1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TT Advice Please

Discussion in 'Towing' started by Gritesh, Jun 16, 2012.

1. Jun 16, 2012 at 6:17 PM
    Gritesh

Gritesh [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Me and my wife are looking into possibly getting a travel trailer so that we can enjoy the camping season a bit more, and we are soon thinking about starting a family.

We went to a few dealerships today to do some looking and found one that we really like, of course the dealer said that my set-up would work fine, however I have my doubts.

I have a 2011 DC LB 4X4 automatic TRD Sport Package.
    I know the towing capacity is 6500lbs, but I am looking for a "safe" tow.

The two trailers we picked out that we liked are as follows

1. Surveyor SV-235, with a Dry Weight of 4201lbs, and a hitch weight of 481lbs. The trailer is also 25' long.

2. Surveyor SP-230, with a Dry Weight of 3555 lbs, and a hitch weight of 398lbs. This trailer is also 25' long.

I am aware of the needed brake controller, and the WD hitch, amongst other things.

Most of the towing, if not all will be down the highways and then gravel roads to local lakes.

I REALLY like option #1 as it has more interior room due to the pop-out, but it also weighs in at 700 pounds more due to that pop-out.

Option 2 is kind of a fallback if option 1 would not work.

Also the trailers are duel axel trailers to help with weight distribution, not sure if this means anything.

Thanks in advance guys.

2. Jun 16, 2012 at 7:10 PM
    Gritesh

Gritesh [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    That's one thing that I really liked about the Surveryor's that we picked out, they sit a little bit lower to the ground than most of the other ones we looked at, and they seem to offer a bit more in terms of aero dynamics especially factoring that it's being tucked behind a Tacoma, not a 3500hd

3. Jun 16, 2012 at 10:07 PM
    campthewestcoast

campthewestcoast Oceanfisherman

Member:
    Napa, CA
    Power extend/retract towing mirrors,brake controller,30amp charging system for TT,snug top camper
    Pick option 1, I'm towing that wieght and don't seem to have any problems.
    The one thing I do is don't tow with fresh water in the tank, If I don't have hook-ups at the campsite I fill up with fresh water at the campground before disconnecting the trailer at the campsite. I also pack about 150' of drinking water hose so I can refill from a water faucet without moving the trailer.

4. Jun 16, 2012 at 10:42 PM
    tractng

tractng Well-Known Member

Member:
    Very nice choice of trailers. I think you should be fine. Just don't drive crazy fast. Myself, I am looking to upgrade to a Salem 22 ft trailer (currently has a funfinder x139).

Products Discussed in

To Top