Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

What is the farthest you have towed a travel trailer

Old 06-20-2012, 10:15 AM   #1
tractng is on a distinguished road
tractng's Tacoma Gallery
What is the farthest you have towed a travel trailer

Hello,

Thinking about driving to Ohio from California to visit "America". I always want to do such a trip.

Anyways, I am thinking of buying a travel trailer while I am there, price there is like 7k cheaper (in calif everything is expensive). Probably its going to be 22 feet overall and around 3500 lbs.

Currently I owned a 15 feet travel trailer about 2500lbs dry weight.

Whats the farthest you guys towed and the weight?

Btw, my Taco is a DCSB 2012 V6 with tow package.

Thanks for reading.
tntrac
Old 06-20-2012, 01:20 PM   #2
scottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scottri's Tacoma Gallery
I have a '19 foot Wildwood Travel Trailer. It's 7 1/2 feet wide instead of the standard 8', unloaded it weighs 3800, loaded it weighs 4250. It's 24' long over all. I've towed it about 150 miles one way over mountain passes with no trouble. I wouldn't do it without a weight distribution hitch and anti sway control.
Old 06-20-2012, 01:31 PM   #3
tractng is on a distinguished road
tractng's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottri View Post
I have a '19 foot Wildwood Travel Trailer. It's 7 1/2 feet wide instead of the standard 8', unloaded it weighs 3800, loaded it weighs 4250. It's 24' long over all. I've towed it about 150 miles one way over mountain passes with no trouble. I wouldn't do it without a weight distribution hitch and anti sway control.

Can those be installed really quick? I am handy but don't know what I would do without my tools from the garage.

Is your a long or short bed?
Old 06-21-2012, 05:39 AM   #4
RightYouAreKen has a brilliant futureRightYouAreKen has a brilliant futureRightYouAreKen has a brilliant futureRightYouAreKen has a brilliant futureRightYouAreKen has a brilliant futureRightYouAreKen has a brilliant futureRightYouAreKen has a brilliant futureRightYouAreKen has a brilliant futureRightYouAreKen has a brilliant futureRightYouAreKen has a brilliant futureRightYouAreKen has a brilliant future
RightYouAreKen's Tacoma Gallery
If you buy the trailer from a dealer they should be more than happy to sell and install the weight diet and sway control equipment for you. It shouldnt take more than 15 minutes I wouldn't think.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:02 AM   #5
scottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scottri's Tacoma Gallery
I have a long bed. The weight distribution hitch can be purchased and set up from a dealer that you buy the trailer from. I"m sure you can do it yourself, it's just hand tools with the exception of a wrench for putting the actual ball on. You need to take measurements before and after and adjust the hitch. I'd just have the dealer do it. I paid $400 for my weight distribution hitch and sway control and the setup. It tool them about 45 minutes to set it up. You will need to have your trailer there so they can adjust it to the trailer.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:44 PM   #6
Member Caught Off Road
AWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
AWorthyOpponent's Tacoma Gallery
Once, I pulled a friends into a spot. It was a Slippery field, and he was 2wd with street tires...

Does that count as a long haul?