Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

uHaul won't let me tow a MAZDA with a Dolly???

View Poll Results: Safe to tow an 01 Mazda 626 on a uHaul Dolly with a 96 Tacoma 4x4 V6 Ext Cab?
Yes 50 75.76%
No 16 24.24%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-03-2012, 12:29 PM   #1
Bruno will become famous soon enoughBruno will become famous soon enough
Firefighter: Firefighter/Paramedic
Name: Bruno
Bruno's Tacoma Gallery
uHaul won't let me tow a MAZDA with a Dolly???

I drive a 1996 Tacoma 4x4 V6 Extended Cab. Class 3 Hitch/Ball. Capacity is 5,000lbs. I am moving cross country from San Diego to Tampa Bay and need to tow my girlfriend's 2001 Mazda 626 4cyl. Weighs approx 2800 lbs. I bought the hitch/wiring harness, installed it all and got to uHaul and they're telling me that I cannot tow this car using my truck and their dolly???

This is bullshit right? Would I be safe doing this even if I don't meet they're requirements? If it is indeed safe, I will say I'm towing a 67 beetle or something really light so they'll let me have it and do it anyways.

What do you guys think? Need options fast. Moving in 4 days.

Old 07-03-2012, 12:31 PM   #2
runyun is on a distinguished road
runyun's Tacoma Gallery
Not sure if exactly safe, but they go based off the gross weight of the vehicle doing the towing. I ran into same situation and told them I was towing something small (forgot, but did it online through their site)
Old 07-03-2012, 12:33 PM   #3
Schwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedSchwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedSchwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedSchwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedSchwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedSchwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedSchwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedSchwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedSchwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedSchwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedSchwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jamie
Schwinn's Tacoma Gallery
LOL wut? Unless you were towing an all-wheel drive, or the car was too low (my RX-7 had to be put on a flat-bed), or towing with the drive wheels on the ground, I can't possibly see what the problem would be. Unless there's something I'm missing, sounds like BS to me.
Old 07-03-2012, 12:34 PM   #4
gooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
Name: Kyle
gooch14's Tacoma Gallery
I towed a giant stinkin' lincoln that was broke down in a pay parking lot and racked up like $150 in tickets with a dolly that wouldn't stay up (unloaded) and kept dragging down the road as i went to get said lincoln, and then the wiring harness was so effed it shorted out the tails on my truck. I'd say eff em all and do what you want.
Old 07-03-2012, 12:34 PM   #5
Schwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedSchwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedSchwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedSchwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedSchwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedSchwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedSchwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedSchwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedSchwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedSchwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedSchwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Schwinn's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by runyun View Post
Not sure if exactly safe, but they go based off the gross weight of the vehicle doing the towing. I ran into same situation and told them I was towing something small (forgot, but did it online through their site)
I would only think that it would matter if the gross weight exceeded the towing vehicles, and unless the hatch is full of lead, I'm pretty sure he'd be okay that way.
Old 07-03-2012, 12:37 PM   #6
Bruno's Tacoma Gallery
ok so you guys think Im good telling them that I'm towing a 1953 Volkswagon beetle and just tow the mazda? My truck will also have a grip of stuff in the bed too...

Need solid recommendations....I don't have towing experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runyun View Post
So you did what I'm suggesting and you were good with it. I mean if its not safe then thats another question...I won't do it if its not safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooch14 View Post
I towed a giant stinkin' lincoln that was broke down in a pay parking lot and racked up like $150 in tickets with a dolly that wouldn't stay up (unloaded) and kept dragging down the road as i went to get said lincoln, and then the wiring harness was so effed it shorted out the tails on my truck. I'd say eff em all and do what you want.
Pretty sure the issue has to do with GVWR or towing capacity rather than the clearance issue.
Old 07-03-2012, 12:40 PM   #7
gooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
Name: Kyle
gooch14's Tacoma Gallery
I didn't think it was a clearance issue, simply giving a little anecdote for my distaste with Ya'll Haul
Old 07-03-2012, 12:41 PM   #8
Bruno's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooch14 View Post
I didn't think it was a clearance issue, simply giving a little anecdote for my distaste with Ya'll Haul
Gotcha, yeah, theyre bastards. Just the attitude I got, they were more amped to tell me no than to help me explore options. Hate that.
Old 07-03-2012, 12:46 PM   #9
Schwinn's Tacoma Gallery
Found this, where part way down, it recommends towing with a dolly specifically for a Mazda 626-
http://mazdarx.narod.ru/manual/TOWING_THE_VEHICLE.htm
Old 07-03-2012, 12:51 PM   #10
Robertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
Robertgeejr1's Tacoma Gallery
I am sure it would be safe, in the poor days of the early 90's I towed this to canton ohio,
with a mazda b2200

made 3 trips to memphis tenn with my nissan hardbody towing this

went through the mountians fine.
Old 07-03-2012, 12:58 PM   #11
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Is it a capacity issue with the dolly itself? Why are they telling you it's unsafe as in, what's their reasoning?
Old 07-03-2012, 01:06 PM   #12
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
U-Haul is super conservative when it comes to towing. They will barely let you tow a go cart with a F350 diesel.
Old 07-03-2012, 02:50 PM   #13
Robertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

they have had lots of accidents and lawsuits. believe me over the years I have seen some stupid shit.
Old 07-03-2012, 02:54 PM   #14
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
The dolly has brakes, right?
Old 07-03-2012, 03:01 PM   #15

not the single axle, from what I have seen only the double axle has brakes.

If it was me, I could do it with no trouble. the whole secret in towing is taking your time.
Old 07-03-2012, 03:08 PM   #16
2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

2000GTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
as long as the car is strapped on properly and you take your time i dont see any problems towing the car.
Old 07-03-2012, 03:13 PM   #17
matt1381 is on a distinguished road
Name: Matt
matt1381's Tacoma Gallery
I had the same problem with Uhaul. I have a 2005 double cab with the tow package and they wouldn't let me trailer a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon. They told me the weight of the jeep plus the trailer was more than the weight of my truck. Went to another Uhaul told them I was towing a 1991 MR2 and had no problems getting a trailer. They will have no idea what you are towing anyway.
Old 07-03-2012, 03:24 PM   #18
rydaniels is on a distinguished road
Name: Ryan
rydaniels's Tacoma Gallery
for what its worth, uhual "let me" tow a 6x12 enclosed trailer (empty at 1950 and GVW was over 4000 lbs) with my 2010 4x4, 4cyl. there were no questions asked they just slapped it on for me and I was on my way. that being said, i was under my max towing capacity by about 500 lbs (3500 per toyota). I guess its all a matter of who is going to be a pain about the whole thing. try doing it online there is not any sort of prompt or question of "what exactly are you towing"
Old 07-03-2012, 03:30 PM   #19
Artificial Intelligence beats natural stupidity
easyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
easyeatlanta's Tacoma Gallery
i saw someone get on the interstate with a u-haul and hit a bump and someone hadn't latched the trailer and it shot off was quite an interesting situation
Old 07-03-2012, 03:32 PM   #20
Living vicariously through everybody
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TW'S Hippy Liberal
derekabraham's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyeatlanta View Post
i saw someone get on the interstate with a u-haul and hit a bump and someone hadn't latched the trailer and it shot off was quite an interesting situation
derp.

OP, I'm pretty sure you'd be fine.