Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

TT Advice Please

Old 06-16-2012, 07:17 PM   #1
Gritesh is on a distinguished road
Gritesh's Tacoma Gallery
TT Advice Please

Me and my wife are looking into possibly getting a travel trailer so that we can enjoy the camping season a bit more, and we are soon thinking about starting a family.

We went to a few dealerships today to do some looking and found one that we really like, of course the dealer said that my set-up would work fine, however I have my doubts.

I have a 2011 DC LB 4X4 automatic TRD Sport Package.
I know the towing capacity is 6500lbs, but I am looking for a "safe" tow.

The two trailers we picked out that we liked are as follows

1. Surveyor SV-235, with a Dry Weight of 4201lbs, and a hitch weight of 481lbs. The trailer is also 25' long.

2. Surveyor SP-230, with a Dry Weight of 3555 lbs, and a hitch weight of 398lbs. This trailer is also 25' long.

I am aware of the needed brake controller, and the WD hitch, amongst other things.

Most of the towing, if not all will be down the highways and then gravel roads to local lakes.

I REALLY like option #1 as it has more interior room due to the pop-out, but it also weighs in at 700 pounds more due to that pop-out.

Option 2 is kind of a fallback if option 1 would not work.

Also the trailers are duel axel trailers to help with weight distribution, not sure if this means anything.

Thanks in advance guys.
Old 06-16-2012, 07:33 PM   #2
Cypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 2A773 Retired
Cypherian's Tacoma Gallery
Based on the old school 80% of the vehicles tow weight you may want to stick with the SV 230 I looked at the spec' s if you fill the SV-235 with 4201 dry add 288 lbs for potable water and then what ever else you are going to put in plates, food etc etc . You would be real close to the 80% at 5200 lbs. I am in the market also but from everything I have researched it comes down to what are you comfortable with personally I am going with an 19' Air Stream next year it' size and aero dynamics and resale if I decide I don't like RVing that much is better atleast here in the states.

You will get a lot of thoughts and opinions here and I believe you can find a thread on towing if you search. Good Luck

Cypher
Old 06-16-2012, 08:10 PM   #3
Gritesh is on a distinguished road
Gritesh's Tacoma Gallery
That's one thing that I really liked about the Surveryor's that we picked out, they sit a little bit lower to the ground than most of the other ones we looked at, and they seem to offer a bit more in terms of aero dynamics especially factoring that it's being tucked behind a Tacoma, not a 3500hd
Old 06-16-2012, 11:07 PM   #4
Oceanfisherman
campthewestcoast is on a distinguished road
campthewestcoast's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gritesh View Post
Me and my wife are looking into possibly getting a travel trailer so that we can enjoy the camping season a bit more, and we are soon thinking about starting a family.

We went to a few dealerships today to do some looking and found one that we really like, of course the dealer said that my set-up would work fine, however I have my doubts.

I have a 2011 DC LB 4X4 automatic TRD Sport Package.
I know the towing capacity is 6500lbs, but I am looking for a "safe" tow.

The two trailers we picked out that we liked are as follows

1. Surveyor SV-235, with a Dry Weight of 4201lbs, and a hitch weight of 481lbs. The trailer is also 25' long.

2. Surveyor SP-230, with a Dry Weight of 3555 lbs, and a hitch weight of 398lbs. This trailer is also 25' long.

I am aware of the needed brake controller, and the WD hitch, amongst other things.

Most of the towing, if not all will be down the highways and then gravel roads to local lakes.

I REALLY like option #1 as it has more interior room due to the pop-out, but it also weighs in at 700 pounds more due to that pop-out.

Option 2 is kind of a fallback if option 1 would not work.

Also the trailers are duel axel trailers to help with weight distribution, not sure if this means anything.

Thanks in advance guys.
Pick option 1, I'm towing that wieght and don't seem to have any problems.
The one thing I do is don't tow with fresh water in the tank, If I don't have hook-ups at the campsite I fill up with fresh water at the campground before disconnecting the trailer at the campsite. I also pack about 150' of drinking water hose so I can refill from a water faucet without moving the trailer.
Old 06-16-2012, 11:42 PM   #5
tractng is on a distinguished road
tractng's Tacoma Gallery
Very nice choice of trailers. I think you should be fine. Just don't drive crazy fast. Myself, I am looking to upgrade to a Salem 22 ft trailer (currently has a funfinder x139).