different tolerance level when it comes to adventure white knuckle towing. I just didn't want to do that with my family in the vehicle.

If that trailer really comes in at 6K lbs (most of the time it's more than what people guess), you have a canoe on top of the truck and 4 people inside, you'll be over pretty much any and all ratings (axle, GVWR, GCWR). Be careful to not get into a crash that way.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:38 AM   #12
tractng's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sechsgang View Post
The Tundra would probably be over the limit as well, it buys you not even 150 lbs in extra payload over the Taco I think.
Yeah, show us some pics.
I've been there, done that, and ended up with a half ton after three camping trips. Thought I can help you avoid that.
But people also have a different tolerance level when it comes to adventure white knuckle towing. I just didn't want to do that with my family in the vehicle.

If that trailer really comes in at 6K lbs (most of the time it's more than what people guess), you have a canoe on top of the truck and 4 people inside, you'll be over pretty much any and all ratings (axle, GVWR, GCWR). Be careful to not get into a crash that way.

Today I saw (in calif is illegal) this guy pulling a large 5th wheel travel trailer and a large boat behind it.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:09 AM   #13
codyb1 is on a distinguished road

Name: Cody
codyb1's Tacoma Gallery
This is what I tow. 19ft Star Stream 4100lbs and a 750lbs four wheeler. I have a equalizer hitch with firestone ride rite airbags.

Old 06-13-2012, 11:30 AM   #14
tractng's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by codyb1 View Post
This is what I tow. 19ft Star Stream 4100lbs and a 750lbs four wheeler. I have a equalizer hitch with firestone ride rite airbags.

Nice toys you have. Is that a short or long bed?
Old 06-13-2012, 11:41 AM   #15
MAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MAXTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractng View Post
Nice toys you have. Is that a short or long bed?
Long
Old 06-13-2012, 09:08 PM   #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by codyb1 View Post

Interesting looking trailer!
By how much do you think you are over your rear axle weight rating, and the GVWR of the truck? Is it a prerunner?
I would take this rig to the scales before you go camping next time, just to know.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:51 PM   #17
codyb1 is on a distinguished road

Name: Cody
codyb1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sechsgang View Post
Interesting looking trailer!
By how much do you think you are over your rear axle weight rating, and the GVWR of the truck? Is it a prerunner?
I would take this rig to the scales before you go camping next time, just to know.

Long Bed and Its a 4x4. Not too worried about it, I usually only pull one or the other when i go. I definitely know when they are both back there. Still does pretty well for a V6.
Old 06-19-2012, 02:19 AM   #18
I love the confidence and apprehensiveness out there.

It means the Taco can do it... It'll just do it like a Taco.

Here's a pic of the current "Tow Package".

Picking up the 26 footer tomorrow.

I'll let you all know how it goes and post a pic or two.

Thanks again for the input.

Awesome online community.

Long live the Taco.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Taco Towing-imag0181.jpg  
Old 06-19-2012, 09:04 PM   #19
ecupcar is on a distinguished road

ecupcar's Tacoma Gallery
Good luck, all good advice here. I am considering going to a hybrid soon that is heavier than my popup, but a bigger concern is the wind drag. Please keep us posted.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:44 AM   #20
Member Caught Off Road

Quote:
...Picking up the 26 footer tomorrow.

I'll let you all know how it goes and post a pic or two...

Pete
Well, Where are the pics???