1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

towing the right travel trailer

Discussion in 'Towing' started by otto tacoma, Jun 7, 2012.

1. Jun 7, 2012 at 2:58 PM
    otto tacoma

otto tacoma [OP] New Member

Member:
    theflyingfive@yahoo.com
    Vehicle:
    gray 2011 dc trd sport
    Ihave toyto tacoma 2011 db v6 short bed with tow package.show me some trailer that would be right for my truck to pull. small to large.In need to know what is max loaded trailer weight.

2. Jun 14, 2012 at 1:48 PM
    rootie3

rootie3 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    Port Angeles,Wa
    Vehicle:
    '96 sr5 4x4
    hey, otto....
    i've got a '96 3.4l xtra cab with tow package and 156,000 miles on it i live in wa state and just bought a 19' thor hybrid in reno last month while visiting family there. got tired of cranking up the tent trailer to get inside. with the hybrid i can access all the amenities except the beds by just opening the door (although the couch and dinette do fold down, too). anyway, the trailer is 3300# dry and about 9' tall. we were , i'm guessing, 3700# on the way back home.... not knowing how the yota would tow this weight i kept only 10G or so of water and 5G propane on board to keep it as light as possible . i avg. 11.8 mpg with most of the driving at 4500-5500' elevation. speed was 55-62 mph, 50 up the passes, overdrive off except on down grades. it's a far cry from 21-22 mpg at 70-85mph but, hey, i'm happy.... and surprised with the trk!!! the temp gauge never moved one iota and none of the idiot lights ever came on. i was thinking of moving up to a tundra but don't know if that's necessary now. see how it tows with another 1000# first.
    hope this helps.... larry

3. Jun 16, 2012 at 9:37 AM
    campthewestcoast

campthewestcoast Oceanfisherman

Member:
    Napa, CA
    Power extend/retract towing mirrors,brake controller,30amp charging system for TT,snug top camper
    I would not tow more than a 4,000lb travel trailer. The truck is rated a 6500lbs, with people and gear you won't be over the limit.
    This is what I tow,
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/towing/206549-hi-lo-trail-manor-type-travel-trailer.html
    Picture of my rig, check out my custom towing mirrors I installed on the truck
    Go to this towing forum, "show us what you tow" on page 54
    Post # 1075 & # 1077
    Other people have towed heavier and larger trailers, but the style and being at 22ft long I can get into smaller california state campgrounds.

4. Jun 16, 2012 at 9:49 AM
    sechsgang

sechsgang Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD OR 4WD 6spd
    What's really limiting you when talking about travel trailers is the payload, not towing capacity. The Tundra adds maybe 150 lbs of that - not worth the cost of the switch IMO.

5. Jun 16, 2012 at 9:52 AM
    sechsgang

sechsgang Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD OR 4WD 6spd
    There is something wrong with the links.
    Also, the max towing weight depends heavily on the trailers tongue weight, and what else is carried in the tow vehicle (incl. the number of people).
    4K lbs is a good rule of thumb though, I agree.

6. Jun 16, 2012 at 10:50 AM
    campthewestcoast

campthewestcoast Oceanfisherman

Member:
    Napa, CA
    Power extend/retract towing mirrors,brake controller,30amp charging system for TT,snug top camper
    I modified my previous post with a better link address. I have an 06 22ft hi-lo towlite.Pictures of my rig are on "show us what you tow" under this towing thread, page 54, #1075&#1077. The towing mirrors are electric glass adjustment and extend/retract

Products Discussed in

To Top