Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Pulling out another truck: worst case scenario?

Old 06-23-2012, 12:18 AM   #1
live4perfection will become famous soon enoughlive4perfection will become famous soon enough
live4perfection's Tacoma Gallery
Pulling out another truck: worst case scenario?

Ok...so we've all pulled out other trucks. Sometimes we're on pavement/gravel/dirt roads/hard packed sand while they're in mud/sand or even down a hill etc. At times all we've ever needed was a soft pull/hard tug/accelerated pop etc...but what I'm wanting to know is say we're also on loose sand or thick mud etc...should I put my truck on 4hi (normal drive, down shift 1,2,3) or 4low etc? Every time I've ever pulled someone out I've always been able to place myself in a pretty position. So I've never really experienced this worst case scenario. Say someone is stuck in middle of a crop field...how do u guys go about it? Or maybe in extremely loose sand. Let me know.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:21 AM   #2
Greg Graffin 2016
WhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andre
WhatThePho?'s Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to WhatThePho?
Air down, 4 low, diff locked. only got 1 shot sometimes don't want to mess it up.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:22 AM   #3
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
Don't pull while in reverse..only if you absolutely have to. Pulling in reverse greatly increases the chance of breaking the rear ring and pinion gears ..
Old 06-24-2012, 09:30 PM   #4
enigmadsm has a brilliant futureenigmadsm has a brilliant futureenigmadsm has a brilliant futureenigmadsm has a brilliant futureenigmadsm has a brilliant futureenigmadsm has a brilliant futureenigmadsm has a brilliant futureenigmadsm has a brilliant futureenigmadsm has a brilliant futureenigmadsm has a brilliant futureenigmadsm has a brilliant future
Name: Nate
enigmadsm's Tacoma Gallery
I was in 4 lo, locked and aired down to 17psi trying to pull a taco up a rock wall that was high centered. Dirt was too soft and I couldn't hook...ended up hooking my winch up to another 4runner that was in front of me. we didn't have a second tow strap, I've been told that using a winchline like a tow strap is not advised, so we left the front 4runner in park and as the winch was pulling i was giving my 4runner gas at the same time. that extra bump and having the other truck as an anchor for me was all we needed
Old 06-24-2012, 09:33 PM   #5
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
use a snatch strap, not a tow strap.

get a little bit of momentum and the strap will spring and yank them out. This works well in mud or sand.

EDIT: 4lo and air down if needed.
Old 06-24-2012, 09:36 PM   #6
Jetfixer
aptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adrian
aptech's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by live4perfection View Post
Ok...so we've all pulled out other trucks. Sometimes we're on pavement/gravel/dirt roads/hard packed sand while they're in mud/sand or even down a hill etc. At times all we've ever needed was a soft pull/hard tug/accelerated pop etc...but what I'm wanting to know is say we're also on loose sand or thick mud etc...should I put my truck on 4hi (normal drive, down shift 1,2,3) or 4low etc? Every time I've ever pulled someone out I've always been able to place myself in a pretty position. So I've never really experienced this worst case scenario. Say someone is stuck in middle of a crop field...how do u guys go about it? Or maybe in extremely loose sand. Let me know.
when your pulling dont shift unless your goin fwd real good. ive found that is better to just play with the gas and leave it in first /4lo its better. watch your revs and keep it steady.
Old 06-24-2012, 09:40 PM   #7
Jetfixer
aptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shed

aptech's Tacoma Gallery
ok your auto. most of my pulls are on lose beach sand. 4lo. lo gear rear lock if you have it
once you get moving then your good. ive yet to get stuck with my dc trd offroad. i always lock the rear also. and below 3 miles atrac is on automatic so you have equalpower all wheels. impressive trucks we have
Old 06-24-2012, 09:41 PM   #8
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
If you're not gonna be able to get another vehicle to help you, don't get yourself stuck.

If he's buried, clear everything you can from in front and under him. 4LO and pull going forward. If winching, never rely on park to hold you. Use your brakes from inside the vehicle and chock your tires if you can. If whatever you're driving on is soft but not hard enough to fall through just idling through it, then you can run back and forth across it to pack it down into a ramp, sometimes. This goes for snow sometimes as well.

With sand you can usually wet it and it firms up.

Airing down helps a lot to not get yourself stuck and to get the other person out. Just don't pop a bead in the mud, no fun.

Oh and if you start digging in, just stop and fill in the holes, don't bury yourself trying to power out.
Old 06-24-2012, 09:41 PM   #9
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by aptech View Post
ok your auto. most of my pulls are on lose beach sand. 4lo. lo gear rear lock if you have it
once you get moving then your good. ive yet to get stuck with my dc trd offroad. i always lock the rear also. and below 3 miles atrac is on automatic so you have equal-ish power all wheels. impressive trucks we have
fixed that for you
Old 06-24-2012, 09:45 PM   #10
Cypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 2A773 Retired
Cypherian's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by live4perfection View Post
Add a set of maxtraxx to your gear might not even have to strap on :}
http://www.winchline.com/maxtrax.html my opinon why risk breaking your equip,truck etc or as was suggested burying yourself if you don't have to.

Cypher
Old 06-24-2012, 09:54 PM   #12
Jetfixer

aptech's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypherian View Post
Add a set of maxtraxx to your gear might not even have to strap on :}
http://www.winchline.com/maxtrax.html my opinon why risk breaking your equip,truck etc or as was suggested burying yourself if you don't have to.

Cypher
jeez 300 bucks aint to cheap the look real good though.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:00 PM   #13
Jetfixer

aptech's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
l my opinon why risk breaking your equip,truck etc or as was suggested burying yourself if you don't have to.

Cypher
golden rule. id want some one to help me and not charge 50 to 100 for a pull. so i do it and smile and if they can pay then they will offer if not my karma meter goes up; any way you look at it i win
Old 06-24-2012, 10:07 PM   #14
Cypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 2A773 Retired
Cypherian's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
golden rule. id want some one to help me and not charge 50 to 100 for a pull. so i do it and smile and if they can pay then they will offer if not my karma meter goes up; any way you look at it i win
Oh I would help the first thing I would try though is the maxtraxx and a little shoveling. I am not a off road expert in any field but have a fair bit of time in a hummer in the sand and regular trucks in the snow. Unfortunately I have seen first hand what happens when the stuck person guns it to help get out of the hole and runs right into the back of the person HELPING :{ Though most of the time it was in snow and ice two or three times on sand. So if I can just traxx them out no risk and my karma is still intact :} http://www.expeditionportal.com/reso...dder-test.html

Cypher
Old 06-24-2012, 10:08 PM   #15
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
Quote:
ive never accepted money for pulls or yanks or yanks..it's how i keep the trail karma flowing ..and, that's just normal trail courtesy to help others out anyways
Old 06-24-2012, 10:28 PM   #16
Jetfixer

aptech's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Oh I would help the first thing I would try though is the maxtraxx and a little shoveling. I am not a off road expert in any field but have a fair bit of time in a hummer in the sand and regular trucks in the snow. Unfortunately I have seen first hand what happens when the stuck person guns it to help get out of the hole and runs right into the back of the person HELPING :{ Though most of the time it was in snow and ice two or three times on sand. So if I can just traxx them out no risk and my karma is still intact :} http://www.expeditionportal.com/reso...dder-test.html

Cypher
your make a good point about the stuck person.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:35 PM   #17
Jetfixer

aptech's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyProof View Post
ive never accepted money for pulls or yanks or yanks..it's how i keep the trail karma flowing ..and, that's just normal trail courtesy to help others out anyways
on the beaches here there are tow vultures that wait at the soft spots. thats how they make their bread i guess. if the stuck beach tourist calls a tow truck to get them out there looking at a 120 to 200 dollar pull. i would except money if offered. because who am i to not allow the other person give blessings to hum they choice. yeah having good karma is better than the alternative.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:37 PM   #18
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
I've got a set of fiberglass waffle boards, same concept as the max trax. Smittybilt makes a cheaper set FWIW.

They work great though, a lot easier on the trucks and takes the risk out of it too.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:32 PM   #19
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Polymerhead's Tacoma Gallery
You guys put it in 1st when in 4lo, or just in drive?
Old 06-25-2012, 07:42 PM   #20
Jetfixer

aptech's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polymerhead View Post
You guys put it in 1st when in 4lo, or just in drive?
first /lo