1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need a ball mount. How much drop??

Discussion in 'Towing' started by ExOkie, Jun 26, 2012.

1. Jun 26, 2012 at 12:07 PM
    ExOkie

ExOkie [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Denver Metro
    Vehicle:
    02 Red TRD
    Deckplate Mod, Airaid Intake Hose and Filter Kit, Leer 100R Camper Shell, WeatherTech floor mats, WeatherTech bug deflector, WeatherTech window deflectors
    I have an '02 4WD TRD with the factory towing package. I have stock springs and stock size tires. Is a 2" drop sufficient and standard?

Thanks for any advice!

2. Jun 26, 2012 at 12:09 PM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    really depends on the trailer you are towing. back the truck up to trailer and get a tape measure and see what you need. 2” drop is prob a good one tho.

3. Jun 26, 2012 at 12:18 PM
    Robertgeejr1

Robertgeejr1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Aorora, Ill, yeah!
    Vehicle:
    1996 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
    I have done all the hi-pro mods for a life time, since I got this truck at a great price, I will be happy with showroom new.
    you have to be careful and measure as you go. keep in mind, not sure what you are towing, but our trucks have saggy granny springs, and she might squat.

4. Jun 26, 2012 at 12:31 PM
    ExOkie

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Denver Metro
    Vehicle:
    02 Red TRD
    Deckplate Mod, Airaid Intake Hose and Filter Kit, Leer 100R Camper Shell, WeatherTech floor mats, WeatherTech bug deflector, WeatherTech window deflectors
    Renting an 18' "expandable" trailer and towing it about 200 miles rt on a fairly flat interstate. The trailer is 3500 GVWR, unloaded 2490 lbs. Hitch weight is 262#

5. Jun 26, 2012 at 12:44 PM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    x2. i “flipped” my mount to wear it goes UP (rise) not drop. than agin i’m 2nd gen and our trailer is kinda high. since it’s 7’ wide ATV trailer. wheels are under the trailers deck.

6. Jun 26, 2012 at 3:32 PM
    MJonaGS32

MJonaGS32 MJ on a GS

Member:
    First Name:
    MJ
    SF Bay Area (East)
    Vehicle:
    07 LT 4x4 DCSB 6spd Vagabond
    Drifter wedge camper, Dual battery, OBA, ARB locker, 4.56 gears
    wherever you're renting it from, get the tongue height. then measure your hitch to and from the ground. subtract the tongue height from that and then add another ~3" to account for the rise of the hitch ball

7. Jul 2, 2012 at 11:31 AM
    ExOkie

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Denver Metro
    Vehicle:
    02 Red TRD
    OK so the rental company says I need a 2" ball with the top of the ball between 18" - 22" abg. The top of my receiver is right at 20". So using your math (and accounting for spring squat") a 2" drop seems about right doesn't it?

BTW thanks for all of your help.

8. Jul 21, 2012 at 4:00 PM
    ExOkie

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Denver Metro
    Vehicle:
    02 Red TRD
    Guess what? We had to flip my mount after we saw how much my rear end sagged when we put the trailer on it. The listed 260# tongue weight was BS. My friend and I couldn't budge it once it was off the truck. The trailer had a single axle almost 2/3 of the way back.

I quickly found out last weekend that I won't be pulling a travel trailer again unless it's a VERY small one! :eek:

Products Discussed in

To Top