Notices

Modified gooseneck & 19' Scamp

Old 06-06-2012, 06:47 PM   #1
huachuca is on a distinguished road
Army: Sgt E5 69-70 STRATCOM
Name: Al
huachuca's Tacoma Gallery
Modified gooseneck & 19' Scamp

New to the group but have already picked up lots of good info - thanks to all.

Hope a few pics of my camping setup might be of interest since the prevailing thought seems to be you can't/shouldn't consider any sort of fifth wheel or gooseneck a second gen Tacoma.

We've put well over 10K miles with this combo in the past year - NC to Big Bend NP in Texas, to St Aug and the Fl Keys and across NC from the Outer Banks to boondocking trips to Nantahala NF and the Smokies.

Most of the materials were scraps from around the shop. The uprights are from 1/4" plate and bolt to the 3/8" x 6" x 60" flatstock which has holes drilled to match up with the stock bed bolts. The cross member is 3" x 3/8" channel with a 2" ball. Washers were used to shim the gap between the flatstock and the composite bed. Brake assist comes from a Prodigy controller.

Hatteras to Ocracoke ferry on the NC Outer Banks

Weight is well within spec - the Scamp grosses 3200 or so with about 400 lbs on the gooseneck. The Honda EU3000 genset (160 lbs) fits nicely in front of the hitch cross member which is a couple of inches behind the axle to provide sufficient cab to camper clearance in a 90 degree turn but that has not been a problem.

The 05 which served faithfully for 200K+ was recently replaced with a 2012 Pyrite Mica TRD and it took about 30 minutes to swap the hitch and brake controller.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:50 PM   #2
kd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Henry
kd8bao's Tacoma Gallery
That is awesome. You need to post this in "show what you tow" section. Congrats on the gooseneck. Very jealous. 😁
Old 08-28-2013, 04:50 AM   #3
edjake21 is on a distinguished road

Air Force:
Name: Eric
edjake21's Tacoma Gallery
huachuca,

Now that you've had that Scamp 19 for awhile...any reviews? I'm looking at some camper options that I can realistically tow with my long bed double cab (w/ tow option). Do you have the standard or deluxe trim? Can 2 adults and 3 kids realistically sleep in that things in your opinion?
Old 08-28-2013, 07:47 AM   #4
huachuca is on a distinguished road
Army: Sgt E5 69-70 STRATCOM
Name: Al
huachuca's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by edjake21 View Post
huachuca,

Now that you've had that Scamp 19 for awhile...any reviews? I'm looking at some camper options that I can realistically tow with my long bed double cab (w/ tow option). Do you have the standard or deluxe trim? Can 2 adults and 3 kids realistically sleep in that things in your opinion?

We've had Scamps for about ten years now; first a 16' side bath standard model and now the 19' deluxe fiver. Before that, we were tent campers and backpackers so I don't really have experience with other camper models. However, I do have friends who have or had various models from Class A's to popups and I wouldn't trade either of the Scamps for any of them IF I had to use them as campers.

I think the double cab Tacoma is a great choice for the Scamp fifth wheel. We put 200,000+ miles on the 05 Tacoma with twenty percent of more towing and had zero problems. The 2012 that replaced it is just as good.

As to sleeping two adults and three kids, the adults will be fine in the loft bed. The current Scamp website shows only front bath models in the 19'er but I've seen older units with a side bath and a bunk/couch in the front below the loft. With the rear dinette/bed sleeping two and another on the front bunk, I don't see why this wouldn't work. If you're thinking of buying new, Scamp has a reputation of working with the customer to modify as necessary - give em a call.

If you have questions, I'll be glad to offer my thoughts.

Al
Old 08-29-2013, 03:39 AM   #5
edjake21 is on a distinguished road

Air Force:
Name: Eric
edjake21's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks so much for the info. Definitely something I'll look at once I get back to the mainland.